Mitch Browning to Tenn?

Maximus

Reaction score
As a graduate assistant?

Mitch Browning back to college

Browning, who was a part-time coach at North Carolina State from 1980-81 when UT defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin was head coach there, must be accepted into a graduate program before he can officially begin work as a graduate assistant with the Vols.

I don't know what to make of this. Good news? Sad news? Hilarious news?

He is coaching for a great program with great tradition and support. I have been to Knoxville many times and it is a nice place to live. I don't see it as sad or funny. Mitch Browning is a great offensive mind and orchestrated one of the greatest rushing attacks in NCAA. He has nothing to prove to anyone and if he sees himself happy coaching for the Vols, so be it.

Thanks Mitch Browning for what you did for this program and putting RB's in the NFL, seeing Gophers in the NFL is priceless.

Tennessee fan here, congrats on turning around your basketball program and getting a new football stadium.

From what I understand he's accepting the GA position on the assumption that we're going to have at least one staff defection at the end of the season and he will be named the replacement... and since he's still being paid by Syracuse there isn't a lot of concern there.

It is incredibly weird though, when the rumor first came up I just assumed that it was typical message board rumormongering. Pretty excited about it now though... although I do wonder how happy the NCAA is about it all. Not a violation of rules, but it does get into that gray area... but this is the world we decided to enter when we got rid of Coach Fulmer.

Caban, You will be happy with what ever role Browning plays on your staff, his system made Marion Barber III. Marion Barber was not highly recruited and people wanted him as a DB. Browning made him a pro bowl running back. He can make anybody a 1,000 yard rusher

used to watch quite a bit of Minnesota football under Glen Mason and would have hated to run into the Gophers as it seemed like you could run the ball on anyone. I'm very excited.

sorry lawrence but marion made him self into the pro bowl player. was browning with him in dallas? no. its called work ethic. he also has some pretty good genes to work with. i think it goes back to minnesota kids not getting the stars like some of the bigger states kids do

browning i think is a very good coach. good hire by tenn

"good hire by tenn"

If you can get a guy with his experience to be a GA, it's a great hire, any time.

Sorry that I poked fun at your pal Lawrence. I wasn't saying he's a bad guy. The reason I didn't know how to take the news is because of how bizarre it is - a man older than my father taking a position usually held by kids fresh out of college. Our friend Caban has offered a bit of insight into why this may be happening, but on the surface, there's something crazy and borderline funny in spending 28 years on D1 coaching staffs only to become a GA somewhere, regardless of that program's prestige.

Brownings not my buddy, but I think sometimes we judge people by their accomplishments and titles too much. If he decided he was content to coach a high school team we would say "he must suck and could not get hired by any good program". I say do whats right for you and don't worry about peoples perception. You don't need to be always climbing the ladder to the next biggest thing unless that is what you want. Is a stay at home dad worth less than a CEO because he does not have a title and is not climbing the corporate ladder? Anyways i was not mad or negative about your post, just giving my opinion.

I think it's funny because he is kind of sticking it to the NCAA and Syracuse. He is getting paid by Syracuse (maybe he would not be if he took a coaching job, much like our situation with Dunbar) and Tennessee is getting away with having an extra coach then what is allowed by having him be a graduate assistant and technically not a paid coach.

Sotakid, Reality check. Without Browning Barber is a college DB and maybe not drafted. Without Browning's system Barber may not be a multiple 1,000 yard rusher with a butt load of TD's. Does Barber have good genes and talent and work ethic? of course he does. But Browning gave him opportunity to showcase himself and a system that gave him the opportunity to pile on yards and Touchdowns on any team in the country. And for the most part Minnesota high school athletes suck, the good ones are few and far between.

Your assessment of MN high school athletics.

Interesting points re: Barber/Browning however - hadn't given it much thought...

Sucks may have been too strong a word. When compared to the number of D1 athletes states like Texas, Ohio, Florida, California, etc. produce Minnesota lags way way behind. Could be less months of good weather to practice in, could be level of competition, could be may things, but we do not seem to be very athletic when compared to many other states.

Caban, You will be happy with what ever role Browning plays on your staff, his system made Marion Barber III. Marion Barber was not highly recruited and people wanted him as a DB. Browning made him a pro bowl running back. He can make anybody a 1,000 yard rusher

Vic Adamle was the RB coach. I think he deserves some credit. I saw great improvement from every back under him especially those who started from year one to year two etc...

I am sure Vic Adamle was good as well, whoever we put in the backfield excelled and that means good coaches and systems.

Have to agree with Caban on this. The NCAA must not like this.

UT is changing college football, and not in a good way.

Top Bottom