"MICHIGAN STATE COMMIT CAN’T SIGN BECAUSE HE IS IN JAIL" - The Comeback

Iceland12

Reaction score
Their caps, not mine.

Michigan State has one fewer signee in its 2017 football recruiting class than it thought it would going into today. Nobody decommited, but Donovan Winter, a three-star defensive end, couldn’t sign with the school today because he was in jail.

Winter was arrested Monday night and charged with burglary and larceny of a firearm. He was still in jail the morning of signing day, according to the Orlando Sentinel, and the paper reported that he is no longer a student at Bishop Moore High School. Nobody in the media knew Winter wouldn’t be signing until the morning of signing day, either. Bishop Moore’s coach simply told the Sentinel this morning, “No, he’s not signing. Long story.”

Given that Winter is no longer in high school, his future with the Spartans, and in college football, is (at best) up in the air.

Donovan is a considerable loss for the Michigan State program on the field. Despite being just a three-star recruit, he had an impressive offer list that included Michigan and Tennessee. Ironically, in a year when in-state rival has dominated recruiting, the Detroit News said that MSU is “counting character more than stars.” Oops.

http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/michigan-state-commit-jail.html

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...haracter-more-than-stars-recruiting/97214294/

I suspect the offer isn't there anymore ;)

Yeah....what a moron. 2 days before signing on for a free education and all the other perks of being a D1 athlete he gets busted. It is kind of like the guys who get high at the combine when they know they are going to be drug tested. I am sure Michigan State is breathing a huge sigh of relief that this happened before he signed because even though they won't like being linked to him it is way better then already having him as part of the program when he gets caught.

Apparently you can't use your one phone call on a fax.

A future FAU recruit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DE Donovan Winter in jail, not signing with Michigan State today - USA Today

Includes a picture of the young man.

Spartans verbal commit Donovan Winter was in Seminole County jail instead of at Orlando Bishop Moore Catholic's National Signing Day news conference today, according to the Orlando Sentinel. He's charged with burglary and larceny of a firearm after being arrested Monday night.

The Sentinel asked Bishop Moore coach Matt Hedrick whether the three-star defensive end would sign at all today, and he responded: "No, he's not signing. Long story."

The Sentinel later learned that Winter (6-feet-4, 235 pounds) no longer is enrolled at Bishop Moore. The school said it wasn't allowed to comment on why the senior was missing....

"I think that's last year's news," Dantonio said. "But I think that these situations happen. I think people continue to recruit individuals for whatever reason they haven't signed, for whatever reason. And there are a lot of football players out there.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ovan-winter-michigan-state-football/97336152/

Top Bottom