MN Daily: A powerhouse in state sports, Eden Prairie High School feeds the U of M

The enrollment is a huge advantage. I went to Bloomington schools and we basically had Olson Jr. High for 7th/8th grade. That school would have like 4 football teams, an A and B team for 2 different weight classes. Those teams would whoop up on teams from E.P. and other places, but then come 9th grade half the kids go off to Jefferson and half off to Kennedy and both teams stunk.

I'm gonna chime in here because I'd like to ask a question: epgopher - are you actually saying that your son was on a 3rd 9th grade team (C-team) and a 2nd 10th grade team(B-team) and then moved up to play/start as a Jr/Sr?

If so, I'll agree that's pretty uncommon, but only because how many schools in the state actually have 3 9th grade teams? Criminy, that's massive. I went to a fairly large metro school 350-400 kids per class, but EP has 1100 kids per class. But as for your general point, I completely agree with Rosemountain that kids not playing or playing on B/C teams as Fr/Sophs can play and start as Jr/Srs. In my (apparently lowly) HS, I didn't start or play much as Fr/So on the 9th/10th teams, but I gained 6 in in height and 60 pounds in 3 years to start the whole season as a Sr.

EPs success has been a combination of things - good coaching, a financial and time commitment to sports from the community, good youth programs - but their #1 thing they have going for them is numbers. Football is - much, much more than any other sport - a numbers game. You need 22 starters plus a dozen or so key fill-ins and backups. When you have 550 boys in every grade to pick from, the chances of you getting 22 good ones goes way up. Moreover, it's not like they're winning with brilliant innovative playcalling. I caught part of the title game this year, and it confirmed what I've seen every other time I've watched Mike Grant's teams - dull as dirt. They mix up the direction they'll run at you, but basically it's just smashmouth football. They have the size & discipline to do it, and they win, so I don't fault them at all for doing it. But it's just boring to watch. The Strib or someone had an article on their QB - he had thrown 29 passes... this season! I understand it - why would you pass when you can just run over people, but don't expect me to like it, or to chalk it up to brilliant innovative coaching. It's mostly raw numbers, pure and simple.

You are correct. EP does have a numbers advantage but the additional point I was trying to make is that EP further leverages that by providing a playing opportunity for 80+ kids (3 teams) in 9th grade with a full 8-game schedule including travel. In spite of Rosemountian's claims to the contrary, that seemed to be rather unique at the time and enhances their numbers advantage down the road.

Also, to clarify because erroneous numbers get thrown out there EP's enrollment was/is in the 3000+ range over 4 classes. My son's class ('08) was just over 800 and my daughter's ('10) just under 800. We were the largest school but now trail Wayzata slightly.

I'm with you on the EP offense. It's not real exciting to watch, especially when EP gets a lead in the 2nd half and proceeds to take the air out of the ball to grind the clock. Grant Shafer did not play QB for much of the year as he was moved to safety early before returning to play QB later in the year so that pass number isn't surprising. We threw the ball about 100 times each in 2006/07 so a little more dynamic but absolutely a run-first approach. EP's defense has always been the foundation of it's teams (Mike G works primarily with the O).

I'm going to refrain from posting anymore on this subject as the OP has long since been derailed and I regret contributing to that derailment. The Daily story was about 20 EP athletes who are now Golden Gophers, only 2 of which are football players. I am a proud supporter of all Gopher athletes regardless of high-school affiliation and would rather see the focus placed on the athletes and teams.

Because every other high school in the state doesn't do this.
Seriously.
Get off your high horse, 80% of varsity programs do this and the number is probably closer 90% in the metro.

What? I:

A) grew up in kansas
B) admitted other schools might do this
C) stated this in my post

Wow. Sorry your high school isn't good at sports but it really isn't that important

Top Bottom