Minnesota vs New Hampshire 2012

metrolax

Reaction score
I just got a quick word that UNH is announcing that they are playing at TCF Bank in 2012.
Do we have a confirmation of that from our end?

UNH is a tough little football team- ask Northwestern. They might be "FCS" in name, but
name only. Those 'cats can play. A very, very interesting match-up.

I have no problem with an FCS team on our schedule each year, and my preference
would be that they were somewhat local for obvious reasons. That being said, UNH
is a team that will provide a challenge.

Too bad we don't have a non-conference game in November that year - would be cool to get New Hampshire here for hockey and football in the same weekend.

Hello Carlson Companies!!!!!!!

If this becomes a home and away offer. Start booking New England fall tours with a game ticket. Spend a week in New England, pick up some real Maple Syrup. Sure there are fall color defenders here in Minnesota, but New Hampshire in the fall is A+.

A trip to the Northeast would be fun but a home and home with UNH? I think this is a one way deal.

Is this Sid starting rumors? Is that Texas game official yet? I didn't think so.

If this becomes a home and away offer. Start booking New England fall tours with a game ticket. Spend a week in New England, pick up some real Maple Syrup. Sure there are fall color defenders here in Minnesota, but New Hampshire in the fall is A+.

New Hampshire may be gorgeous in the fall, but if we end up with a H&H deal with a FCS team then Maturi needs to sit in the corner with a dunce cap on! :p

Good Get

A top FSC team along with UNLV, Colorado and Syracuse in 2012. It would be nice if OSU fell off the conference schedule soon.

No disprespect to New Hampshire, but I would prefer a game against a more local I-AA opponent. And I-A teams do not play road games against I-AA teams. I've never heard of a I-A team playing a I-AA team on the road, has that ever happened? You don't see I-AA teams playing D-II teams on the road. No matter how good that I-AA team is, for a I-A team to go on the road to play them would make that team a national laughing stock.

Schedule pretty full

Only five open spots for the next 7 years. I know things can change, but schedules look pretty respectable. I'd love to see Notre Dame or Nebraska in one of those years.

2 in 2010
1 in 2011
1 in 2014
1 in 2015

This game does nothing for me or the program. Screw the 1-AA schools. I'd rather play a directional school from the Sun Belt that's at least trying to play at the highest level. This is a 1-AA school that's in a part of the country that offers no recruiting advantage. I see no positive that can come out of this matchup...only negatives.

Darren, with all due respect, I still like the match-up. Scheduling is never easy,
and you don't always get the "Perfect" team. Sometimes, you see the landscape, you
receive responses, and oftentimes you find your options limited. You do the best you
can.

Lately, they've been doing some good things schedule-wise, so that lends me to think
that they really are sincerely trying. My guess is that UNH was the best they could do
for 2012 for one of the open dates. How do we know the other alternatives weren't
Marist or Wagner? I truly do not believe that there are many BCS teams lining up to
play us. PLus, the Sun Belts of the world already have stacked OOC slates as it is-
they do so for money and because BCS schools form a line to get them on their
schedules.

That being said, my guess is that many people will be stunned by how good a football
team UNH will be that day. This is a solid, solid FCS program that could frankly play in
the Big East if they so chose (they would need to expand their stadium).

This game will not be a walk-through. The Gophers will need to come to play.

metrolax, I have no doubts what you say it true. In my mind, you don't schedule a 1-AA team to be competitive. You schedule them to get an easy "W" and work out some kinks. So if my choice is between a good New Hampshire or a poor Marist, I take Marist. Just my opinion.

I truly do not believe that there are many BCS teams lining up to play us.

Waaaait a minute. Are you Bret Bielema in disguise?
thinking.gif

Oh no! I'm not BB!!!!! Good grief!!!! Let's dispel that right now.

I'm not even the obnoxious fiance from Wedding Crashers ( who I swear was
played by BB)! LOL

metrolax, I have no doubts what you say it true. In my mind, you don't schedule a 1-AA team to be competitive. You schedule them to get an easy "W" and work out some kinks. So if my choice is between a good New Hampshire or a poor Marist, I take Marist. Just my opinion.
Both are poor matchups that no one wants to see. Both count towards bowl eligibility. I fail to see the difference myself other than the fact that it costs the U less to get UNH to play at TCF.

I say we all shrug and move on. I'm not getting worked up until we end up with all Marists/UNH cupcakes like the Mason years.

If I get to see Cal and USC in back to back years I don't think I will complain about the schedule for a longggggggg time.

A trip to the Northeast would be fun but a home and home with UNH? I think this is a one way deal.

New Hampshire is a solid program, and much better than the bottom I-A programs. Their conference is better than the bottom I-A conferences and its teams are annually competitive in games with I-A teams. UNH is comparable to NDSU, and we all know how those games went for the Gophers.

New Hampshire's stadium is very poor, even by New England standards. Money is tight there.

New Hampshire is a solid program, and much better than the bottom I-A programs. Their conference is better than the bottom I-A conferences and its teams are annually competitive in games with I-A teams. UNH is comparable to NDSU, and we all know how those games went for the Gophers.

New Hampshire's stadium is very poor, even by New England standards. Money is tight there.

Confused how any of this relates to a home and home with them...

Right. UNH's stadium is not up-to-speed with the product on the field.

UNH will not be anyone's cupcake. The CAA is a very tough conference, and
one could argue that several of their teams be in FBS. It takes some guts to
play teams like Appalachian State, NDSU, and UNH. The potential is there for
an embarrassing loss, but its a real challenge for the coaches and players
to maintain their focus. Let's be happy its early in the season and not later.
Early on, in OOC games, the players are still fired up because league play looms.
If you play them in November, the players may relax a bit, and that's when trouble can happen.

BTW- ASU's win over Michigan a couple years ago was not a fluke.

Top Bottom