Minneapolis/TCF Questions from an Away Fan

UP Wolverine

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm going to purchase some tickets this week for when Michigan travels to Minneapolis for the Halloween match-up. I have been wanting to watch a game in TCF since the year it was built, so I've decided that this year is as good as any.

What exactly is the parking situation like around TCF. I know in Ann Arbor, it is nearly impossible to find a parking spot within a couple miles of the stadium, and if you are one of the lucky ones to find a spot close, good luck leaving the game in a timely fashion. Can I expect more of the same near TCF?

Also, I have been told that there are no bad seats in TCF. Do most of you agree with this? I noticed that most of the away fans sit in the Upper level 200-210 sections, but it appears that the video board may not be visible from those particular seats. I would like to get the full stadium experience, to see how it compares to the likes of the Big House, The Horseshoe, and Spartan Stadium.

I can't quite explain how excited I am to go to this game. Prime time match-up between two good teams; one coached by probably the most-respected coach in the B1G and one coached by Jim Harbaugh.

I hear that if you want to tailgate, you must head to the property of the State Fair? Is this true? How far is this from the stadium? Is that distance walkable? It will just be my girlfriend and I, we are both seniors in College now. If anyone is willing to host us at a tailgate, we will help with expenses.

Thank you everyone for your time! If you can think of any other important information that I need to know about Minneapolis or TCF I'm all ears! Good luck this Saturday against Northwestern! Here's to Michigan and Minnesota being ranked for a good primetime match-up on Halloween!

UP Wolverine

I'll try and answer a few of your questions but first, welcome to GH.

Hello all,

I'm going to purchase some tickets this week for when Michigan travels to Minneapolis for the Halloween match-up. I have been wanting to watch a game in TCF since the year it was built, so I've decided that this year is as good as any.

Q: What exactly is the parking situation like around TCF. I know in Ann Arbor, it is nearly impossible to find a parking spot within a couple miles of the stadium, and if you are one of the lucky ones to find a spot close, good luck leaving the game in a timely fashion. Can I expect more of the same near TCF?

Except for the Fair Grounds (see answer below), it will be difficult to park near the stadium. But don't fret, there are a lot of good options. If you really want to tailgate next to the stadium, park for free and ride LRT, bus, or bike to TCF and just blend into the tailgate scene. Most fans will welcome you in to their tailgate party.

Also, I have been told that there are no bad seats in TCF. Do most of you agree with this? I noticed that most of the away fans sit in the Upper level 200-210 sections, but it appears that the video board may not be visible from those particular seats. I would like to get the full stadium experience, to see how it compares to the likes of the Big House, The Horseshoe, and Spartan Stadium.

True, there are no bad seats. However, some seats are better than others :). If I were you, I'd pay a little extra shoot for the lower level near the closed end. Despite it's relatively small seating capacity, I'm told TCF is as loud as it gets for the players on the field. As a resident of the Big House, you can judge for yourself and report back to us ;-). Seriously, you're dropping a lot of money to come here so you may want to pay a little extra for some better seats.

I can't quite explain how excited I am to go to this game. Prime time match-up between two good teams; one coached by probably the most-respected coach in the B1G and one coached by Jim Harbaugh.

Yes, we love of our Jerry. However, Harbaugh is getting everyone's attention with the beat down you gave BYU. We'd be interested in your perspective on this win and the significance of it.

I hear that if you want to tailgate, you must head to the property of the State Fair? Is this true? How far is this from the stadium? Is that distance walkable? It will just be my girlfriend and I, we are both seniors in College now. If anyone is willing to host us at a tailgate, we will help with expenses.

The State Fair Grounds are a good place to tailgate. There is plenty of inexpensive parking, a good tailgating scene, and the University runs a great shuttle bus service to and from the stadium. If I were you, I'd start out tailgating at the Fair Grounds for an hour or two and then jump on a bus (stash a couple/few beers on you), and tailgate for another hour or two next to the stadium. I do this all the time so I'm a bit biased about this approach to tailgating.

You can also park at a bar near several Green or Blue LRT stations and make your way in that way. Both lines will get you right next to TCF.

A few people bike in as well. If you're into that thing, a good way to beat the car traffic in and out. We have something called Nice Ride where you can rent a bike in a one-way direction. It is cheap or even free if you're on the bike for only 30-minutes (I think the first 30-minutes are free).

Thank you everyone for your time! If you can think of any other important information that I need to know about Minneapolis or TCF I'm all ears! Good luck this Saturday against Northwestern! Here's to Michigan and Minnesota being ranked for a good primetime match-up on Halloween!

