Minnesota Gophers absolutely DOMINATING the NHL!!!

Reaction score
Been keeping track of former Gophers in the NHL and they have been doing incredibly well.

As a whole, they reached the 300 pt mark in the NHL before any other school's former players made it to the 200 pt mark and I'm not sure when UND hit 200 pts, but it was Saturday that our former Gophers breached the 350 pt mark and when I checked UND's stats, they are right at 200 pts.

Saturday was a highlight with Phil Kessel scoring a hat trick and 4 pts on the night and so scoring the most goals(3) and the most points(4) the whole day, and Eric Johnson had the most assists(3) the whole day.

So after Saturday's games, this is where our former Gophers ranked in total points scored in the NHL through Saturday's games,

#-4. - 61 pts - Phil Kessel
#-7. - 57 pts - Kyle Okposo
#22 - 47 pts - Thomas Vanek
#31 - 44 pts - Blake Wheeler
#190 - 24 pts - Eric Johnson
#190 - 24 pts - Alex Goligoski
#218 - 21 pts - Nick Bjugstad
#231 - 20 pts - Nick Leddy
#364 - 12 pts - Paul Martin
#440 - 9 pts - Keith Ballard
#517 - 6 pts - Nate Schmidt
#537 - 5 pts - Jordan Leopold
#567 - 4 pts - Erik Haula
#601 - 3 pts - Aaron Ness
#631 - 2 pts - Jordan Schroeder
LAST - 0 pts - Seth Helgeson & Ryan Stoa

And Jordan scored both his goals on his first game back.

And with the run that Okposo is on, you have to wonder if the US Olympic team selectors might not be regretting their not including him on the roster? I understand that they claim that they didn't pick necessarily the best players, but the most fitting ones, the ones they felt would best help the US win the gold.

So through Saturday's games, former Gophers have scored 352 total points. Lets hope they keep this up.

I think you missed a school to the east.

I think you missed a school to the east.

Actually, I only checked the stats for what I thought were the Top contenders, and yeah, I did miss a school. And technically they are east, compared to Minnesota.

And I don't mind sharing the Top with them, seeing as they needed a former Gopher to lead them to where they are in the world of collegiate hockey, and needed a team stocked with Minnesotans to help them as well. The U of Mn just doesn't have enough room to fit all the great college and later pro hockey players that it produces, and it can be granted that a diploma from said eastern school is arguably better than a diploma from Bemidji St, and with mental illness so prevalent these days among our nations youth, I guess its understandable why a few Minnesota kids would be deluded into thinking going east to play hockey is better than staying home and playing for Mankato St. or SCSU?!

But my suspicion is that might change as the years go by and said eastern school continues to struggle in their new conf and continues NOT to fill its arena with much in the way of fans, and with schools like SCSU and Mn St now in different conferences than Minnesota, and doing well in those conferences, Mn boys who love the Gophers won't feel it such a betrayal to play at those schools anymore, only having to play against the Gophers once a year vs 2-4 times annually.

At the Olympic break, with four former Gophers and four former badgers heading to Sochi:
Gophers: 15 skaters (7F, 8D) - 642 GP - 136-222-358
badgers: 18 skaters (9F, 9D) - 747 GP - 133-228-361

The Gophers that have been on fire definitely closed the gap recently.

At the Olympic break, with four former Gophers and four former badgers heading to Sochi:
Gophers: 15 skaters (7F, 8D) - 642 GP - 136-222-358
badgers: 18 skaters (9F, 9D) - 747 GP - 133-228-361

The Gophers that have been on fire definitely closed the gap recently.

I've got 16 former Gophers in the NHL, with 359 pts. Guessing you missed Ryan Stoa who got called up recently and scored a goal. Seth Helgeson is listed at CBS, but with no points, so I don't know if he's getting any playing time or not.

Not sure where you're seeing that Stoa goal. I see no GP for either player this year.

CBSSportsline has Stoa listed with 1 goal. Lists him as being brought up and then sent back down a week or two later.

I probably wouldn't trust CBS over NHL.com.

Great thread, close race for sure. Although some of the comments are delusional......keep in mind that UM's top NHL player is from Wisconsin.

Great thread, close race for sure. Although some of the comments are delusional

Such as?

keep in mind that UM's top NHL player is from Wisconsin.

Not sure what that has to do with this discussion. And who cares, Wisconsin's roster is always made up of a good amount of Minnesotans.

But if you're going to go that route, 8 of the Olympians are native Minnesotans, one of which is a former Badger. Wisconsin has 3 natives on the team.

I was most surprised that Goligoski didn't make the Olympic squad. I'm sure we will see Leddy and Bjugstad more often on future teams.

Such as?

Not sure what that has to do with this discussion. And who cares, Wisconsin's roster is always made up of a good amount of Minnesotans.

But if you're going to go that route, 8 of the Olympians are native Minnesotans, one of which is a former Badger. Wisconsin has 3 natives on the team.

Take the Maroon colored glasses off for a minute and read this drivel -

"and it can be granted that a diploma from said eastern school is arguably better than a diploma from Bemidji St, and with mental illness so prevalent these days among our nations youth, I guess its understandable why a few Minnesota kids would be deluded into thinking going east to play hockey is better than staying home and playing for Mankato St. or SCSU?!

But my suspicion is that might change as the years go by and said eastern school continues to struggle in their new conf and continues NOT to fill its arena with much in the way of fans"

Take the Maroon colored glasses off for a minute and read this drivel -

"and it can be granted that a diploma from said eastern school is arguably better than a diploma from Bemidji St, and with mental illness so prevalent these days among our nations youth, I guess its understandable why a few Minnesota kids would be deluded into thinking going east to play hockey is better than staying home and playing for Mankato St. or SCSU?!

But my suspicion is that might change as the years go by and said eastern school continues to struggle in their new conf and continues NOT to fill its arena with much in the way of fans"

You're taking offense from an incredibly obvious bit of ribbing? Seriously, how can you not tell that the quoted post was a joke.

You're taking offense from an incredibly obvious bit of ribbing? Seriously, how can you not tell that the quoted post was a joke.

LOL, I guess I wasn't obvious enough?!

And don't be too hard on McBadger MinneStoa, as it was a mix, part joke and part serious. But it takes a more intelligent kind of person, like the kind born and raised within the borders of Minnesota, or collegiately educated at the Univ of Minnesota to figure out the differences, the jokes from the serious parts. Those of inferior intelligence from places like Wisconsin can not always differentiate between the two. :)

keep in mind that UM's top NHL player is from Wisconsin.
One of the highest profile recruits ever in college hockey. From Madison. And he chose the U. Welcome to college hockey recruiting, where the badgers' classes always look pretty terrible compared to ours. :)

One of the highest profile recruits ever in college hockey. From Madison. And he chose the U. Welcome to college hockey recruiting, where the badgers' classes always look pretty terrible compared to ours. :)

All totally true...he also watched the Badgers win the National Title in his one year in college. Good choice Phil.

All totally true...he also watched the Badgers win the National Title in his one year in college. Good choice Phil.
Guessing he's not too concerned about it. And he'll forever be a Gopher and not a badger. Just like his sister who'll help the girls win four in a row next year and establish the first real dynasty on the women's side. :)

So your point is that a Badgers squad that was primed to win a national title was still less attractive than the Gophers?

Gophers (8F, 8D): 738GP 153-270-423
badgers (9F, 9D): 875 GP 154-263-417

:cool: Phil just needs to score a couple to flip that goal column.

Top Bottom