Mike Max: High profile AD candidates haven't shown much interest in U job

And Mike Max's true colors come out once again...anytime that he can write or spew something that leaves the U with a negative persception...he will do it. I can't help but to remember how negative he was on the University when the Gophers were trying to get the Stadium through the State Legislature.

If true (and when it comes to statements like "the word is" I tend to be careful) I'm not surprised. The last few years have been a mess for the athletic department. The money sports, with the exception of this year's men's hockey team, have been disappointing. There has been some notable ugliness when it comes to how the department has handled certain situations (Jimmy Williams and the golf coach fiasco being just two of the more noticeable ones). One top of that, it seems the U has earned a reputation for being pennie pinchers while also embracing mediocrity at every turn from its teams. Add all that up and it's not exactly a recipe towards attracting high profile candidates.

Having said all that, it could also be that Mike Max is simply spreading a rumor. However in this case, I find it at least plausible.

Who broke the original scoop that Trevor was getting the sixth year ? I believe it was Max.

If true (and when it comes to statements like "the word is" I tend to be careful) I'm not surprised. The last few years have been a mess for the athletic department. The money sports, with the exception of this year's men's hockey team, have been disappointing. There has been some notable ugliness when it comes to how the department has handled certain situations (Jimmy Williams and the golf coach fiasco being just two of the more noticeable ones). One top of that, it seems the U has earned a reputation for being pennie pinchers while also embracing mediocrity at every turn from its teams. Add all that up and it's not exactly a recipe towards attracting high profile candidates.

Having said all that, it could also be that Mike Max is simply spreading a rumor. However in this case, I find it at least plausible.

What has all this to do with hiring a new AD? Wouldn't you be hiring a new AD to fix all this (by request of the new President)?

I'm confused. What is a "high profile" candidate? A loaded question, but I just want a good AD.

Also, there is no way that Max knows of who he speaks. There is no leak to be had, except for some frightened AD employees...

What has all this to do with hiring a new AD? Wouldn't you be hiring a new AD to fix all this (by request of the new President)?

I'm confused.
Because all of this makes it a very difficult job and a higher chance of failure?

What has all this to do with hiring a new AD? Wouldn't you be hiring a new AD to fix all this (by request of the new President)?I'm confused. What is a "high profile" candidate? A loaded question, but I just want a good AD.

Also, there is no way that Max knows of who he speaks. There is no leak to be had, except for some frightened AD employees...

I agree. In my eyes, hiring somebody willing to help fix the issues would be great. But I don't think the reputation that the U has garnered is simply limited to the messes created by Maturi. I have a feeling it goes much deeper (and longer) than that. In other words, administrative types who are ambitious need not apply because Minnesota has done things this way for years (and perhaps decades) and isn't likely to change. As such, any change in approach would be pilloried by the higher-ups because it's not "the Minnesota way." What we need is a guy willing to look at our past, man up, and say "the old way of doing things doesn't cut it."

What we need is a guy willing to look at our past, man up, and say "the old way of doing things doesn't cut it."
Isn't that the whole point of hiring a new AD (we just got the new president who claims to be committed to athletics)?

wouldn't that problem not be there....

I agree. In my eyes, hiring somebody willing to help fix the issues would be great. But I don't think the reputation that the U has garnered is simply limited to the messes created by Maturi. I have a feeling it goes much deeper (and longer) than that. In other words, administrative types who are ambitious need not apply because Minnesota has done things this way for years (and perhaps decades) and isn't likely to change. As such, any change in approach would be pilloried by the higher-ups because it's not "the Minnesota way." What we need is a guy willing to look at our past, man up, and say "the old way of doing things doesn't cut it."

...because of who his boss is? The old way won't cut it per quotes from Kahler.

And thank goodness for that! There is hope because of that alone.

GM

Because all of this makes it a very difficult job and a higher chance of failure?

"All of this" was created by a 50 string of crappy school Presidents and ADs. Kahler knows what he's doing. I know it's a shock to the system...

Also, a factor might be the state law that forces the U to release the names of the finalists. If you are currently an AD, do you want it to be known that you are looking for another job?

Also, a factor might be the state law that forces the U to release the names of the finalists. If you are currently an AD, do you want it to be known that you are looking for another job?

Bingo!

