Microscope of Practice

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Is anyone else bothered by the microscope of spring practice and the news that is coming out of them. The media is breaking down passing stats and interception stats from the first full pad practice of spring. These are not games and many times are not 11v11 drills. They even go far enough to say that Stoudermire has returned INT's for TD's. Really? was this 11v11 drill? Was there players and coaches standing all over the backfield? Today I read that Gray missed a bunch of makeable passes in 9v9 drills. Why does the media have to treat these practices like a game? Most of the time the defense knows that the offense is passing or running. Can someone get me the boxscore from yesterday? ;)

I'm just glad there's some coverage. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it sure seems like this year's spring practice is getting much more attention from the local media than previous years.

Yeah, I think some of it has been a little over the top, but I also think a lot of the attention is due to the sudden access to practice that didn't exist under Brewster. Personally, I like getting the updates on practice and finding out who looks good this early into a new coaching regime. I also think that the additional coverage the Gophers have been getting as a result of open practices will pay off in building more support for the program.

Funny, just 2-3 years ago everyone on here was complaining about a lack of info coming out of spring ball. Kill has open practices, so for the first time, reporters are seeing what's happening and can report on it.

This is a good thing. Build interest, build obsession, whatever works...

What I like about it is that the local media feels that there is enough interest to warrant that kind of reporting. But some may not take all of the info with a grain of salt. People shouldn't get too upset when one day a former starter is on the 3rd string and a walk-on is getting 1st team reps or Gray has a bad day. It isn't necessarily indicitive of how the season is going to go. It's a long way until we kickoff against U$C and we'll see where everyone is at when it all shakes out.

Not at all. This is great. If you think this is anywhere near bad you should check out spring practice reports from SEC teams or other places that actually care about their teams. Too much info is way better than none at all to the common fan like myself

What I like about it is that the local media feels that there is enough interest to warrant that kind of reporting. But some may not take all of the info with a grain of salt. People shouldn't get too upset when one day a former starter is on the 3rd string and a walk-on is getting 1st team reps or Gray has a bad day. It isn't necessarily indicitive of how the season is going to go. It's a long way until we kickoff against U$C and we'll see where everyone is at when it all shakes out.

"Stupid is as stupid does" -- Forrest Gump

I love the coverage, but fear there wouldn't be nearly as much if NFL free agency was in full swing.

I love the coverage, but fear there wouldn't be nearly as much if NFL free agency was in full swing.

Don't get me wrong I love the coverage and access. I've read every article. Just the stat keeping is bothersome.

doncorleone has a good point though.

Apparently people will always find something to complain about.

I think it is great, and if they mention we have issues, that is fine because it is true. Gray has a lot of work to do on his passing, and it is obvious. Not writing about it only sets him up to disappoint people if he struggles early, which is likely at least in the passing game. There are a lot of other issues, but the point is the practices are fun to watch and they are interesting, and the press is not getting BS answers to questions. I have seen nothing very negative or unfair at all. Relax!

Stat?

Don't get me wrong I love the coverage and access. I've read every article. Just the stat keeping is bothersome.

doncorleone has a good point though.

What are you talking about? There was no stats box in the paper or anywhere else this morning. What do you expect the reporters to talk about?

I am not sure what your point is but if you are worried about people jumping to conclusions, I think any knowledgeable fan realizes that this is spring practice and one should take it for what it’s worth, i.e. spring practice. I for one really appreciate their reporting.

I would like to add my voice in support of the increased coverage. I don't think people are so simple minded as to assume what happens in a practice will automatically translate to the same type of results in a game. They're just trying to give us an impression of what's going on.

Not at all. This is great. If you think this is anywhere near bad you should check out spring practice reports from SEC teams or other places that actually care about their teams. Too much info is way better than none at all to the common fan like myself

This is not a lot of coverage compared to big time programs. If it wasn't for this site and Facebook no one would know what the heck was going on with the Gophers. Most SEC teams have magazines, multiple websites and newsletters dedicated to just football year round and their spring games sell out.

All this attention the football program receives will only help later down the road.

This is not a lot of coverage compared to big time programs. If it wasn't for this site and Facebook no one would know what the heck was going on with the Gophers. Most SEC teams have magazines, multiple websites and newsletters dedicated to just football year round and their spring games sell out.

All this attention the football program receives will only help later down the road.

Agreed - but it is a lot more than in recent years, wouldn't you agree?

I think the coverage is fantastic. The open practices is great PR for the Gophers. I like that he's focusing on solid fundamentals of football rather than planning tricks in secret.

JM/Kill's AD FB Revenue Formula...

Spring Media Microscope => August Camp Microscope => High Fan Enthusiasm => Pump TCFB$$

Top Bottom