Minnesota coaching candidate: Kevin Sumlin (The Daily Gopher)

Wheaton

Reaction score
Next candidate profile is going to be Kevin Sumlin who has been on everyone's short list for quite some time. He's spent some time as a Golden Gopher coach, he has Offensive Coordinator experience at Oklahoma and he has been rather successful as a Head Coach at Houston. Let's take a look in greater detail.

Playing and Coaching Career

1983-86 - Purdue Linebacker
1988-90 - Graduate Ast at Washington State
1991-92 - Wide Receivers coach at Wyoming
1993-96 - Wide Receivers coach at Minnesota
1997 - Quarterbacks coach at Minnesota
1998-2000 - Wide Receivers coach at Purdue
2001-02 - Ast Offensive Coordinator at Texas A&M
2003-05 - Special Team / Tight End coach at Oklahoma
2006-07 - WR / Co-Offensive Coordinator at Oklahoma
2008-present - Head Coach at Houston
As you can see Sumlin was the wide receivers coach during most of the Jim Wacker era and then held on for one season under Mason as the quarterback's coach. Five seasons as Minnesota as an assistant and five seasons at Oklahoma were his longest tenures as any one school.

I also find it really interesting that Sumlin played defense in college and has developed into an offensive coach. Al Golden (another potential candidate) on the other hand was an offensive player in college and has become a defensive minded coach.

Why He Fits

The first thing I like about Sumlin is that he's been here. He spent 5 years coaching here. Are things different? Absolutely but he is familiar with the challenges here and his learning curve of getting acclimated would be much shorter than many others who may be offered the job. This isn't a huge advantage but if offered and if Sumlin is interested he would know exactly what he is getting into. Apart from hiring a former player I think this is about as close a tie as we are going to get. Former Big Ten player and spent five years coaching for the Gophers.

He's shown that he can beat teams he isn't supposed to beat. 2008 was Sumlin's first season at Houston. In his first season he beat two ranked teams. In 2009 he beat #5 Oklahoma State on the road and then followed that with a win over Texas Tech the next week and then two weeks later won on the road over Mississippi State. Two Big 12 wins and an SEC win in a three week span. Three wins over ranked teams with a Conference USA team made up primarily of his predecessors players? I don't need to remind you that we didn't see a win over a ranked team in four years under Brewster.

His 2010 recruiting class ranked #45 in the country. That isn't exactly a top 20 class but remember that he's in Conference USA. His 45th best class was higher than Brewster's, higher than TCU, Boston College, Louisville, Arkansas, Wisconsin and Kentucky (that's 2 SEC teams)! That recent class was barely behind Texas Tech, Iowa, Georgia Tech and Oregon State. That shows he is recruiting with the big boys while facing some challenges.

His first two full recruiting classes were 3rd in Conference USA and then 1st in C-USA. His 2010 class was highlighted by a four-star QB ranked as the #5 QB in the country. Not bad for a Conference USA program. The easy rebuttal is that he's in Texas where you can't throw a horned frog without hitting a D1 football player. But the fact is that Houston's recruiting wasn't nearly as relevant prior to the Sumlin hire. Even after the big boys (Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M) are finished with their classes he still have to fight with Baylor, TCU, SMU, North Texas, Rice, UTEP and dozens of BCS programs trying to tap into that Texas pipeline.

Winning helps but he's getting things done and turned around in a short amount of time. With the move to Minnesota one could assume that he would retain all of those Texas recruiting relationships and hopefully continue to bring Texas talent to Minnesota.

Why He May Not Fit

Does anyone remember Jim Wacker? Coached at a smaller Texas school with a wide open offense that scored a bunch of points, good recruiter who would develop that Texas pipeline but his teams couldn't ever figure out how to stop an opponent from scoring. Well that sounds a lot like Kevin Sumlin at this point. When Sumlin is interviewing he absolutely better have a plan as to how he plans to field a defense at Minnesota. Hiring an outstanding defensive coordinator is a non-negotiable and better be part of the interview vetting.

Sumlin also recently signed a new contract that might get expensive for Minnesota. Sumlin is making about $1.1 million per year. Maybe offering to double his salary would be enticing but is the U's administration willing to fork out that much? I think we all agree that they should if they are serious about putting a winning program on the field but there is nothing that would indicate they are willing to "show me the money". In addition to a likely $2 million per year salary, I'm sure there is a buyout that would have to be paid to Houston.

TDG Approval

Experience - B-
Proven Winner - A-
Minn/B10 Ties - B+
Recruiting - B

I've been a fan of Sumlin's for a while now though his lack of a defense concerns me greatly. Overall I think he'd be a great fit if he comes with a plan and a great defensive coordinator. But that is certainly worth being concerned about. I also am not 100% convinced he'd come to Minnesota with the same wide open offense that he's currently employing in Houston. His offenses at Oklahoma were high scoring but it was not the same thing he's running now. He's put together high scoring offenses with great talent at Oklahoma and with far less talent at Houston. I have no fear that he'd bring some fun, offensive football to Minnesota.

Without doing a lot of research I was very excited about Sumlin. The more I look at him the more I see Jim Wacker. It probably isn't fair for him to make that comparison but it is just so eerily similar. I love that in just two years on the job at Houston he beat three ranked teams and two other BCS teams. I love that he's shown he can raise the level of recruiting at Houston. I love that he put in nearly 15 years at BCS programs before becoming the head man down in Houston.

