Minnesota Vs. Iowa 2024 Media Predictions

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
Game No. 4, here we go!

Pick Dawgz is taking Iowa to get the win
Both of these teams come into this game with a 2-1 record on the season, but Minnesota will have the home field advantage. The Golden Gophers lost a heartbreaker in their first game against UNC, but they have played two easy opponents in the last two weeks. Iowa has had some issues defensively in the second half against Iowa State and last game against Troy, but they are still one of the best defenses in the country. The Hawkeyes also have a very solid running game and McNamara is a decent quarterback option. This should be a lower scoring game, but I think Iowa’s defense will be the difference. Take the Hawkeyes to get the win.

The Daily Gopher (SB Nation) has Minnesota winning 16-9
Minnesota has struggled to run the ball consistently this season and I’m not sure if that’ll change against an Iowa defense that has held all three of its opponents to fewer than 100 rushing yards. That is characteristic of a Phil Parker-coached defense, but what is uncharacteristic is allowing explosive plays. The Hawkeyes like to play zone coverage and keep everything in front of them, yet have been torched for touchdown passes of 75, 63, and 62 yards in their last two games.

There is a lot of talent and experience in the back end of this defense, too. Cornerback Jermari Harris, free safety Quinn Schulte, and nickel back Sebastian Castro are all sixth-year players.

The defensive front is also loaded with veterans, with two sixth-year senior starters and four fifth-year senior starters, including All-American linebacker Jay Higgins.

It will be interesting to see what game plan offensive coordinator Greg Harbaugh Jr. draws up for this defense, because clearly Iowa is vulnerable in the secondary, but Minnesota also can’t afford to be one-dimensional on offense and allow the Hawkeyes’ pass rush to pin their ears back in pursuit of quarterback Max Brosmer. The Gophers have used the short passing game as a substitute for their lack of a ground game and I expect that to continue against Iowa.

Sports Chat Place is going with Minnesota in the match
Give me the Gophers as the underdogs. I really like the way Brosmer has played, and the Gophers have Darius Taylor, who will have another strong game, even against a good defense. The Gophers defense has done a good job of creating turnovers, and it’s going to be the same here. Minnesota is going to get out to a fast start and the defense will make the stops late. Back Minnesota to win this game as underdogs. If they become favorites by game-time, take them as the favorites, laying the points.

Picks and Parlays is predicting a 24-13 Iowa victory
Both teams come into this week playing well as each have picked up two wins in three games played. Look for Iowa however to do the work on both sides of the ball as they overpower a good Minnesota team. The Iowa defense will be the difference leading the Hawkeyes to the win and cover as they pick up their third victory of the season.

Interesting seeing the Iowa defense being mentioned as the difference in this one. Both teams have played very similar schedules and our Defense has been better than theirs. I get that most of it is reputation for the people making these national predictions but might be time for them to open their eyes a little and realize what our defense is doing this year.

Hopefully they keep it going Saturday and people will be forced to take notice.

College Football News has Iowa winning 19-17
It’s Iowa vs Minnesota. It’ll be low scoring, it’ll come down to one weird play, and it’ll be close. Four of the last five were decided by five points or fewer, and this will follow suit.

Minnesota’s defense will match Iowa’s blow for blow, the offense will barrel enough to keep things moving, and …

Iowa kicker Drew Stevens is 5-for-5 on field goals. Minnesota’s Dragon Kesich is 5-of-9. Stevens will nail a 41-yarder for the win.

I can't take any prediction serious that has Iowa scoring 24 points. Off the top of my head, they have maybe done that two or three times over the last couple seasons, in Big Ten play.

And I'd bet the defense put up points in those games. And while I think they have a good defense again, it's not at the level of those teams. We have to absolutely shit the bed for that offense to put up 24. Its not good. Struggled against State and going back to the bowl game, yeah, not good.

Interesting seeing the Iowa defense being mentioned as the difference in this one. Both teams have played very similar schedules and our Defense has been better than theirs. I get that most of it is reputation for the people making these national predictions but might be time for them to open their eyes a little and realize what our defense is doing this year.

Hopefully they keep it going Saturday and people will be forced to take notice.

Just not a big enough sample size for them to overcome their faith in Iowa's defensive reputation I guess. I'm happy to see that some people are predicting a Gopher win but I can understand why most wouldn't.

