Minnesota/Wisconsin on ESPN

They're never coming to Minnesota for GameDay unless we're hosing or Ohio State or Michigan and it's unlikely even then. They were discussing the Wisconsin game on ESPN radio this afternoon and basically mocking us, and the Big 10. One guy (not sure who) said he thinks Wisconsin is actually pretty good and will win easily and of course they both agreed that the Big 10 sucks. They then went on to discussing the USC/Cal game and how Cal isn't very good and they're 'big' win at Minnesota wasn't impressive. They did give minor props to the stadium but otherwise had nothing good to say.

I basically have no use for ESPN anymore other then to watch the games themselves since you have no choice.

I always laugh at posts like this. The Napoleon complex is alive and well on Gopher Hole, that's for sure.

What do you expect them to say? As much as I love the Gophers, this program has been meaningless and irrelevant on a national scale for 40 years. This will not change until we start winning. It's really quite simple. I would rather have a national media person talk about us because we deserve it, not as some token pat on the head for a job well done. We're getting there, but we still have a long ways to go.

And while I agree with you that Minn/Wis is a better choice than BC/FSU, there is an east coast bias at all levels of sport, and fighting it is pointless. It's like trying to ice skate uphill.

Again, I know they'd probably never come here anyways, but I hate that choice. Pick a good game. Something I can at least feign interest in.

I guess I historically haven't paid much attention to GameDay but I have noticed it RARELY seems to travel north of the Mason Dixon line and that includes games during beautiful weather in September. Over the years I have watched various groups complain about bias in ESPN's coverage and each time, it actually gets worse. They just tend to get on subjects (usually located in the east or southeast) and can't let go. The Seattle Seahawks team plane could crash killing everyone on board and it would be the second story behind what the Cowboys ate for their team meal. Brett Favre this, Brett Favre that and Yankees blah blah Red Sox.

For College Football, they have been dissing the Pac 10 for years and as of late they have piled on the Big 10 as well just at the same time their love affair for the SEC has gone public. There are several games that would be much better locations for Game Day this week. SECSPN probably thinks they are showing balance by departing the SEC to take in Florida State visiting the network's favorite city.

The Gophers probably haven't earned their love but I agree visiting TCF Bank Stadium for the longest rivalry in D1 or checking out the Cal/USC or Miami/OK game would be much better choices.

Top Bottom