Mike Rallis Question

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone remember what his injury was? I thought I remembered it being a year ending injury.

Also, would he be eligible for a medical redshirt? I always thought he was a pretty darn good football player. It would be nice to get 3 more years out of him.

Does anyone remember what his injury was? I thought I remembered it being a year ending injury.

Also, would he be eligible for a medical redshirt? I always thought he was a pretty darn good football player. It would be nice to get 3 more years out of him.

Broke his leg in the Cal game. I'm unsure if he'd be eligible for a medical redshirt.

game 3 of 12...25%.....i'd assume he is. someone said its 30% of the season, rounded up meaning 4 games.

game 3 of 12...25%.....i'd assume he is. someone said its 30% of the season, rounded up meaning 4 games.

It's actually 20%. It depends on whether they consider the Cal game as a full game, since 2/12 would be 16.6%, and 3/12 would be 25%. It's up to their own interpretation, but I think they usually count even 1 play as a full game, so I would guess that he's out of luck for a medical redshirt.

Does it change anything if we make a Bowl game, or is the percentage based off of the regular season?

Regular season. Nobody has been able to say what they do with the .4 tho. Do they round it up or down. Two or three games. So far we've only had guesses.

Rallis won't be able to get a medical redshirt (hardship waiver).

You are only eligible for a hardship waiver if you you have not participated in more than two contests or 20 percent (whichever is greater) of the scheduled contests. Rallis got injured during the third game of the season (i'm assuming he played in both of the first two games), so he would not qualify.

I expect the NCAA to give him a medical Red-Shirt. It was a broken leg that required surgery to set/repair if I remember correctly.

isn't 20% greater than two games?

I am sure the NCAA just worded it that way to avoid in possible discrepencies. The fact that Rallis has played in 3 contests means that he is ineligible for a hardship waiver (medical redshirt).

Do you know that or are you just guessing? And if you do know that how do you know that, because haven't been able to find that spelled out.

How do you know they don't round partial games up to the whole game? I'm not arguing, but this comes up often and nobody knows for sure, everyone just guesses.

Do you know that or are you just guessing? And if you do know that how do you know that, because haven't been able to find that spelled out.

How do you know they don't round partial games up to the whole game? I'm not arguing, but this comes up often and nobody knows for sure, everyone just guesses.

It's cool, I looked it up on the NCAA website. Here is the actual language...(I was wrong about 20% it's 30%)....

A. "Hardship" is defined by NCAA regulations as "an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness," provided that certain criteria set forth by NCAA regulations are met. Such incapacity may include a female athlete's pregnancy. A student-athlete will not be charged with the loss of that season of competition eligibility by the conference or the Academics / Eligibility / Compliance Cabinet if all the following criteria are met:
1. The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution or occurs subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year of high school;
2. The injury or illness occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and
3. The injury/illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport), or 30% (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled competition (excluding exhibition contests and scrimmages) against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), is countable in calculating the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport.

Now that I re-read this, I think he will get a medical redshirt. I think it should be read as...You can't play if you have played in 3 contests or 30% of your team's season (whichever is greater).....

Well, 30% of the football season is 3.6 games, and since 3.6 > 3, you use the 30% benchmark. Rallis was injured during the 3rd game (so 2.5 lets say). Rallis did not compete in 30% of the football season, therefore he should get a medical redshirt. I was wrong before, I think...

That's good news for Rallis, and I think Orseke. Thank you for taking the time to look this up.

It's funny, I saw this before and I thought for sure it said 20%. I wonder if there is another one for another purpose. lt wouldn't suprise me as it would be just like the NCAA to make it even more complicated.

I really would like to see come clarification on the fraction. All I've heard is that they only work in whole games. By that I mean they aren't trying to find where the .6 of a game ends. But I've never heard if the fraction is rounded up to a full game or excluded. There's no absolute. They can do it anyway they want. Even using the .5 like typical and moving up or down. But claification would be great as 30% is 3.6 which is closer to four than three. so really two out of the three likely methods of rounding move it to a four game deal.

This is almost as bad as trying to fiugre out academic eligibility.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking Schnoodler. I wouldn't even want to try to calculate how the NCAA would calculate fractions of a game. As far as the discrepency in 20% to 30%, it used to be a 20% criteria until about 3 years ago. I think the first language I looked up must have been a bit older, I found article online talking about how the NCAA bumped it up to 30% in 2007.

Top Bottom