Minnesota has 4th-most returning career starts on OL in the country

Past years according to Steele:

Returning OL starts ranked nationally
2014 4th
2013 8th
2012 101st
2011: T-74th
2010: 4th

Comparison with Wisconsin which seems to replace multiple starters each year (author not stating as fact)
2014: 46th
2013: 90th
2012: 84th
2011: 49th
2010: 9th

The only issue is that Bak is not returning. That takes the number down to 105. Still second in big ten without Bak.

Here is my list of starts (from Gophersports bios)

-Bak 24
-Bush 4
-Campion 26
-Christenson 15
-Epping 34
-Lauer 4
-Lenkewicz 9
-Olsen 13

Does not include TEs. Goodger has 19 starts, Williams 7 and Plsek 1.

Past years according to Steele:

Returning OL starts ranked nationally
2014 4th
2013 8th
2012 101st
2011: T-74th
2010: 4th

Comparison with Wisconsin which seems to replace multiple starters each year (author not stating as fact)
2014: 46th
2013: 90th
2012: 84th
2011: 49th
2010: 9th

The problem with only counting starts is we were upgrading talent in those years and started a number of underclassmen that would never see the field at WI. Now our returning starters are more Jr, Sr, RS-Jr & RS-Sr players. So they are both experienced and mature. We still aren't at WI level, but compared to 3 years ago...Kill & Co have done an amazing job. And if we hadn't have a few career ending injuries on our O-Line, we would be that much better off this season.

The only issue is that Bak is not returning. That takes the number down to 105. Still second in big ten without Bak.

Here is my list of starts (from Gophersports bios)

-Bak 24
-Bush 4
-Campion 26
-Christenson 15
-Epping 34
-Lauer 4
-Lenkewicz 9
-Olsen 13

Does not include TEs. Goodger has 19 starts, Williams 7 and Plsek 1.
Bak is not playing so you can't count those starts, and if Bennett is the article is wrong.

So no more talk about our inexperienced offensive line, I hope.

Yep. This year we shouldn't really hear anything about being young or inexperienced in most places on the field. I think Limegrover said something very similar to that at some point not all that long ago. I am excited for this year because this is the one that should really tell us how far the team has come under Kill and give us a good preview of where the team is headed in the future. He has his guys and they have been in the system for multiple years with great staff continuity. If the program is going to make the jump from also ran to contender we should see some indication of that this season.

Yep. This year we shouldn't really hear anything about being young or inexperienced in most places on the field. I think Limegrover said something very similar to that at some point not all that long ago. I am excited for this year because this is the one that should really tell us how far the team has come under Kill and give us a good preview of where the team is headed in the future. He has his guys and they have been in the system for multiple years with great staff continuity. If the program is going to make the jump from also ran to contender we should see some indication of that this season.

Except for arguably the most important position, quarterback. I understand your point though. I feel this is the year we start to really see the results from the Kill regime

Top Bottom