Mid season enrolles and their impact next year

Ole

Reaction score
Seems like a unique aspect to Kill and company's recruiting to get kids that will be around in Jan. Makes alot of sense though.
1)It gets kids signed up before signing day, limits last minute defections.
2)Get's them in the fold for offseason conditioning and integrated into the systems early in the spring. Kill's teams have won usually with great execution and playing smart football rather than having better players. This helps that.
3)Possibly allows for focus on finding/swaying other recruits in Jan-Feb rather than retaining already committed kids.

So we have who coming in?
JUCOs:
Gillum
Freucte
Balthazar
Boddy
Possibly a DT, they've targeted 3 already seems like a decided need

HS:
Nelson
Leidner
Hinjosa
Ballestros

Ekpe?
Nicholson?

Pretty cool we're getting all these kids in early.
Obviously the JUCOs are expected to play, Hinjosa probably too.
It's fun to watch this staff execute their plan.

I don't especially like early enrollment for high school kids (not in these specific cases, but as a general rule), but I agree that Kill has a blueprint. We'll see if it works, but I do like the fact that he has a vision of what he wants to do and then sets out implementing it instead of what appeared the be the willy-nilly approach of his predecessors.

Before anyone goes gaga over that last comment, I know that his predecessors had a plan and it wasn't as haphazard as it sometimes appeared, but Kill seems to have a better grasp of organizational skills.

I don't especially like early enrollment for high school kids (not in these specific cases, but as a general rule), but I agree that Kill has a blueprint. We'll see if it works, but I do like the fact that he has a vision of what he wants to do and then sets out implementing it instead of what appeared the be the willy-nilly approach of his predecessors.

Before anyone goes gaga over that last comment, I know that his predecessors had a plan and it wasn't as haphazard as it sometimes appeared, but Kill seems to have a better grasp of organizational skills.

I think what gets most people hyped 50 is that Coach Kill has a blueprint in place that has been successful at his other stops. And he has said many times he isn't changing. That is the main reason, along with staff retention, why I was one of the few who were pleased to see he was hired as our HC. Now he needs to get the right players in place.

Can't say that for Coach Brewster. Maturi had his head up some really dark place when he made that boo-boo.

I agree Bayfield. I just didn't want the fans of previous coaches to come in and call me a basher and hijack the thread into a debate over the relative worth of coaching staffs going back to the Tom Peebles era.

I think another advantage is that it allows them to practice at a faster pace by increasing the number of players that are available. One thing that always sticks out to me at the spring game is how few players there are since all the seniors are gone and they haven't yet been replaced by the freshmen. Having another 8-10 players on the field will allow them to be that much more ready for fall camp will pay huge dividends in the long run.

One thing Kill said that stuck out to me was that at Northern Illinois his team would run practices by themselves during the off-season when coaches weren't allowed to be present. I have no idea if most teams do this, but I think there is no question it would help with our execution next year if we get more guys plugged in and they are comfortable enough with what the coaches want where they could hold captains practices by themselves from May-July.

I like to see kids show up earlier to get acclimated to school and Kill’s system. It seems to me the staff has a little more time with these kids to evaluate strengths and weaknesses and project possible positions or changes. Unless we get a larger staff, this added time with coaches would only help prior to fall when everyone is here and very busy.

I think another advantage is that it allows them to practice at a faster pace by increasing the number of players that are available.

This is a huge part of it. Spring is more important this year then last. They now have a sense of who can play. I was at Central Michigan last year during the spring and due to graduation and injury they had 5 OL players. Tough to get a lot done with that depth.

Coming in early also gets them acclimated academically and building up credits that will help them maintain progress from year to year if they happen to stumble in a class (which most of us did at least once in college). Having that spring semester to be student-athletes as well as a head start on learning and practicing with the team is huge...

Coming in early also gets them acclimated academically and building up credits that will help them maintain progress from year to year if they happen to stumble in a class (which most of us did at least once in college). Having that spring semester to be student-athletes as well as a head start on learning and practicing with the team is huge...

I believe this is probably as important as the on-field acclimation. They can take some pre-reqs and build up a credit cushion.

Seems like a unique aspect to Kill and company's recruiting to get kids that will be around in Jan. Makes alot of sense though.
1)It gets kids signed up before signing day, limits last minute defections.
2)Get's them in the fold for offseason conditioning and integrated into the systems early in the spring. Kill's teams have won usually with great execution and playing smart football rather than having better players. This helps that.
3)Possibly allows for focus on finding/swaying other recruits in Jan-Feb rather than retaining already committed kids.

So we have who coming in?
JUCOs:
Gillum
Freucte
Balthazar
Boddy
Possibly a DT, they've targeted 3 already seems like a decided need

HS:
Nelson
Leidner
Hinjosa
Ballestros

Ekpe?
Nicholson?

Pretty cool we're getting all these kids in early.
Obviously the JUCOs are expected to play, Hinjosa probably too.
It's fun to watch this staff execute their plan.

Not to be picky, but we pulled his scholly. Also, has anyone heard about Hayes or Pirsig being an early enrollment?

Top Bottom