Thanks for your inquiry and welcome to Gold Country! I'm sure others will give you lots of advice. Oh, and don't be afraid to dress up for Halloween. We take it pretty seriously and in particular the students. We seem to play a lot on Halloween and try to do it right :)

UP Wolverine

I'll try and answer a few of your questions but first, welcome to GH.

Thank you very much! I would assume that StubHub would probably be the best best for securing some tickets, eh?

We are very much excited here in Michigan that Harbaugh finally came home. There is a sense of cautious optimism with the way the program is heading after only 4 weeks into the 2015 season. However, the memory of Hoke's shortcomings after winning a BCS game in his first year is still fresh on the mind of most of the Michigan fanbase. There is no doubt that Harbaugh is on his way to revitalizing the program. This past Saturday was absolutely insane. It's been a LONG time since I've seen the Big House rocking like it was when we shut out BYU.

I, for one, have a great deal of respect for Coach Kill. He seems like an honest coach who gets things done the RIGHT way. A good-hearted man that wants nothing other than to see his team success both on AND off the field. Now that's a coach I can support.

It should be an awesome atmosphere Halloween night.

PS- what is the LRT you mentioned?

I second the welcome to the Gopherhole. LRT= Light Rail Transit. The Greenline goes right to Gate D of TCF Bank Stadium. http://www.metrotransit.org/metro-green-line

I'd agree that their are really no bad seats in the house, but you should be able to get chairbacks for a reasonable amount.
Not sure where a good more lively student tailgate is. Hopefully others can chime in.

LRT is the Light Rail and the Green Line has a station adjacent to TCF. Very handy. http://www.metrotransit.org/metro-green-line There are lots of parking options off University Ave to the east of the stadium and easy access with the Green Line to TCF. It can be a bit congested after the game especially if its a close game and most fans hang til the final whistle. But there are options within a couple of blocks of TCF to hang out and grab a brew and bite to eat where you can join in with the Gopher fans in celebrating another W over the Wolverines..

The game will be a sell-out so yes, STubHub or others would be your best source. You can also check to see if the Michigan has any tickets available from their allotment.

Other questions? Fire away.

What exactly is the parking situation like around TCF. I know in Ann Arbor, it is nearly impossible to find a parking spot within a couple miles of the stadium, and if you are one of the lucky ones to find a spot close, good luck leaving the game in a timely fashion. Can I expect more of the same near TCF?

UP Wolverine

The perfect spot for you is the East River Flats Park (a Minneapolis Park along the river but essentially on campus). You can park and tailgate there for $10 and it's an awesome walk through the main part of campus on your way to the stadium. It can take a while to get out of the campus after the game. I would plan on hanging out in the parking lot or at a bar for at least an hour and then it won't be too bad.
Here's the park: https://www.minneapolisparks.org/parks__destinations/parks_and_lakes/east_river_flats_park/

The State Fair tailgate lot is definitely not walkable. It's a bus trip.

As others have mentioned, if you're staying in downtown minneapolis you can just take the light rail to campus, but I'd also recommend waiting it out for a while after the game to let the crowds subside.

OH and UP-er Wolverine - please agree with us that Wisconsin fans are the worst.

Welcome UP Wolve,

I think I would wait and buy lower level tix either a couple days prior or even game day. Much better deals and better seats. I'd skip the Fairgrounds thing. Too far away and the shuttle is a hassle especially post game (same with light rail). Sounds like you will be arriving at least couple hours before game so I'd park in the Dinkytown area (3/4 mile west of stadium); we always find spots in residential areas and super easy getting out post game.

Agree with previous poster to tailgate around stadium. I'm sure many Gopher fans would invite you to their gate. You can also do the bar thing at: Sally's, Stub & Herbs, Buffalo WW all within couple blocks of stadium.

My two cents as I procrastinate my CPA studies:

"What exactly is the parking situation like around TCF. I know in Ann Arbor, it is nearly impossible to find a parking spot within a couple miles of the stadium, and if you are one of the lucky ones to find a spot close, good luck leaving the game in a timely fashion. Can I expect more of the same near TCF?"

Answer: While parking near the stadium in the lots may result in some bad traffic post-game, there are a few neighborhoods where you can park on the street for free and exit relatively smoothly post game. I've never had an issue parking in Como or Prospect Park, even for sellout games.

Como, ~1.25 miles away:

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 7.52.10 PM.jpg

Prospect Park, ~1.3 miles away:

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 7.55.28 PM.jpg

"Also, I have been told that there are no bad seats in TCF. Do most of you agree with this? I noticed that most of the away fans sit in the Upper level 200-210 sections, but it appears that the video board may not be visible from those particular seats. I would like to get the full stadium experience, to see how it compares to the likes of the Big House, The Horseshoe, and Spartan Stadium."

