Minnesota High School Players College Stats In Early PT

upnorthkid

Reaction score
Ok the thread title isn't the most solid thing in the world, but I was just wondering how the MN prospects from the last 2-3 years were doing and if anyone was making an impact in FBS yet, so here goes.

Rankings are listed as the top 10 kids in the state via 247sports.

1. Jeff Jones- Minnesota- This one was well documented. Hopefully will count as a RS season for him when it's all said and done
2. JC Hassenauer- Alabama- Received some PT this fall, projected (roughly) as 2nd string on their early fall 2015 depth chart
3. Frank Ragnow- Arkansas- Named to SEC All Freshman team. Logged more than 200 snaps w/ Arkansas this year.
4. Andrew Stelter- Minnesota- Played in 11 games and recorded three tackles
5. Greg Menard- NDSU- 15 tackles 3.0 sacks for the Bison this fall
6. Brandon Lingen- Minnesota- Played in 11 games and started one, caught two passes for 18 yards, named team's Outstanding Offensive Freshman of the Year.
7. Ricardo Johnson- San Bernardion JUCO- Was a backup. Did get some limited PT. didn't want to spend time compiling all stats
8. Preston Woods- UNI- Played this fall (I believe). Compiled stats not available.
9. George Behr- Rutgers- RS season (was not on traveling roster according to what I found online)
10. Zach Hovey- Miami Ohio- Played in nine games, seeing spot duty at tight end and the offensive line.

1. James Onwualu- Notre Dame- As a sophomore, LB for ND recording 20 total tackles
2. Malik Rucker- Iowa- RS freshman year and this year recorded 5 tackles; Won ST team leader award in 2013
3. Keelon Brookins- Wisconsin- played in 7 games this year as a RS freshman recording 2 tackles vs Illinois
4. Jack Cottrell- Boston College- RS in 2013. Made 1 tackle vs Maine this year.
5. Chris Wipson- Minnesota- RS in 2013. Made 1 tackle vs Wisconsin. Debuted vs Iowa and played ST from there on. Named Academic all B10
6. Tyson Reineke- Kent State- RS in 2013. No recorded stats this year.
7. Jamison Whiting- UNI- Played as a true freshman at DB recording 21 tackles, a sack, and 3 PBUs. Stats not compiled yet for this year.
8. Jackson Wilson- Air Force- RS his freshman year. Air Force lists no statistics for him

1. Nick Davidson- Stanford- Listed as not seeing action in his first 2 years. As RS sophomore, he was listed as 2nd string on the depth chart. Projected as a backup on the depth chart for next year as well.
2. Will Johnson- WVU- RS at WVU before transferring to Liberty. Did not play in 2013. No listed stats for this season.
3. Andre McDonald- Minnesota- We all know this story.
4. Jonah Pirsig- Minnesota- RS in 2012. Played in 2013 in 7 games. Started 7 games this year. Named Academic All B10
5. Isaac Hayes- Minnesota- RS in 2012. No action in 2013. Played in all 13 games in 2014. Named Academic All B10
6. Philip Nelson- Minnesota- RS pulled off during freshman season where he finished w/ 8 TDs vs 8 Ints. Split time in 2013 w/ Mitch Leidner, throwing for 9 TDs vs 6 Ints and rushing for 6 more TDs. Transferred to Rutgers. Was dismissed pending assault charges.
7. Maxx Williams- Minnesota- 2012 RS. led team in receiving yards (417) and tied for the team lead in receptions (25) and receiving touchdowns (5) in 2013. In 2014, won many accolades including 1st team All American by several sources. Has entered the NFL draft.
8. Nick Rallis- Minnesota- RS 2012. Played in 10 games in 2013, making 7 tackles. Named Academic All B10. Made 3 tackles this fall before a season ending knee injury
9. Mitch Leidner- Minnesota- RS in 2012. Started 4 games as RS Freshman, splitting time w/ Nelson. Had 7 rushing TDs to tie for team lead and added 3 passing TDs. Academic All B10. Started 12 games this year, throwing for 11 TDs and rushing for 10 TDs. Received the Neil Fredenburg Award, which is given to the player who shows the most courage and love of the game. Academic All B10 again this year.
10. Charles Webb- NDSCS- made 44 tackles and 3 Ints.

Thanks for list man. I always enjoy seeing on how other MN kids do.

Wish we had been able to hold onto Ragnow and Hassenauer. Both those guys would have been huge for us to take the next step. Can't blame them for going to the SEC...just wish they had stayed home. Now they are dead to me again.

Wish we had been able to hold onto Ragnow and Hassenauer. Both those guys would have been huge for us to take the next step. Can't blame them for going to the SEC...just wish they had stayed home. Now they are dead to me again.

Carlberg as well but I think Moore is a better fit and Oseland was higher on our board according to Matt Humbert. Sometimes I catch myself day dreaming about an O-line that could have looked something like this in 2017 all blocking for Jeff Jones, Rodney Smith and Femi-Cole.

LT: Oseland
LG: Moore
C: Hassenauer
RG: Mayes
RT: Ragnow

With Carlberg, Dovich, Steiber on the inside and Connelly and Rasmussen at tackle for the two deep. (although we probably wouldn't have taken all 10 of them)

Sorry if this annoys some of you.

Carlberg as well but I think Moore is a better fit and Oseland was higher on our board according to Matt Humbert. Sometimes I catch myself day dreaming about an O-line that could have looked something like this in 2017 all blocking for Jeff Jones, Rodney Smith and Femi-Cole.

LT: Oseland
LG: Moore
C: Hassenauer
RG: Mayes
RT: Ragnow

With Carlberg, Dovich, Steiber on the inside and Connelly and Rasmussen at tackle for the two deep. (although we probably wouldn't have taken all 10 of them)

Sorry if this annoys some of you.

Do you think o line kids view our style as a positive to get to the pros as a big linemen or as a negative considering the pros likely are looking for some pass blocking???

Also, has Minnesota always produced this high quality of linemen? Or is this a recent trend?

Do you think o line kids view our style as a positive to get to the pros as a big linemen or as a negative considering the pros likely are looking for some pass blocking???

Also, has Minnesota always produced this high quality of linemen? Or is this a recent trend?
O-line is usually the one position in Minnesota where you can count on a couple of FBS prospects every year. Pirsig, Hayes and Davidson were all highly regarded, Tommy Olson was a high 3/4 star, Gjere and Henderson were 4 and 5 stars. Also Robert Olson in the class of 2014 from EP was on scholarship and redshirted at Oregon State this year.

I don't know about the NFL thing but the majority of O-lineman would much rather be run blocking more than pass blocking most of the time. I could be wrong but I would guess most O-lineman probably aren't thinking NFL when committing to a school since it will usually be 5-6 years away. At least less than the skill position players do.

O-line is usually the one position in Minnesota where you can count on a couple of FBS prospects every year. Pirsig, Hayes and Davidson were all highly regarded, Tommy Olson was a high 3/4 star, Gjere and Henderson were 4 and 5 stars. Also Robert Olson in the class of 2014 from EP was on scholarship and redshirted at Oregon State this year.

I don't know about the NFL thing but the majority of O-lineman would much rather be run blocking more than pass blocking most of the time. I could be wrong but I would guess most O-lineman probably aren't thinking NFL when committing to a school since it will usually be 5-6 years away. At least less than the skill position players do. I think the really good lineman are thinking of the pros when selecting a school. Iowa & Wisconsin produce many Lineman that in the pros and are recruiting players with this sales pitch! We need to put some in the NFL so we can also use this. This is why Frank left for Arkansas - Bielima sells his history to the recruits .

Top Bottom