Mike Max: Blake invited to Portsmouth; Tubby agrees to terms of contract

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From Maxie:

"The only thing keeping U of M basketball coach Tubby Smith from signing an extension is the semantics of getting all the paper work. The terms have been agreed to, although that doesn’t mean other teams won’t keep calling."

"Blake Hoffarber, guard on the U of M basketball team, got an invitation to go to the NBA’s Portsmouth Camp for college prospects."

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/03/15/mike-max’s-news-and-notes-3/

Go Gophers!!

Hopkins

Congrats to Blake.

Also in Maxie's link was this other Hopkins related bit...

Harvard head coach Tommy Amaker has been out to watch Hopkins High School point guard, Siyani Chambers, four times this season

Hopkins rules.

:clap::clap::clap:

WHAT? You mean Tubby isn't going to bolt for Arkansas or Maryland or Virginia or Georgia?

Hopkins rules.

:clap::clap::clap:
Speaking of that, I saw the article RE: the other kid who played guard with Hoffarber at Hopkins in the STrib today. Edit: found the Strib link here.

Nicolai is an All-American and was the MIAC Player of the Year last year...he's now leading St. Thomas to the Final Four this week. Looks like he's been coming up huge for them over the past few years...

Though we've missed out on some of their guys like Trent Lockett, we've at least locked up most of the pipeline from Hopkins ---> U of MN over the past 10 years or so (Jeff Hagen, Kris Humphries, Dan Coleman, Blake Hoffarber, Royce White, Joe Coleman, etc.). We didn't really "lock up" Zack Puctel since he transferred in, but he had a fun little "overachiever" run there for the one year.

Does JG or GOTR or anyone else have any idea on where we are at with Chambers? Since we signed Hollins & Welch, does that mean we won't need a PG for 2013?

sgl

Speaking of that, I saw the article RE: the other kid who played guard with Hoffarber at Hopkins in the STrib today. Edit: found the Strib link here.

Nicolai is an All-American and was the MIAC Player of the Year last year...he's now leading St. Thomas to the Final Four this week. Looks like he's been coming up huge for them over the past few years...

Though we've missed out on some of their guys like Trent Lockett, we've at least locked up most of the pipeline from Hopkins ---> U of MN over the past 10 years or so (Jeff Hagen, Kris Humphries, Dan Coleman, Blake Hoffarber, Royce White, Joe Coleman, etc.). We didn't really "lock up" Zack Puctel since he transferred in, but he had a fun little "overachiever" run there for the one year.

Does JG or GOTR or anyone else have any idea on where we are at with Chambers? Since we signed Hollins & Welch, does that mean we won't need a PG for 2013?

Not to sound like Doogie or Myron but I heard from a well respected source here at the hole that so far the Gophers have not shown a lot of interest.

I'm finally relaxing and feeling good about Tubby coming back next year. That is great news.

I do wonder why Tubby's name gets mentioned with other jobs more than any other coach in the country though. Is it just journalists speculating, or is Tubby really going out there every year and looking for a new job?

I don't have any inside knowledge on this one at the moment, but I would imagine things will become more clear once we wrap up the 2011 class. One concern with me, which may be a concern with Tubby as well, is Chambers' size. I like his ability to manage a team and play defense (which Tubby must love), but he could use some physical maturing. I would imagine Tubby and staff will keep a close eye on both Chambers and Staten (as well as others, but that class is pretty limited on point guard prospects compared to most years) this summer and he should have a chance to prove himself then.

Good news for Blake. While I still tend to think that he has a very small chance of actually making the NBA, this would be a good start. I would only guess that a decent European career is in store for Hoff.

How does Blake compare to BYU's lead guard who seems quite skilled and is ranked 10th by some in draft projections? Both seem to lack the burst of speed craved right now by NBA teams (Rose, Westbrook, etc).

Jimmer is much better at creating off the dribble and getting to the rim. He pulls up off the dribble a lot more too. Both are great shooters obviously.

How does Blake compare to BYU's lead guard who seems quite skilled and is ranked 10th by some in draft projections? Both seem to lack the burst of speed craved right now by NBA teams (Rose, Westbrook, etc).
They're totally different players...you can't really compare the National Player of the Year in BYU's Fredette to Hoffarber.

Jimmer plays PG, and although not lightning fast, can beat people into the lane because he's usually stronger than the person guarding him, and has a good change of pace. He also handles the ball extremely well. Couple that with the fact that he's usually a very strong passer, and undoubtedly has the deepest range in the collegiate game today, I can see why he could be a lottery pick.

Hoffarber was a fine college ballplayer, but he will not earn a living in the NBA. Fredette is SO much better at every aspect of the game it's not even close. And that being said, I don't know if Fredette is any better than a sixth-man in the NBA... JJ Redick/Kirk Heinrich hybrid.

Top Bottom