Is he the right guy? I don't know but I think he'd be a good hire. I'd be willing to give the Sumlin Era a chance. If he gets the job then proceeds to hire a defensive coordinator that gets me excited, I'd be thrilled with the hire.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Kind of scared me after I read it. Sounds a lot like Wacker!

Losing to a 1-5 Rice team and getting drilled by UCLA and Mississippi State doesn't excite me.

I'm open to it. Especially with a coach known for offense, I want to know what he plans on doing about the defense.

Losing to a 1-5 Rice team and getting drilled by UCLA and Mississippi State doesn't excite me.
I am not trying to make excuses for the man,but his All Amarican QB is out for the year,not an easy player to replace.Anyway to me Sumlin is moot,because it seems as thow Joel has a list of coaches in mind who run a specific style of offence,and anyone who runs the air raid will not have a real shot at the job.I don't like it,but it's not my call.

In Sumlin's defense, Houston has really struggled since Case Keenum tore his ACL against UCLA.

The one thing that does worry me about Sumlin is that while his offense can rack up the points, his defense have been equally awful.

I always think two years (now two-and-a-half for Sumlin) is a bit early to tell how good a college head coach is. He's using the previous coach's players, for the most part. It tells me he can coach -- and that's great, too -- but can he recruit? You need both, despite what some on this board believe.

The recruiting information in that article is positive, and he landed the nice QB. But he is in Texas, after all. Can he get those same players to move 1,000 miles north? I'd be more comfortable know if he was going to have this kind of success for five years.

His 4 year starter at QB tore his ACL and he's now going to battle with a freshman. So this season is kind of lost for Houston.

I always think two years (now two-and-a-half for Sumlin) is a bit early to tell how good a college head coach is. He's using the previous coach's players, for the most part. It tells me he can coach -- and that's great, too -- but can he recruit? You need both, despite what some on this board believe.

The recruiting information in that article is positive, and he landed the nice QB. But he is in Texas, after all. Can he get those same players to move 1,000 miles north? I'd be more comfortable know if he was going to have this kind of success for five years.

The QB he landed was from Louisiana so being in Texas isn't necessarily a factor. I'm sure it was because Keenum was graduating and then this kid would be the man for 3 or 4 years.

Too much of a rookie - only three years as HC, plus a pass-happy scheme, weak on defense. I'd put him well down the list. One Wacker is enough.

Here is what ESPN's Pat Forde's take on Brewster, his replacement and other coaches on the hot seat:

"It came for Minnesota coach Tim Brewster (11) on Sunday. Career record as coach of the Gophers: 15-30. Big Ten record: 6-21. Record against obscure opponents from the Dakotas: 1-2. Record this season in the really awesome new stadium your school opened last year: 0-4. So, yeah, the jig was up. As for successors: If the Gophers do what most schools do and counter the profile of the last hire, they get a proven head coach -- but who?

Tony Dungy is not coming home. Mike Leach's aerial circus seems a poor fit for an outdoor team in the Snow Belt. If it were up to The Dash and you wanted someone who knows how to win in the Big Ten without many built-in advantages, a call to Gary Barnett would make a whole lot of sense. (Disclaimer: The Dash played for Barnett in high school.)

Five others who don't want to look out the front window, because a moving van could appear in the driveway any day now:

Mike Locksley (12), New Mexico. The good news for Locksley is that he made it through the bye week without getting whacked. The bad news is that it probably just delays the inevitable. Not much to love about a 1-17 record and some ugly off-field episodes.

Butch Davis (13), North Carolina. His 4-2 team is actually playing with some fortitude and character, given the number of key players who have not suited up due to an ongoing NCAA investigation. But it's impossible to conceive of a scenario by which Davis emerges from said investigation with his job.

Paul Wulff (14), Washington State. Give the Cougars this much: they have stopped getting embarrassed. But they have not stopped getting beaten. Wulff is 4-28 in Pullman, 1-21 in Pac-10 play. Half his victories are over FCS opponents.

• Moving back toward the ledge?

Three embattled coaches got off to decent starts this season before losing key games Saturday. All three could still go bowling; the question is whether that's enough to save their jobs.

Dan Hawkins (15), Colorado. The Buffaloes dropped to 3-3 with a potentially crippling home loss to Baylor, but in a soft Big 12 North there is opportunity to finish strong. Home games against Texas Tech, Iowa State and Kansas State all are possible victories, as is a trip to miserable Kansas. Road games against Oklahoma and Nebraska have rout written all over them.

Ron Zook (16), Illinois. He got a 20-point win at Penn State a couple weeks ago -- but naturally followed that up with a 20-point loss at Michigan State. At 3-3, Illinois has winnable home games left against Indiana, Purdue and Minnesota, plus a potentially feasible trip to Fresno State and other road games against Michigan and Northwestern.

Ralph Friedgen (17), Maryland. The Terrapins are 4-2 in a forgiving league. There are games left against Boston College, Wake Forest and Virginia (combined record: 6-13). But there also are games left against Miami, Florida State and NC State (combined record: 15-5)."

Here is what ESPN's Pat Forde's take on Brewster, his replacement and other coaches on the hot seat:...

So his advice is a coach who will be 65 when the 2011 season starts, not to mention one that hasn't coached in 5 years? Wow, great "serious" suggestion Forde. This makes even less sense than Holtz.

Top Bottom