Mike Leach?

Too much baggage. Look elsewhere.

Mike Leach has to be #1, other possible candidates:
June Jones
Kevin Sumlin
Pat Hill
Al Golden

Please stop with the Mike Leach crap. Would be a terrible hire. Another coach in a similar fashion to Mason in that only play defense because it's required.

Another drastic change in personnel.

His offense wont succeed in the Big 10. Too many Big 10 teams rely heavily on defense compared to Big 12 teams.

No way we get one of these guys. That would make to much sense. Because our DB's sucked maybe we will are an NFL DB coach who is a great recruiter.

June Jones??? Don't make me laugh. Want to go back to the old "duck and chuck" of the Wacker era?

Hmm...

...Mike Stoops of Arizona or his brother Stoops of FSU - D- Coordinator?

Not sure about Sumlin....but no way to Mike Leach. I hate that offense...not in this climate.

Golden would be fine with me too.

Jim Grobe of Wake Forest?

Should be an interesting fall.

GM

Mike Leach would run a hardcore spread that would have no chance to succeed here. Also, he's nuts. Is Bea Arthur still alive? Not that it matters.

...Mike Stoops of Arizona or his brother Stoops of FSU - D- Coordinator?
I'd pass on both.

Stoops was just on the hot seat a few seasons ago. He hasn't turned Arizona around to the point where those hot seat years can be overlooked. Mark Stoops was a Hawkeye.

Not sure about Sumlin....but no way to Mike Leach. I hate that offense...not in this climate.
Sumlin's an interesting canidate. His defenses are very bad though.

Golden would be fine with me too.
Hes holding out for the Penn State job.

Jim Grobe of Wake Forest?

He has a lifetime contract at Wake Forest.

Should be an interesting fall.

GM

It should.

The spread absolutely could succeed at Minnesota. The problem I have with Leach is that he's a Texas guy who's connections are based in that area of the country. He won't outrecruit Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, and probably not Oklahoma State, TCU, or Texas Tech. We would be looking at a situation where we would likely only get kids who those 7 schools didn't want (not counting the kids that leave the state for Florida, USC, LSU, etc). If Leach was a slam dunk, I would have no issues with his character concerns. I am sick and tired or losing and putting a winning product on the field needs to be priority 1.

When Leach took the job at Texas Tech their graduation rate was far below the national average, when he left it was tops in the country.

I'd be stoked if we got a proven big name like Leach. Texas Tech was a joke before he got there. Our team is still mostly made up of spread players so I don't think the transition would be that bad.

The spread absolutely could succeed at Minnesota. The problem I have with Leach is that he's a Texas guy who's connections are based in that area of the country. He won't outrecruit Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, and probably not Oklahoma State, TCU, or Texas Tech. We would be looking at a situation where we would likely only get kids who those 7 schools didn't want (not counting the kids that leave the state for Florida, USC, LSU, etc). If Leach was a slam dunk, I would have no issues with his character concerns. I am sick and tired or losing and putting a winning product on the field needs to be priority 1.

Then hire a coach like him that knows how to coach! bringing in another "recruiter" isn't going to work! It's time to hire a football coach to coach a football team! And Leach is that man!

He would be great but Maturi would never let it happen. You'd have to actually take a risk to do that and Maturi will play it safe, as always.

1) Lifetime contract to Chris Petersen for double whatever Boise St is paying him
2) Pat Hill
3) South Dakotas coach
4) Middle Tenn States coach
5) Whoever is coaching TEs for Denver

Out of the three finalists for the last hire, we hired the worst guy. I'd rather have Kiffin or Charlie Strong.

One of our best gopher QB's and lots of experience (coaching NFL europe, back up to manning, head coach now at SWMS) Cory Sauter young and smart and not full of himself (ask T Dungy)

Okay. I'll say it. Hohensee.

Seriously, not Leach. Get someone younger with a more straight-ahead approach. Golden would be a good choice. I doubt he'd get the Penn State job, but who knows?

As for Leach, I think he lacks the people skills plain-and-simple.

Mark Stoops was a Hawkeye.

All of the Stoops (Bob, Mike, Mark) were Hawkeyes.

Bob interviewed for the Gopher job when Mason took it. Bob wasn't truly interested in the gig. I agree with you on Mike Stoops - has not done enough at Arizona to warrant luring him here (although I don't think he'd take this job anyway). Mark is out in my book, because I think we need to hire a guy with head coaching experience, should we eventually choose to replace Brewster.

Top Bottom