Minnesota Gopher Football's 2014 Break Out Player of the Year - Guess Who?

And away we go. This thread has "dumpster fire" written all over it. Seriously, it's an interesting question. I don't know if you can say Cobb or Maxx is a "breakout" player. To me, that means someone who emerged during the season, and the two guys I named were already established players. I might go with Botticelli- he emerged as a key player on defense, and helped fill the void left by Hageman's graduation.

I vote for...

BBC
Mortell
Santoso
Botticelli
Wilson
Richardson

..in that order

I would've gone Botticelli or Wilson just because we knew what Maxx and Cobb would bring to the table. Felt Mitch finished about right where we expected too. Seemed as though most people said our run D would be the major part lacking on this team and thanks to Botticelli and Wilson that wasn't so much the case. Case could be made for some freshman guys but they weren't necessarily flashy enough to get noticed often enough. No problem with Mitch as the pick as if he would've been as poor as we saw in a few games all season this is a wildly worse year. He had some HUGE games along the way and came through clutch a few times unexpectedly. Exactly what makes a break through player

Botticelli.

Wilson was very good last year.....so I have a tough time saying that he was a "breakout" player. Richardson wasn't even on the team last year so I'd find it hard to call him a "breakout" player either.

Maye might be a candidate. Didn't really put up great numbers.....but he made several KEY plays throughout the year. Certainly appears to be an emerging WR threat.

BBC or Richardson

Leidner should not even be mentioned

Botticelli or BBC. No question about that one. Any other opinions are incorrect (Can't wait to read all of the replies that take that seriously).

Botticelli anchored that D-Line all year, which was supposed to be a huge question mark. We're certainly not headed to a Jan 1 bowl if not for BBC's game saving play against Nebraska. He made a few other plays that could be described as pivitol in some other victories. He was one of the most clutch players in the country, on the defensive side of the ball.

This team is going to a Jan 1 bowl despite Mitch Leidner, not because he "broke out." Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a nice QB by the time he's a senior, and he's the kind of kid you want leading your team. He even made some big plays, at big times, that helped secure some victories (also missed some relatively easy throws at big times that cost the team dearly). But, if Mitch had played like your average B1G QB consistently, this team would have been playing OSU in Indianapolis (or possibly Mich. St., because they could have easily beat OSU at the Bank).

Again, don't get me wrong Leidner Lovers (or just those who look for any reason to be argumentative because they are mentally unstable). I'm not blaming Mitch for any woes, or calling for Perra to start. Simply stating facts that his own mother couldn't argue with a straight face. It's often forgotten, I think, that he's as young as he is. Not everyone can step in and be JT Barrett. I put it squarely on the coaching staff for him having to be in the position to play as a freshman/sophmore. He clearly is/was not ready to throw the ball in a power 5 conference. Hence, not "the breakout player" on the Gophers. (I'll leave it at that, I know I'm beating a dead horse, so don't waste your time typing that response. It surely does apply to this thread.)

Edit: Missed an obvious choice....Damien Wilson. He was a beast, and a somewhat consistent presence. Throw him in as a possibility.

To me a breakout year is when someone who steps up and plays much better than anticipated. I think we knew what we had in Leidner and I don't think he exceeded those expectations. Botticelli was solid as a junior, that would have been his breakout year, same with Wilson & Cobb. The guys who IMO really broke out this year were BBC, Steve Richardson, Jonah Pirsig and Jack Lynn, all 4 greatly exceeded my expectations.

I have no problem with Leidner being selected as breakout player of the year. Last year he was a bit player, and this year he was a solid starter on an 8-4 team that's playing on January 1.

Botticelli, Wilson, and Mortell were all starters last year and improved. I wouldn't call any of them "breakout" players.

IMO a breakout player is someone who either hasn't played or has only played sparingly, and becomes a solid-to-good contributor on a team. My breakout list would be Mitch, BBC, Pirsig, Jack Lynn, and Jalen Myrick.

