Minnesota's P.J. Fleck still tinkering with offensive line before Big Ten schedule begins

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Tommy:

During a press conference on Monday, Fleck was asked what he wants to learn about his team before Big Ten play begins in Week 4 against the Iowa Hawkeyes.

"I think as we keep going forward, if you ask specifically, our offensive line. It kind of reminds me a little bit of the 2019 offensive line where we played a lot of different players and I think you can see that," Fleck said.

"It's not like there's not going to be some controversy in who's the fifth. We're gonna play probably a lot of guys as the season goes through, and I think that might be what's best for this particular year."

Go Gophers!!

A nice way of saying "we're still trying to figure out who is the starting RT."

I'm with Ryan Burns on this - Gophers are better off with Carroll at RG - but for that to happen, someone has to come forward and claim the RT job. Lewis hasn't done it. Looks like they like Beers better on the inside. so Phillip Daniels - here's your shot.

A nice way of saying "we're still trying to figure out who is the starting RT."

I'm with Ryan Burns on this - Gophers are better off with Carroll at RG - but for that to happen, someone has to come forward and claim the RT job. Lewis hasn't done it. Looks like they like Beers better on the inside. so Phillip Daniels - here's your shot.
The 2019 team started with three close non-conference wins. All were struggles. A big part of that tenuous start was offensive line play. As we got into conference schedule the line jelled and the rest is 11-2 history.

Watching the line through binoculars is weird. At times they seemed confused, they'd have two guys lined up in front of an DL and on a few occasions ... neither blocked him and he ran free while the two OL suddenly realized they had nobody else to block. The opposing teams noticed that so they started shifting around to maximize that.

Other teams are going to keep that up.

Watching the line through binoculars is weird. At times they seemed confused, they'd have two guys lined up in front of an DL and on a few occasions ... neither blocked him and he ran free while the two OL suddenly realized they had nobody else to block. The opposing teams noticed that so they started shifting around to maximize that.

Other teams are going to keep that up.
Such a problem doesn't mean our OL are physically overmatched. The good news (and bad news, I suppose) is that this is simply a coaching, preparation and communication problem, theoretically quite fixable ... but who knows?

What Burns and House are saying is that on any given play, 4 of the 5 OL will execute their assignments and one guy will mess up - but it's not the same guy all the time. so the feeling is that the talent is there, but it's about consistency and execution.

71 just isn’t very good and frankly neither is 77. I’m happy to see some of the young guys getting a chance. As far as blown assignments, it’s inexcusable for that to be happening regularly I repeat what I said in another post — football isn’t rocket science they should and I’m sure have practiced a ton against all kinds of shift and stunts and d fronts and there are simple, basic rules that the kids need to follow re how to handle that — these guys should be hitting on all cylinders. If it’s a talent or confidence or smarts problem then next man up.

71 just isn’t very good and frankly neither is 77. I’m happy to see some of the young guys getting a chance. As far as blown assignments, it’s inexcusable for that to be happening regularly I repeat what I said in another post — football isn’t rocket science they should and I’m sure have practiced a ton against all kinds of shift and stunts and d fronts and there are simple, basic rules that the kids need to follow re how to handle that — these guys should be hitting on all cylinders. If it’s a talent or confidence or smarts problem then next man up.
Have you let Fleck know your thoughts?

Zone blocking requires continuity and a lot of film study/communication. Good anticipation to of what the defender will do, or sniffing out a blitz. We seem to be seeing a lot of twist stunts in the middle, and wide blitzes to the outside by corners. Stepping up in the pocket will beat some of this. I'd say if the middle twist stunts are picked up the backs have a good chance of picking up the others. Would like to see Quinn Carrol continue to play right guard, seems to be his more natural spot, requires less foot speed. Hope Daniel's or Cooper can step up at Right tackle. Need to see some improved pass blocking Saturday.

Last edited:

Per Tommy:

During a press conference on Monday, Fleck was asked what he wants to learn about his team before Big Ten play begins in Week 4 against the Iowa Hawkeyes.

"I think as we keep going forward, if you ask specifically, our offensive line. It kind of reminds me a little bit of the 2019 offensive line where we played a lot of different players and I think you can see that," Fleck said.

"It's not like there's not going to be some controversy in who's the fifth. We're gonna play probably a lot of guys as the season goes through, and I think that might be what's best for this particular year."

Go Gophers!!
Do you... do you think he has another Daniel Faalele sitting around somewhere that we haven't seen. He would have to be hidden very well.

Let me saying this out loud. If the O line does not know what to do the coaching is at fault. So PJ is correct, its all on him. Thats not an excuse thats a reason. I could go on.

Let me saying this out loud. If the O line does not know what to do the coaching is at fault. So PJ is correct, its all on him. Thats not an excuse thats a reason. I could go on.
Yes, but this also happens in the NFL so it might just be a talent issue.

Everyone seems to be surprised with our offensive line - except me. Brian Callam has coached offensive line for PJ since 2017. Has several top individuals but never a top 10 rated line. Communication problems should never exist for an offensive line that has over 50 starts. It is coaching,plain and simple.

Everyone seems to be surprised with our offensive line - except me. Brian Callam has coached offensive line for PJ since 2017. Has several top individuals but never a top 10 rated line. Communication problems should never exist for an offensive line that has over 50 starts. It is coaching,plain and simple.
Yup, we are Minnesota. We get all these 5 star OL prospects and he does nothing with them.
Sure we often have an offensive lineman drafted in the first couple rounds of the NFL Draft but
everybody does that. No question, he's a bad coach.

Come on, man!

Yup, we are Minnesota. We get all these 5 star OL prospects and he does nothing with them.
Sure we often have an offensive lineman drafted in the first couple rounds of the NFL Draft but
everybody does that. No question, he's a bad coach.

Come on, man!
Jack Jones for Gophers OL coach!

In 2019 the Gopher O line and run game was a concern going into the B1G schedule. Then, things just fell into place.

In 2024 the Gopher O line and run game looks like it will be a concern going into the B1G schedule.

I take some comfort in knowing this has worked out in the past. But there are no guarantees history will repeat itself.

Top Bottom