I can't take any prediction serious that has Iowa scoring 24 points. Off the top of my head, they have maybe done that two or three times over the last couple seasons, in Big Ten play.

And I'd bet the defense put up points in those games. And while I think they have a good defense again, it's not at the level of those teams. We have to absolutely shit the bed for that offense to put up 24. Its not good. Struggled against State and going back to the bowl game, yeah, not good.

I don't think they'll score 24 points either but I think their offense is better because their offensive line appears to be playing better, their QB is better (he's not great but much better than Deacon Hill), and they do have what appears to be an outstanding RB.

Iowa has an outstanding RB.

QB is fair. I think that we might expect a bone-headed play or two from him. Hopefully one of those plays turns into a Gopher pick-six.
Kaleb Johnson is good he isn't outstanding. If I had to guess Iowa State elected to focus on coverage as they held Iowa to under 100 yards passing. Yes, Johnson put up big yardage but it was all Iowa got in the game as their passing game was brutal - 13 for 29 for 99 yards with 2 picks.

He has had 3 nice games to start the year, 2 of those games were against garbage competition. Let's see if he is a different player than he has been in previous years in conference play. Again, he is good, he isn't great the way some are building him up to be right now.

But hey, if he goes out and gashes us on Saturday I will freely admit I was wrong.

BetMGM is predicting Minnesota will win the game.
The winning team model predicts Minnesota will win this game with 57.0% confidence, based on game simulations, offensive & defensive matchups and recent game results.

This winning team prediction factors in up-to-date player injuries for both Iowa and Minnesota, key player performances this season and recent team trends.

Cappers Picks has Minnesota winning 23-16
  • NCAA Football Moneyline Odds: Iowa -134 | Minnesota +111
  • ATS College Football Odds: Iowa -2.5 | Minnesota +2.5
  • Football Betting Total: O/U: 36.5

Kaleb Johnson is good he isn't outstanding. If I had to guess Iowa State elected to focus on coverage as they held Iowa to under 100 yards passing. Yes, Johnson put up big yardage but it was all Iowa got in the game as their passing game was brutal - 13 for 29 for 99 yards with 2 picks.

He has had 3 nice games to start the year, 2 of those games were against garbage competition. Let's see if he is a different player than he has been in previous years in conference play. Again, he is good, he isn't great the way some are building him up to be right now.

But hey, if he goes out and gashes us on Saturday I will freely admit I was wrong.
I'll be really surprised if Heatherman doesn't stack the box and force McNamara to beat us in the air. Its what I would do.

I’m concerned about Kesich in a season where I was thinking our kicking game was going to be solid.

Some say Fleck's cautious style has partly been to blame. People see Minnesota as a loser to Iowa.

The last two games, the Gophers offense now looks different.

I agree with that first statement.

The offense has looked better more recently but Fleck did take the air out of the ball in the second half of the game against Nevada. I understand that Fleck is always determined to get his running game going early in the season but we have a QB and receivers who want to keep up their games too.

BetMGM is predicting Minnesota will win the game.
The winning team model predicts Minnesota will win this game with 57.0% confidence, based on game simulations, offensive & defensive matchups and recent game results.

This winning team prediction factors in up-to-date player injuries for both Iowa and Minnesota, key player performances this season and recent team trends.

Cappers Picks has Minnesota winning 23-16
  • NCAA Football Moneyline Odds: Iowa -134 | Minnesota +111
  • ATS College Football Odds: Iowa -2.5 | Minnesota +2.5
  • Football Betting Total: O/U: 36.5

Well, right or wrong, it's nice to see a prediction based on simulations instead of recent history or "Iowa is usually good and Minnesota is usually 'who cares' so Iowa will win."

He’s 5/9 n Stevens is 5/5. I remain concerned in what has been a close game the last 5 years.

He's missed two since the opening game? I didn't realize that. I guess he is worse than I thought this season. I was also thinking he was 4 for 4 against Iowa last year but, after looking it up, he was 4 for 5.

Minnesota will sneak up on them with a strong D and a surprisingly good O. Just enough to make it 2 in a row past the pig stickers.

Iowa has two mediocre offenses, one just happens to play defense.

Top Bottom