...because of who his boss is? The old way won't cut it per quotes from Kahler.

And thank goodness for that! There is hope because of that alone.

GM

Saying it is one thing. Actually doing it is something else entirely. And for the record, I'm not disputing that Kahler has every intention of changing things. It's just that after 50 years of the same approach, it'll take more than just saying the right things before the U's reputation changes.

per Max:

"Even though the University of Minnesota will likely pay twice what outgoing athletic director Joel Maturi earns, the word is that a lot of high profile candidates for the position simply haven’t shown much interest in the job."

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/04/14/mike-maxs-news-and-notes-for-april-14-2012/

Go Gophers!!

You must be kidding...other than being a little bitter CCO radio lost Gopher football and hoops, Maxie jock sniffs with the best of them when it comes to Gopher athletics.

Remember Dan Cole's site:

http://web.archive.org/web/20091106072651/http://homersota.com/max_mike.html

Saying it is one thing. Actually doing it is something else entirely. And for the record, I'm not disputing that Kahler has every intention of changing things. It's just that after 50 years of the same approach, it'll take more than just saying the right things before the U's reputation changes.

This. Just because he wants it to happen doesn't mean it will or that doing so will be easy to accomplish. Him seemingly wanting to make the changes is a great start, but only a start.

I wouldn't expect that we'd be able to get a high profile candidate. For a high-profile candidate, the Minnesota AD job is a lateral move at best. What we need is a good AD who is ready to move up to the next level.

I wouldn't expect that we'd be able to get a high profile candidate. For a high-profile candidate, the Minnesota AD job is a lateral move at best. What we need is a good AD who is ready to move up to the next level.

Does this leave out Tony Dungy?

highwayman said:

I'm confused. What is a "high profile" candidate? A loaded question, but I just want a good AD.

You really believe there is no possibility of leaks in the AD department. The same athletic department with many of the same people that leaked the likely Brewster firing before the Purdue game. Mike Max may not be correct but to discount that he might just be right is incorrect as well.

"All of this" was created by a 50 string of crappy school Presidents and ADs. Kahler knows what he's doing. I know it's a shock to the system...
Ya KALER knows what he is doing, but that doesn't change the fact that there is a lot to overcome.

"Even though the University of Minnesota will likely pay twice what outgoing athletic director Joel Maturi earns

Shooter mentioned that, as well.

Do we really think the U should or would pay a new AD more than $900,000 per year? That would rank #8 among ADs nationally.

Shooter mentioned that, as well.

Do we really think the U should or would pay a new AD more than $900,000 per year? That would rank #8 among ADs nationally.

The last time the U was looking for a new football coach the 'word' was they would pay up to 2 or 2.5 mill.

Didn't end up being that much.

Max is a legend in his own mind. He was a d-bag when he started in Duluth and that is his legacy as we speak. I remember when he was doing the Glen Mason Show and would ask questions that made Mason give him the WTF look. Before he was married he use to hangout at the Commander Bar in BreezyPoint. He considered himself the Don Juan of the domestics when around women. Total
tool....

Max is a legend in his own mind. He was a d-bag when he started in Duluth and that is his legacy as we speak. I remember when he was doing the Glen Mason Show and would ask questions that made Mason give him the WTF look. Before he was married he use to hangout at the Commander Bar in BreezyPoint. He considered himself the Don Juan of the domestics when around women. Total
tool....

Yes he did and so have I. Good place, the Garbage Can Pizza is the best pizza in the world. Not only that, Mike Max took time at the Fishing Opener at Eddy's Resort on Mille Lacs 3 or 4 years ago to interview my 10 year old grandson for his Opening Fishing report, which was broadcast on Twin Cities TV report, something my grandkid will never forget. He also bought my grandson and me breakfast that morning.

Yes he did and so have I. Good place, the Garbage Can Pizza is the best pizza in the world. Not only that, Mike Max took time at the Fishing Opener at Eddy's Resort on Mille Lacs 3 or 4 years ago to interview my 10 year old grandson for his Opening Fishing report, which was broadcast on Twin Cities TV report, something my grandkid will never forget. He also bought my grandson and me breakfast that morning.

Ahhhh, the Garbage at Commander.... The good ol' days... Even better when my HS History teacher was still behind the bar. Should have stuck to bartending.

Top Bottom