I have no problem with Leidner being selected as breakout player of the year. Last year he was a bit player, and this year he was a solid starter on an 8-4 team that's playing on January 1.

Botticelli, Wilson, and Mortell were all starters last year and improved. I wouldn't call any of them "breakout" players.

IMO a breakout player is someone who either hasn't played or has only played sparingly, and becomes a solid-to-good contributor on a team. My breakout list would be Mitch, BBC, Pirsig, Jack Lynn, and Jalen Myrick.

We have our winner folks, Leidner! He meets the requirements stated above plus he gets extra credit for making several Gopher Hole experts eat crow. Kill showed him how to do it but he probably got the recipe from Rebecca. :clap:

I guess it depends on the definition. BBC was incredible; Carter-like this year (senior season) but we knew he was good going in. We were pleasantly surprised he still had it, I suppose.

For me, guys like Miles Thomas, Joe Bjorklund, Jonathan Celestin, Steven Richardson (especially Richardson) gave us quality minutes when the starters were either underperforming (Harte, Bush, Campbell) or hurt (Ekpe, Foster Bush) and all arguably contributed to some wins this year. They will be key players next year as well.

BBC was hurt last year so we don't really know how well his season would have been and how much better he got plus he did well in the UNLV game. Botticelli got a little bit better but Wilson lost 10 pounds and as a result had 33 more tackles than the previous year and 5 more TFLs. Has to be him.

Jack Lynn.

Played fantastic football at a critical position that was substantially in doubt in August

I guess it gets down to how you define "breakout" player. BBC showed a lot of talent before the knee injury, so I would not necessarily call him a breakout player. His question was whether he would return to his pre-injury level, which he did and then some.

I still see a "breakout" player as someone who went from a role player to a standout, or greatly exceeded expectations. For me, Botticelli went from playing in Hageman's shadow, to becoming the leader of the D-line, and one of the team leaders, too. He certainly exceeded my expectations.

I guess it depends on the definition. BBC was incredible; Carter-like this year (senior season) but we knew he was good going in. We were pleasantly surprised he still had it, I suppose.

For me, guys like Miles Thomas, Joe Bjorklund, Jonathan Celestin, Steven Richardson (especially Richardson) gave us quality minutes when the starters were either underperforming (Harte, Bush, Campbell) or hurt (Ekpe, Foster Bush) and all arguably contributed to some wins this year. They will be key players next year as well.

As a team, there are several unsung heroes as noted here. Leidner getting credit for the breakout year is a testament to the team as a whole in winning five conference games, and eight games overall to get to their first New Year's Day Bowl since the 1960's.

BBC was hurt last year so we don't really know how well his season would have been and how much better he got plus he did well in the UNLV game. Botticelli got a little bit better but Wilson lost 10 pounds and as a result had 33 more tackles than the previous year and 5 more TFLs. Has to be him.

I think you're failing to grasp what a breakout player is. Wilson was a starter in 2013, and probably the 3rd best player on our defense last year. So while he definitely improved, we already knew he was really good.

Jack Lynn.

Played fantastic football at a critical position that was substantially in doubt in August

A lot of people were worried about how we were going to replace Hill and Manuel, and Lynn was better IMO this year.

I think you're failing to grasp what a breakout player is. Wilson was a starter in 2013, and probably the 3rd best player on our defense last year. So while he definitely improved, we already knew he was really good.

Maybe he wasn't a breakout player but of all of the full-time returning starters that we had from last year that we knew what we were going to get out of them I feel like he was by far the most improved. From an above average LB to a top 3 in the conference is a bigger jump than any other returning starter.

Damarius Travis....had more tackles than Damien Wilson the last 3 games vs the Big Boys. Also showed the ability to match up man to man against quick,speedy slot receivers. At 6'2 210 can play in the box or the high post.

Top Bottom