Miss out on 2 but get 1.

WolfontheProwl

Reaction score
Good friend of mine just said T. Paige is a Gopher! To bad we didnt get Carter or McNeal but we did get a pretty good JUCO CB who will help next year.

Do have anything other than the word of your friend? A link perhaps? I hope it's true, I'm guessing he could help.

Premium link on GI by Zach says Gophers add 4 star prospect, but since I have no subscription......

No idea where he saw it.

I have no clue where he saw it just said that Paige was a Gopher. Have to wonder if he was waiting on Carter before he made a verbal. Paige really seems like an odd get for the Gophers. He is a good player and a nice recruit to bring in but would he even have a chance to start next year with Simmons and Sherels coming back? He might be lucky to start for 1 year.

Hopefully Paige is good enough to at least challenge Collado as the nickle back. We need more depth at that position, this seems like a solid pickup!

Hopefully Paige is good enough to at least challenge Collado as the nickle back. We need more depth at that position, this seems like a solid pickup!

I'll take it!

Sounds like the Gophers would not have Carter for the full time either, so I guess it is a nice consolation prize and to focus on getting a few for next year!

I'm not sure Sherrels should be a lock to start.

Phew, that's a relief. I needed some good football news today.

I can see him pushing Sherels for playing time. I'll take him over Collado in nickel situations too.

Premium link on GI by Zach says Gophers add 4 star prospect, but since I have no subscription......

They also said McNeal was going to Oregon, Carter was a lock for Minnesota, and Lane Kiffin would be our next head coach when Brewster was hired. The recruiting sites are good but would definitely not take their statements as fact by any means.

They also said McNeal was going to Oregon, Carter was a lock for Minnesota, and Lane Kiffin would be our next head coach when Brewster was hired. The recruiting sites are good but would definitely not take their statements as fact by any means.
McNeal to Oregon & Carter to Minnesota were pure conjecture. Neither one of those came from the horse's mouth...so that's a fail. As far as Kiffin to Minnesota, that is what everyone was hoping for, and everyone thought he was ours when he said he wanted to be at Minnesota. Tim Brewster came from out of nowhere. Our admins did not make an official report about any of those guys.

As far as the thread you guys are trying to spy on, that is an official announcement, where the recruit in question actually said he committed to Minnesota. That is a big difference.

If Paige can't find playing time next year, he isn't that good to begin with!

McNeal to Oregon & Carter to Minnesota were pure conjecture. Neither one of those came from the horse's mouth...so that's a fail. As far as Kiffin to Minnesota, that is what everyone was hoping for, and everyone thought he was ours when he said he wanted to be at Minnesota. Tim Brewster came from out of nowhere. Our admins did not make an official report about any of those guys.

As far as the thread you guys are trying to spy on, that is an official announcement, where the recruit in question actually said he committed to Minnesota. That is a big difference.

Thanks for clearing it up, now I know that when the writers write the story or post, but the word "official" is not present to disregard it. Or maybe I should wait for the "little birdy" to leak the inside info again.

Thanks for clearing it up, now I know that when the writers write the story or post, but the word "official" is not present to disregard it. Or maybe I should wait for the "little birdy" to leak the inside info again.
They don't post a commitment until that recruit either contacts them or they contact the recruit for confirmation. They did not state that McNeal committed to Oregon or Carter committed to Minnesota. They only guessed where they may end up, kind of like what everyone does here, but I guess since they're admins they can't speculate. Hope this helps.

Sherels was our best cb until he got hurt...then he played hurt the rest of the year knowing he would most likely need surgery after the season, so in my book he's got his job in place.

Sherels was our best cornerback before getting hurt? There is no way he was playing as well as Traye Simmons. He plays tentative, never looks for the ball, and is at best an adequate tackler who had some big whifs this year. It was his first year playing corner so he will improve but I wouldn't say he played well enough to guarantee a starting spot.

Paige should be starting opposite BPT. If he can't beat out Sherels who was a walk on WR, his 4 star ranking has a lot of people fooled. That said, there have been 4 stars who are complete busts (Paris Hamilton, Alex Daniels, etc) but it should be an indication the kid has the tools, unless he's a complete tool (see Alex Daniels)

I could be wrong.

I think Sherels and Traye Simmons were the top two players in passes defensed in the Big Ten after a couple weeks. Maybe I am wrong but Sherels looked pretty damn good until he got hurt. By the way lets remember how much Simmons helped his team out in the Bowl Game. He had a nice year in all but getting yourself benched in the biggest game of the year for whatever reason doesnt impress me at all.

Im sure he will see the field barring injury, I doubt Brew would recruit a juco player for his future potential.

Ah yes....the ups and downs of recruiting in the 21st century!!!:p

Paige is a very good pickup. With Carter, we'd need him to gain about 20 or 30 pounds of muscle in order to be a viable contributor, which would probably take a year or two. Paige sounds like he might be ready to play right away next year and since Roof recruited him, he obviously feels that Paige is an instant contributor.

Lose one, gain one (I don't consider McNeal losing anything, since he was never going to come here anyway). Now, we need to fill a couple of more slots to finish up on a strong note. :)

I think Sherels and Traye Simmons were the top two players in passes defensed in the Big Ten after a couple weeks. Maybe I am wrong but Sherels looked pretty damn good until he got hurt. By the way lets remember how much Simmons helped his team out in the Bowl Game. He had a nice year in all but getting yourself benched in the biggest game of the year for whatever reason doesnt impress me at all.

He missed one play.

I myself am very happy with this commit. Brew knows where are weaknesses are and he is getting jucos and transfers to play the most need spots. ex. secondary/o-line. These kids CAN come in and make imediate impact. This class I'm guessing is getting almost filled, with the exception at d-line they really want Nosa and maybe a unknown JC. Nice get Brew! Our secondary is starting to get a little deeper, which will create more competition and that will be nice to see for once.

Top Bottom