Minnesota Walkons 2009?

DL65

Reaction score
LOI Day is a couple months away and the remaining available scholarship slots are dwindling. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to speculate and see what athletes opt to walkon for the Gophers in 2009. All successful college football teams have outstanding walkon programs. Mike Rallis, Marcus Sherrels are but two recent players that have contributed in big ways for the Gophers. In the case of Rallis, he opted to walkon when some major programs were trying to have him caste his lot with their teams.

The following are listed on SCOUT and Rivals that have listed Minnesota as a team of interest, have been offered by several schools in the Dakotas or the MAC, and in a couple cases ** Indiana or Stanford have offered tenders:

QB - Phillip Klaphake, Princeton, MN, 6-2, 180, 4.65 forty.

WR - Derrick Engel, Chaska, MN, 6-2, 170

DE - Cole Jirik, Northfield, MN, 6-4, 210

DB - Corey Frazier, Eden Prairie, MN, 6-1, 175 ** (Stanford)

Ath - Varmah Sonie, Apple Valley, MN, 5-10, 160

WR - Cooper Wahlo Jr., Woodbury, MN, 6-2, 175, 4.47 forty

DE - Leevon Perry, St. Paul, MN, 6-5, 245, 4.75 forty

Ath - Fritz Rock, Wayzata, MN, 6-0, 200, 4.57 forty ** (Indiana)

OT - Alex Dietzen, Appleton, WI, 6-8, 280

OT - Jared Volk, Hartland, WI, 6-5, 285

DE - Clay Gosse, Appleton, WI, 6-4, 235

Are there others that you'd like to see as preferred walkons?

Go Gophers!!

I know that NDSU and UNI are both

going after Engel, Jirik and Sonie hard. All have been offered full rides. Although it might seem hard to believe that a player would opt to play FCS rather than FBS football, but I think a free education is hard to pass up.

If Sonie decided to come here it could be huge. He is a good friend of Bryce McNeal and I listened to an interview with McNeal from last summer saying that if Sonie was offered at Minnesota he would go there too. I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist of it.

Top Bottom