Minnesota Football: 11 Reasons Why the Gophers Finish over .500

Lost me at #8...

Playing inside a dome is home-field advantage enough, so imagine if the fans show up in numbers and are loud.

How hard is it to do a bit of research before writing an article?

:cool02::cool02:

This is why you shouldn't read Bleacher Report. It's mind-numbingly stupid sometimes.

Edit: All the time.

1. "An easier schedule than in year's past doesn't hurt either."

Yeesh.

2. "Murray Warmath is the greatest coach the Gophers have ever had."

Sure, if you don't count Bernie Bierman, Doc Williams, Fritz Crisler, or (arguably) Pudge Heffelfinger or Lou Holtz, then yup, he's the greatest.

3. "Warmath led the Golden Gophers to...back-to-back Rose Bowl victories."

Does the Rose Bowl know about this? They may want to change their records.

4. "Playing inside a dome is home-field advantage enough."

Perhaps he's talking about the Big Ten championship game?

5. Titles the section "Senior Leadership", and then says "The offense is only projected to have three players starting who are not a junior or senior." Why not just say "Veteran Leadership" so as not to confuse the issue?

Other than that, good article.

Jesus Tap Dancing Christ...I blame all of the mis-information in this link from the opening post on the invasion of extraterrestials due to the fact that there is a big bright yellow ball in the sky up here and coming your way. Be careful and stay alert, and let the politicians and the military handle it. We can trust them, you know. :banghead: :horse:

Yet another reason for me to smile about telling Bleacher Report to get bent when they had the nerve to rail on me for not providing them with more content, despite the fact that they didn't pay me a dime.

2. "Murray Warmath is the greatest coach the Gophers have ever had."

Sure, if you don't count Bernie Bierman, Doc Williams, Fritz Crisler, or (arguably) Pudge Heffelfinger or Lou Holtz, then yup, he's the greatest.

You're right about Bernie and Doc, but Warmath far outshines the other three as coach of the Gophers. I just can't accept guys who coached for 2 years (or less) here and only had marginal success as better than Warmath for our program. Yes, the other three had great success at other places, but by that argument, you can say that Brett Favre is the greatest QB the Vikings ever had. Or you could argue that Jack Morris was the best pitcher the Twins ever had.

You're right about Bernie and Doc, but Warmath far outshines the other three as coach of the Gophers. I just can't accept guys who coached for 2 years (or less) here and only had marginal success as better than Warmath for our program. Yes, the other three had great success at other places, but by that argument, you can say that Brett Favre is the greatest QB the Vikings ever had. Or you could argue that Jack Morris was the best pitcher the Twins ever had.

It's a matter of word choice. If you say "greatest coach of the Gophers", then yes, the other three are disqualified. But if you say "greatest coach to ever coach for the Gophers", then they all exceed Warmath. One could make the argument that Crisler is the greatest coach to ever coach for the Gophers, but not the greatest of the Gophers. In either case, Warmath is nowhere near #1. He is romanticized because of the national title season. It may be sacrilege to some here, but outside of his three 8-2 seasons (1960, 1961, and 1967) Warmath was a pretty mediocre coach during his Gophers tenure. Apart from those three seasons, he was a sub-.500 coach (63-72-7). Conversely, if you take away Bierman's best three seasons (8-0, 8-0, 8-0), he is still 69-35-6. And, if you take away Williams' three best (14-0, 13-0, 10-0), he is still 112-33-11. Don't get me wrong, I love Murray, respect him greatly, and admire everything he achieved here, but how anyone could say he's even close to the other two is beyond me.

Playing your toughest games at home also means your easiest games are on the road. Playing the toughest games at home is advantage for a good team in having a great season. But for team that's not so good, you'd get a better record by having the easiest games at home.

I think that September is the key to the entire season. Come out of there at 3-1 (or better) and that will give a young team the confidence it's going to need heading into the conference schedule. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they are sitting at 4-2 going into the bye week. Those final two games from last season are going to be really important. They showed that they can win games in which most people gave them no shot. That's gotta be good for something.

Playing your toughest games at home also means your easiest games are on the road. Playing the toughest games at home is advantage for a good team in having a great season. But for team that's not so good, you'd get a better record by having the easiest games at home.

Correct. A team like the Gophs is likely to lose to the top teams regardless of where it is, therefore it is better to play those teams on the road and apply your homefield advantage to the teams you are on the fence against.

I predict that we will be undefeated going into the USC game! After that one can only hope.
Lets get it started!!!

Correct. A team like the Gophs is likely to lose to the top teams regardless of where it is, therefore it is better to play those teams on the road and apply your homefield advantage to the teams you are on the fence against.

Well, not when the Gophs play those top teams at home in a dome.. DUH!! =D

It's a matter of word choice. If you say "greatest coach of the Gophers", then yes, the other three are disqualified. But if you say "greatest coach to ever coach for the Gophers", then they all exceed Warmath. One could make the argument that Crisler is the greatest coach to ever coach for the Gophers, but not the greatest of the Gophers. In either case, Warmath is nowhere near #1. He is romanticized because of the national title season. It may be sacrilege to some here, but outside of his three 8-2 seasons (1960, 1961, and 1967) Warmath was a pretty mediocre coach during his Gophers tenure. Apart from those three seasons, he was a sub-.500 coach (63-72-7). Conversely, if you take away Bierman's best three seasons (8-0, 8-0, 8-0), he is still 69-35-6. And, if you take away Williams' three best (14-0, 13-0, 10-0), he is still 112-33-11. Don't get me wrong, I love Murray, respect him greatly, and admire everything he achieved here, but how anyone could say he's even close to the other two is beyond me.

I'll grant you that it all depends on how you look at the words, but for me, I'd never call those guys "the greatest coach the Gophers have ever had", which is how it was worded. I think Warmath is clearly the third best coach the Gophers have ever had, but is just as clearly well behind the top 2. He is a bit overrated because of the national title and two consecutive Rose Bowls, but I think calling him mediocre is pretty harsh. He was a good coach who did well with limited resources. I wouldn't call him "great".

Also, I strongly disagree about Crisler possibly being a better all-time coach than Bierman - there aren't many coaches who I would consider in Bernie's league, and Crisler isn't quite on that level. Williams vs. Crisler would be a good debate, though.

Top Bottom