Mike Krzyzewski has decided to retire after this coming season

Good riddance. One less major scumbag in college basketball.
I don't follow CBB that closely, so I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just curious what it is? Does he cheat in recruiting? I know like 20 years ago he said he wouldn't do one and dones and then a few years later he joined the crowd because he needed to. But that's all I really know.

Maybe nothing specific. But Duke always seemed to be able to find a way to get kids into school that "needed" to get into school. And to keep kids who "needed" to be eligible, eligible. Maybe not cheating on the level of North Carolina. But suspicion........

LOL, Coach K wasn't going to retire at a time when he wouldn't be able to receive the ego-stroking farewell tour that will be coming--who's the first to opine how magical it will be if Coach K leaves with a national championship? (No Vegas bookmaker will take odds on Dukie V, I'd imagine) Who writes the article about Coach Ki's love for the game tarnished by the transfer portal and a wistful reminiscing about how the game has changed (while turning a blind eye towards K's immersion into the one and done market).

My fellow Duke/Coach K despisers, stock up on motion sickness medication, the waters will be turbulent between now and April (hopefully early March--it would befit the recent Duke run if the Blue Devils bow out in the opening weekend)

Regardless of how everyone feels, he will be inducted in the hall of fame. Does Duke continue it's hold on blue blood status?

Regardless of how everyone feels, he will be inducted in the hall of fame. Does Duke continue it's hold on blue blood status?
If you are referring to the Basketball Hall of Fame, in Springfield, MA he was inducted in 2001.

LOL, Coach K wasn't going to retire at a time when he wouldn't be able to receive the ego-stroking farewell tour that will be coming--who's the first to opine how magical it will be if Coach K leaves with a national championship? (No Vegas bookmaker will take odds on Dukie V, I'd imagine) Who writes the article about Coach Ki's love for the game tarnished by the transfer portal and a wistful reminiscing about how the game has changed (while turning a blind eye towards K's immersion into the one and done market).

My fellow Duke/Coach K despisers, stock up on motion sickness medication, the waters will be turbulent between now and April (hopefully early March--it would befit the recent Duke run if the Blue Devils bow out in the opening weekend)
This was a pretty funny post. And I'd love to see them get knocked out in the first game. I had them winning it all once and they lost the first game, ruined my bracket and my ten bucks or whatever lol.

Ben Johnson his heir apparent? What recruits do you think would follow him to Duke? We should try and extend Johnson immediately to make it painful for programs to snipe him.
There seems to have been plenty of sniping directed at Johnson from the moment he was hired--no need for other programs to get involved.

Part of me wonders if K will expect gifts of gold, frankincense ad myrrh everywhere he goes this season. Some locales, commentators and players will undoubtedly demand a level of deference that reaches similar levels.

On the overall, I agree with Coolhand: It's going to be plenty nauseating. I imagine Dickie V has spent the last few hours crying himself to sleep over the news.

Part of me wonders if K will expect gifts of gold, frankincense ad myrrh everywhere he goes this season. Some locales, commentators and players will undoubtedly demand it.

On the overall, I agree with Coolhand: It's going to be plenty nauseating. I imagine Dickie V has spent the last few hours crying himself to sleep over the news.
Dickie V probably excited, more opportunity for him to have one on one time with K post retirement, will probably invite him to several ESPN CBB broadcasts

At least he knows where they keep that "Zion money" so they don't have to worry about any recruiting drop off
True, but those are still going to be some massive shoes to fill. Love him or hate him, Coach K was a legend and it is always tough to be the next coach after a guy like that retires.

True, but those are still going to be some massive shoes to fill. Love him or hate him, Coach K was a legend and it is always tough to be the next coach after a guy like that retires.

Oh I agree. Was more just poking fun at Duke's "clean image". But I'd be surprised if there isn't a drop off at Duke after he leaves. Will be very interesting to see if kids are/were more about the Duke brand or about playing for Coach K.

Oh I agree. Was more just poking fun at Duke's "clean image". But I'd be surprised if there isn't a drop off at Duke after he leaves. Will be very interesting to see if kids are/were more about the Duke brand or about playing for Coach K.
Yeah I will be more interested in seeing if Scheyer will get out of the 1 and done game and start team building again? It was sad to see K kiss the ring at the end of his career and go full sleeze and quit coaching and developing.

Yeah I will be more interested in seeing if Scheyer will get out of the 1 and done game and start team building again? It was sad to see K kiss the ring at the end of his career and go full sleeze and quit coaching and developing.

Obviously the other variable here is that the assumption *had been* that this next draft class may be the last one for "one and dones". I know at least a year ago, David Silver was alluding to the fact that they may change the system to allow kids to either go straight into the NBA from the draft, but if they go to college, they'd need to stay at least a couple years (very similar to baseball). Either way, I know there has been a lot of chatter about removing the one-year requirement that has so changed the college game.

Obviously the other variable here is that the assumption *had been* that this next draft class may be the last one for "one and dones". I know at least a year ago, David Silver was alluding to the fact that they may change the system to allow kids to either go straight into the NBA from the draft, but if they go to college, they'd need to stay at least a couple years (very similar to baseball). Either way, I know there has been a lot of chatter about removing the one-year requirement that has so changed the college game.
I know Silver wants it gone, but I think he gave up on it right now and is using other bargaining chips for upcoming negotiations. I also think he's just pushing the D League more.

On the Duke end, the one and done era for K never actually resulted in an ACC championship which was kind of interesting. He won 4 from 2000-2010, but none from 2011-now they didn't win 1

I know Silver wants it gone, but I think he gave up on it right now and is using other bargaining chips for upcoming negotiations. I also think he's just pushing the D League more.

On the Duke end, the one and done era for K never actually resulted in an ACC championship which was kind of interesting. He won 4 from 2000-2010, but none from 2011-now they didn't win 1

That's crazy. Just checked....and all but 2013 (Miami) and 2020 (FSU) were won by either NC or Virginia.

They went with Scheyer? Wow, Duke is officially in trouble.

Stevens must not have wanted anything to do with that school. He decided to be a GM instead.

They went with Scheyer? Wow, Duke is officially in trouble.

Stevens must not have wanted anything to do with that school. He decided to be a GM instead.
Totally understand him being a candidate, but to announce already is crazy. I can only assume that K essentially named his successor. Did he threaten to reveal his own violations publicly if Duke chose not to hire? We may never know, but reckless speculation about Duke is always fun.

Totally understand him being a candidate, but to announce already is crazy. I can only assume that K essentially named his successor. Did he threaten to reveal his own violations publicly if Duke chose not to hire? We may never know, but reckless speculation about Duke is always fun.

K has been good to his guys. He has always worked to get them Head Jobs. Frankly besides Hurley (who himself hasn't done great) there hasn't really been anyone in the family who's won a ton. K also mentioned wanted to be honest and fair with recruiting. This allows for that.

K has been good to his guys. He has always worked to get them Head Jobs. Frankly besides Hurley (who himself hasn't done great) there hasn't really been anyone in the family who's won a ton. K also mentioned wanted to be honest and fair with recruiting. This allows for that.
Absolutely. You have to wonder how the others (Hurley, Collins, et al) feel about Duke picking Scheyer already. Even though, as you said, not that any of them are superstars at their respective schools right now and deserved the job.

Hypocrisy and hubris defined K's career.
The slobbering over him from ESPN in his final days as HC will fill Lake Erie.

Top Bottom