Answer: Section 201 - 205 generally have the most away fans, but from there you would not be able to see the video board. And they are designated in the top-half as "Visting Team Seats": http://gamedayrcom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ticket_seating_map.jpg

Overall, I would agree with that sentiment compared to many stadiums I've been to. A "nosebleed" here is significantly better than a "nosebleed" in most other stadiums. Seatgeek has a cool interactive seating chart: https://seatgeek.com/venues/tcf-bank-stadium/seating-chart/

If on a budget, I prefer the first 10-15 rows of the Upper Level Corners. If no budget is involved, my favorite seats in the stadium are the first 10 rows, Upper Level, between the 30-yard lines. Fantastic seats with a great view of the whole field.

"I hear that if you want to tailgate, you must head to the property of the State Fair? Is this true? How far is this from the stadium? Is that distance walkable? It will just be my girlfriend and I, we are both seniors in College now. If anyone is willing to host us at a tailgate, we will help with expenses."

Answer: While there is tailgating at the fair, this is not true. The main tailgating lots can be seen on this map: http://www.gopherfootballtickets.com/img/venues/Gopher Football Tailgating.JPG

There are other lots as well on "West Bank", as well as a few bars with outdoor tailgates in Stadium Village.

You'll find me in the student lot, aka Jerrysota, aka the "Victory Lot" on the map above.

"Thank you everyone for your time! If you can think of any other important information that I need to know about Minneapolis or TCF I'm all ears! Good luck this Saturday against Northwestern! Here's to Michigan and Minnesota being ranked for a good primetime match-up on Halloween!"

You should have a blast in MN. If $$$ is no object, the Wild play the Blackhawks at Xcel Energy Center - a very nice stadium - on Friday night 10/30. Might not be in the budget for a college kid, but I figured I would mention it for the other Michigan fans lurking this thread.

And if you have some spare time, I would recommend checking out Surly Brewery and heading down by Lake Calhoun and exploring the Uptown area.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 7.53.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 7.53.27 PM.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 30

From the sounds of it you will be driving in....where from, if I may ask.

I don't get to many games(I'm 120 miles west of Mpls) but here are my thoughts:

1. Pretty much all parking near stadium is reserved parking. You can find some of those on Stub Hub. Depending on your budget, it may well be worth it.

2. Other best option is to park downtown and take the Light Rail....you can decide when you want to arrive and when you want to leave.

3. Third choice would be take shuttle from one of the bar/restaurants. I took the one from Jax Cafe once. No hassle or worries..but you get there only so early and leave immediately after game. Limits your time around stadium/campus/campus bars.

As far as seats....if you're not doing the mid-field thing, I too would lean towards the closed end. Gives you better vies of video board(as in replay and live). Personally I hate sitting in first few rows of lower deck. I would say best seats are top 10 or 15 rows of first deck and maybe first 10 rows of upper deck.

Home side is more in shade and cooler. Visitor side is more in sun and warmer. This may not apply if it is dark.:rolleyes:

Where in the UP ya from? Wife's extended family is from Newberry, love it up that way

You all are awesome! Thank you very much for all of the information!

I always get worried waiting to buy tickets until the last minute. At least here in AA, they try to sell at above market price the closer you get to the game. I already promised the girlfriend I would get tickets, so I don't want to be the idiot boyfriend who misses out by waiting to the last second. Plus, I see Minnesota winning out from now until then, so I imagine that the tickets will be a high commodity!

On a side note just to keep the conversation going, what do you guys think of your season so far? One loss to a good TCU team is nothing to hang your heads on. Your defense looks LEGIT, and while the wins may not be the prettiest, they're still a win.

What is your outlook on the rest of the season?

You all are awesome! Thank you very much for all of the information!

I always get worried waiting to buy tickets until the last minute. At least here in AA, they try to sell at above market price the closer you get to the game. I already promised the girlfriend I would get tickets, so I don't want to be the idiot boyfriend who misses out by waiting to the last second. Plus, I see Minnesota winning out from now until then, so I imagine that the tickets will be a high commodity!

On a side note just to keep the conversation going, what do you guys think of your season so far? One loss to a good TCU team is nothing to hang your heads on. Your defense looks LEGIT, and while the wins may not be the prettiest, they're still a win
What is your outlook on the rest of the season?

I think people would say we could win anywhere from 2 to 6 big ten games (not even trying to be funny). The only game that looks extremely difficult to win is the OSU game. Most of the rest (except Illinois/Purdue) could really go either way.

Offense improved dramatically this past weekend. Our defense is great. Special teams is normally good, but had a bad game last weekend. LOTS of injuries making it really hard to tell just how good our team is. We had a lot of injuries going into last weekend and then we had 7 starters not finish the game due to injuries.

Plus, I see Minnesota winning out from now until then, so I imagine that the tickets will be a high commodity!

Thanks for the kind words :clap: :clap:

In terms of the Gophers outlook: the general sentiment is that we could win 5-6 games if the offense continues to improve, but it could be a long season if Leidner has some bad games and/or the offensive line doesn't come together very well. Check out some other threads for some more in-depth analysis.

Where in the UP ya from? Wife's extended family is from Newberry, love it up that way

Newberry is a beautiful place. I'm from a little further west however, in Marquette. To answer station19, this is where I will be driving from.

Newberry is a beautiful place. I'm from a little further west however, in Marquette. To answer station19, this is where I will be driving from.

Marquette - home of the best college hockey team in the state of Michigan! :)

Marquette - home of the best college hockey team in the state of Michigan! :)

Well, that used to be the case, at least in my humble opinion. Maybe the wildcats can stop dropping series to the likes of Alabama-Huntsville at home..

Well, that used to be the case, at least in my humbled opinion. Maybe the wildcats can stop dropping series to the likes of Alabama-Huntsville at home..

You're right - Tech is better. I stand corrected.

Let's not rush it. It's still football season! Hockey will be here soon enough!

Just giving you a hard time. I actually like Michigan hockey. But like you said ... back to football.

Back to your original questions - are you planning on staying downtown? How set are you on tailgating? That might determine what you want to do. There is also one hotel right on campus (The Commons).

Just giving you a hard time. I actually like Michigan hockey. But like you said ... back to football.

Back to your original questions - are you planning on staying downtown? How set are you on tailgating? That might determine what you want to do. There is also one hotel right on campus (The Commons).

Days Inn is actually closer than the Commons to the stadium.

I'm not really set on anything yet. If tickets end up costing more than I'm expecting, I'm not above sleeping in the Jeep at a rest stop. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to see the Wolverines play at new (to me) venues.

Tailgating would be nice, only because I like to meet/chat with members from other fanbases. While we all want our teams to win, in the end, we're all very similar and it's neat meeting new people who share common interests (sans OSU fans.)

The St Paul lot is not as bad an option as people think. They have the shuttle situation worked out. With the LRT taking a lot of traffic the wait after the game is about 15 min on a busy day. It used to be 45. The lot has really increased the number of tailgaters. I've never been to the river flats but I'm guessing the St Paul lot has easily the most tailgaters for a non reserved lot.

If you're looking for a real cheap hotel not too far away (less than 10 miles away) there is a Motel 6 in Roseville for $68/night. If you want/can spend more I'd think about staying at the TownPlace Suites in the North Loop area of downtown Minneapolis for $125/night. It's a nice hotel and right around some cool affordable restaurants in walking distance (The Red Cow, Black Sheep Pizza, The Freehouse, and the Smack Shack), if you like beer you can walk over to Fulton Brewery. For the football game you have about a 6 block walk over to catch the Green Line at the Target Field Station.

http://fultonbeer.com
http://blacksheeppizza.com
http://smack-shack.com
http://www.freehousempls.com
http://redcowmn.com

Days Inn is actually closer than the Commons to the stadium.

You are right - I think I've mentally crossed Days Inns off the list of hotels I would ever stay at so it didn't even come to mind. They are both very close to the stadium though.

I'm not really set on anything yet. If tickets end up costing more than I'm expecting, I'm not above sleeping in the Jeep at a rest stop. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to see the Wolverines play at new (to me) venues.

Tailgating would be nice, only because I like to meet/chat with members from other canvases. While we all want our teams to win, in the end, we're all very similar and it's neat meeting new people who share common interests (sans OSU fans.)

If you do end up wanting to tailgate I would definitely recommend the East River Flats then. Cheap, nice setting on the river, lots of room. I haven't checked, but you might be surprised how cheap some downtown Minneapolis hotels are on weekends.

The St Paul lot is not as bad an option as people think. They have the shuttle situation worked out. With the LRT taking a lot of traffic the wait after the game is about 15 min on a busy day. It used to be 45. The lot has really increased the number of tailgaters. I've never been to the river flats but I'm guessing the St Paul lot has easily the most tailgaters for a non reserved lot.
20150926_114755_resized.jpg

This is a picture of the river flats 3 hours before game time. It's 1 mile from the stadium and you walk past all of the good close bars (Sallys, Stub and Herbs, station 19BW's). It's $10 and never fills up, plenty of room to spread out and tailgate, no hassles.

View attachment 3837

This is a picture of the river flats 3 hours before game time. It's 1 mile from the stadium and you walk past all of the good close bars (Sallys, Stub and Herbs, station 19BW's). It's $10 and never fills up, plenty of room to spread out and tailgate, no hassles.

Excellent! Thank you! My gosh I am looking forward to it! Maybe I'll run into some of you before game time.

Top Bottom