Minnesota Home Games rated "NOT" in "Hot or Not" on ESPN...

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
...well, sort of. They are clearly using this as a pun that home games are going to be colder than they had at the Metrodome, thus putting it in the "Not" section, rather than the "Hot" section...get it?!?!

Anyways, here's what they said:

HOT

Miami home games: Prior to the 2008 season, the Hurricanes left the crumbling Orange Bowl -- their home for seven decades -- for Dolphin Stadium. Because of a recent naming-rights agreement, they'll play this season in a stadium named for a beer owned by singer Jimmy Buffett. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

NOT

Minnesota home games: For the first time since 1981, the Gophers will play their home games in open air, where temperatures will undoubtedly be much, much cooler. For the past 27 seasons, Minnesota played its home games inside the Metrodome. This season, the Gophers are moving to TCF Bank Stadium, a sparkling 50,805-seat venue that sits on campus and is long overdue.

Again, clearly not a slam, just a play on words...see for yourself.

ESPN Hot or Not Story in College Football 2009

I think HOT or NOT was meant to be relative to the temperature between home games in Miami vs Minnesota. I sure do not disagree here as I would also rather be in Miami come late October... with the exception of game days @ TCF

ahhhh.... I finally come across an article about Bielema that i like reading about!

"Coaches in trouble: Notre Dame's Charlie Weis, Virginia's Al Groh, Wisconsin's Bret Bielema, Indiana's Bill Lynch, Louisville's Steve Kragthorpe and Texas A&M's Mike Sherman are among the coaches who could really use big seasons to save their jobs. "

The opener could very well be warmer than in the dome, TCF doesn't have heat, but it also doesn't have air conditioning.

It's just more of the "What? Football outdoors in MINNESOTA? Are you insane?" drivel. Minnesota does have a reputation for being cold, but our weather is in line with other northern cities, and in any case, we play outside in the fall, not the spring.

I love the change of seasons during the course of the Gopher football season. The first game is typically a sweltering tailgate. Shorts and tee shirt. By the last game its typically long johns and a sweatshirt. Love it.

And the rest of the country realizes that the Vikings play all the way through December right? And the tailgating for those games is always a full lot.

Top Bottom