Midwest Sports Channel

just asking, but why would anyone miss it? i am old enough to remember it fully and the production value and total amount of coverage they provided doesn't even compare to what minnesota now gets with FSN-Minnesota

All the time - I am so tired of all generic information and question of which channel or who will be carrying the broadcast!

just asking, but why would anyone miss it? i am old enough to remember it fully and the production value and total amount of coverage they provided doesn't even compare to what minnesota now gets with FSN-Minnesota

Local production. Local interest. No pay for web stream although I suppose its possible they would have dabbled in the same. Dick Bremer and Jim Dutcher on Gopher basketball telecasts. Heck I even enjoyed the show where Mike Max, Sid, the fat man from Fulda and the fourth seat occupied by a rotation of Dark Star or some other minor league sports media guy sat in a dark room and ruminated over Minnesota sports. I don't watch anything on FSN save the Twins.

I suppose FSN is alright for the handful of hockey fans that don't have season tickets to the Wild or Gopher hockey but I'm sure MSC would've probably televised them as well. Otherwise, what's on FSN that floats your boat?

Heck I even enjoyed the show where Mike Max, Sid, the fat man from Fulda and the fourth seat occupied by a rotation of Dark Star or some other minor league sports media guy sat in a dark room and ruminated over Minnesota sports.

You can find that show on Sunday nights on channel 23

Local production. Local interest. No pay for web stream although I suppose its possible they would have dabbled in the same. Dick Bremer and Jim Dutcher on Gopher basketball telecasts. Heck I even enjoyed the show where Mike Max, Sid, the fat man from Fulda and the fourth seat occupied by a rotation of Dark Star or some other minor league sports media guy sat in a dark room and ruminated over Minnesota sports. I don't watch anything on FSN save the Twins.

I suppose FSN is alright for the handful of hockey fans that don't have season tickets to the Wild or Gopher hockey but I'm sure MSC would've probably televised them as well. Otherwise, what's on FSN that floats your boat?

fsn-minnesota (north) is based out of minneapolis and the over-whelming majority of their coverage is minnesota and minneapolis/st. paul focused. how is that really any different than what msc did back in the day?

Newmsclogo.png

No, I don't miss it. Our memories must be fading fast, but MSC years ago would bump the Gopher hoops game to tape-delay all the time because they carried the North Stars or Timberwolves. Sure, we have a couple of games on the internet this non-conference season, but let's not forget that MSC didn't televise all of the games. With the Big Ten Network/ESPN family/etc., almost all non-conference and all conference games are LIVE. My gosh, half of our schedule in some seasons would be tape-delayed or not broadcast at all when it was up to MSC. Nope, I don't miss those days at all.

I sure as heck don't miss it. 27 of the 30 Gophers' regular season games (all except TT, SFA & Brown) will be on live TV, either the BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or CBS.

Not to mention the Big Ten Tournament and (hopefully) NCAA, too. I have no complaints about that.

FSN is the Far Superior Network....although I do miss Jim Dutcher.

FSN has the Twins. Great.

Everything else is a total joke and embarrassment to any human with an IQ over 6.

'The Best Damn Sports Show Period.' Give me a break.

You can find that show on Sunday nights on channel 23

Thanks, I did like that show. My channel 23 is C-SPAN and I think many of us have different channel lineups. What are the call letters for your channel 23?

By the way, I also miss MSC. I like the fact that you could always go to that channel for the games, and they would ALL be televised. I really like Bremmer & Dutcher as broadcasters. Now we have to search all over and never know if we will be able to see them.

"Now we have to search all over and never know if we will be able to see them."

Respectfully, all it takes is to make a copy of the Gophers' schedule. It lists what network the games are on. For me, the search isn't that difficult. ...

Channel 4 (CBS)
Channel 25 (ESPN)
Channel 26 (ESPN2)
Channel 64 (BTN)
Channel 269 (ESPNU)

A click of the remote control.

The Gophers will play 13 games out of state this season. If I so choose I'll be able to watch every single one of 'em live. I don't see a problem.

FSN has a little more than just the Twins.
Wild
T-Wolves
Gopher hockey
College football
College basketball

By the way, I also miss MSC. I like the fact that you could always go to that channel for the games, and they would ALL be televised.

With all due respect, this is not true. MSC didn't televise all of the games back then. As far back as the late 1980s - all of these DIFFERENT stations carried Gophers games:

ESPN - some weeknight Big Ten games (Big Tuesday, Big Monday etc.)
ESPN2 - other weeknight games
ESPNU - some non-conference games
CBS - national/regional weekend TV games
WCCO-TV - Big Ten syndicated weekend games
Channel 45 - Big Ten syndicated weeknight/weekend games
MSC - SOME of the rest (not ALL of the rest and many tape-delayed)

And, now, it has only changed for the better. People miss the fact that we don't have to worry about MSC tape-delaying the broadcasts because of a Timberwolves or North Stars or Wild game. We get them LIVE.

I might add, as recently as 2006-07, there were five games that were NOT on TV at all, and another four that were tape-delayed. That's 33% of the schedule that was not on LIVE TV just four years ago.

Thanks, I did like that show. My channel 23 is C-SPAN and I think many of us have different channel lineups. What are the call letters for your channel 23?

it's on WUCW....the CW affiliate

I sure as heck don't miss it. 27 of the 30 Gophers' regular season games (all except TT, SFA & Brown) will be on live TV, either the BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or CBS.

Not to mention the Big Ten Tournament and (hopefully) NCAA, too. I have no complaints about that.

You do know that at one time we were the only school besides duke to have every game televised on TV?

That was before FSN bought MSC.

You do know that at one time we were the only school besides duke to have every game televised on TV?

That was before FSN bought MSC.

No we weren't. MSC never televised every game. They televised most games, but not all, and many were tape-delayed.

And, actually the first school to have their entire season televised was Iowa beginning in the late 1970s and early 1980s. They formed a statewide network way back then.

No we weren't. MSC never televised every game. They televised most games, but not all, and many were tape-delayed.

And, actually the first school to have their entire season televised was Iowa beginning in the late 1970s and early 1980s. They formed a statewide network way back then.

I never said MSC played every game, but every game got on TV.

No espn 360, BTN 2.99 online, ESPNU, or some other BS crap.

I liked MSC. I do appreciate getting at least 95% of the Twins, Gopher basketball and football, Vikings, and Timberwolves games on any given channel. I do think MSC had better quality on-air talent than FSN and BTN, this statement is based 99% on Jim Dutcher. I liked their coaches shows better too, remember the jingle at the beginning of the Clem show? I also remember the live reporting during the Mason hiring to be better quality than what we would get now with FSN or BTN. But bottom line, we get an unbelievable amount of free, live local sports programming included in our basic cable packaging when compared to the past and other markets.

Top Bottom