'Minnesota is my home' -- Andrew Stelter, has stayed loyal to Gophers despite changes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Owatonna People's Press:

The coaching changes, the boycott, the uncertainty — no one would have blamed Andrew Stelter for transferring from the University of Minnesota.

But he didn’t even consider it.

Despite playing for three head coaches in three years, learning from two defensive line coaches in two years, enduring a walk-out stemming from sexual assault allegations lobbied against some of his teammates and seeing the University fire its highest-ranking employee in the athletics department because of blatant misconduct, Stelter never wavered.

“Minnesota is my home,” he said Thursday evening. “I wouldn’t want to leave my family and the relationships I have built here.”

Stelter had heard about Fleck and the outstanding job he’d done at WMU before he was hired at Minnesota, but now that he’s jumped ship, Stelter has discovered just how honest his new coach really is.

“I remember telling one of my teammates that it would be kind of cool to play for a guy like that,” Stelter said. “Then he ended up here and we were all pretty psyched. What you see is what you get. It’s been awesome.”

The obvious differences between Fleck and Claeys are their styles. Stelter, who holds no ill-will toward either of his former head coaches, says Claeys took a macro-management approach while Fleck is more hands-on, getting directly involved in drills and keeping the energy level high at every station.

“They are both great coaches,” Stelter said of Claeys and Fleck. “[Coach Fleck] is more interactive. He’s out there running routes and racing guys around the field. Claeys was much more laid back.”

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonn...cle_acc1d7c1-ab85-5c9d-b2ba-c8df1bd600fb.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom