Michigan St President to Meet With Big Ten Over Replays

parkinglotgopher

Gentleman and Scholar
Reaction score
This is really happening...

Michigan State President Lou Anna Simon told News Ten Wednesday night she wants answers from the Big Ten over how the football replay system works. Simon, like other MSU fans, was chagrined over a play overturned late in Saturday night's game at Minnesota which stripped the Spartans of a fumble recovery which would have given State the ball at the Minnesota 41-yard line. Instead the Gophers threw a touchdown pass on the next play and won 42-34. MSU plans a meeting with the Big Ten Friday over the issues and Simon says she will attend.

She should ask about the 17 penalties for 140+ yards against Minnesota while she is at it. Calling a Big Ten record for penalties on Minnesota was probably just a cover up that they had it in for Michigan State the whole game.

The University of Miami President should meet with officials over the bogus pass interference flag that got thrown 5 minutes after the game was over in the 2002 National Championship game.

The game is over, MSU should get over it and move on to next week, The Gophers have gotten screwed a lot worse a lot more often than that. And that Miami Hurricane penalty was the worst call I have ever witnessed. Teams get screwed all the time

For real? You got call after call during the game and your going to complain about a call like that. Maybe they should of defended the pass play better and then we wouldn't of scored. or the other 5 touchdowns. Look to the players and the coach's first.

The whole "indisputable evidence" is what I'll never understand. There was nothing there that would have lead me to overturn the call on the field. Same goes for that TD that the Gophers got hosed on at PSU.

This is funny. They think that they got hosed? What a freaking joke. I guess people in Michigan got nothing better to do since the auto industry bombed. Plus, do you really expect the Big Ten refs to respect a woman arguing football?

She might ask how a player can "taunt" another and incur a 15 yard penalty while never even looking at the supposed tauntee.

If u feel 1 play may have cost you the game then your team needs to do better.......

The whole "indisputable evidence" is what I'll never understand. There was nothing there that would have lead me to overturn the call on the field. Same goes for that TD that the Gophers got hosed on at PSU.

+1. This year there have been numerous calls overturned in the Big 10 that I wouldn't think were close to indisputable evidence. Can anyone confirm that the burden for overturning a call in college is indeed indisputable evidence?

Closed circuit for Frod0- Its the 21st century. Grow up.

Wow - what a joke. I can't believe the president of a major public university has time for this. If any team should be bitching to the Big Ten, its Indiana. They got jobbed like none other in their game vs. Iowa last week.

+1. This year there have been numerous calls overturned in the Big 10 that I wouldn't think were close to indisputable evidence. Can anyone confirm that the burden for overturning a call in college is indeed indisputable evidence?

Not that I don't mind after last week, but the common thread seems to be that "indisputable evidence" means "the team that is playing at home," ie Northwestern, Penn State, Minnesota...at least most of the time...

Wow - what a joke. I can't believe the president of a major public university has time for this. If any team should be bitching to the Big Ten, its Indiana. They got jobbed like none other in their game vs. Iowa last week.

You beat me to it. I, for one, can think of no better use of time for the president of my university than to haggle with the NCAA. What a f*cking joke.

"Indisputable Evidence" is an NFL term. I don't think it applies in NCAA football. I think in the NCAA they look at close plays and make a ruling with no special deference to the original call.

"Indisputable Evidence" is an NFL term. I don't think it applies in NCAA football. I think in the NCAA they look at close plays and make a ruling with no special deference to the original call.

That's been my impression as well. I just think they make the call in the booth with no deference to what the ref called on the field.

As close (and as bad) as some of the calls for both sides were on Saturday night, I still think the TD pass to the Penn State WR in our game with them that was changed by the booth is the worst call I've seen this season. No way was that a TD.

For clarity's sake, she's haggling with the Big 10, not the NCAA.

But point taken. In this instance, considering how crappy MSU played and yet still almost won the game, Sparty's best move would be to turn the page and concentrate on getting bowl eligible in the next couple weeks. As others have said, Indiana's the program that should be livid this week. That was highway robbery.

I'm pretty sure it is the standard in NCAA as well. Here is the Wikipedia entry on NCAA instant replay. Below is a part of that entry...I've bolded the most applicable part. (It's Wikipedia so take it all with a grain of salt):
When replay is used, a Replay Official (usually a former college, NFL or XFL game official) reviews every play at its conclusion from a secure booth in the press box. Most plays are routine and the game continues without interruption. If, however, the following criteria are met, the Replay Official may interrupt the contest by paging the game officials to stop the game before the next play starts. The criteria are:

* There is reasonable evidence to believe an error was made in the initial on-field ruling.
* The play is reviewable.
* Any reversal of the on-field ruling, which can only result from indisputable video evidence, would have a direct, competitive impact on the game.

I'm pretty sure it is the standard in NCAA as well. Here is the Wikipedia entry on NCAA instant replay. Below is a part of that entry...I've bolded the most applicable part. (It's Wikipedia so take it all with a grain of salt):

Yep and it surprised me too. Here's the NCAA Rulebook note:

SECTION 7. Reversing an On-Field Ruling
Criterion for Reversal
ARTICLE 1. To reverse an on-field ruling, the replay official must be
convinced beyond all doubt by indisputable video evidence
through one or
more video replays provided to the monitor.

From The Big Ten website.

"The goal of the Big Ten's football television replay plan? To:
See-----Review-----Change (if warranted).

Only specific plays are reviewable (see elsewhere in this publication), and only those plays where the absolute standard of indisputable video evidence is met can a play be overturned.

The Big Ten Conference replay system will allow for specific types of officiating mistakes to be immediately reviewed and corrected once the standard of indisputable video evidence is met."

How they have overturned some calls is totally beyond me.

How they have overturned some calls is totally beyond me."

Ain't THAT the truth! You're speaking for millions!:drink:

I wouldn't have overturned that call, the official was probably going by the fact that he barely even got two feet down before getting it popped out. Is that even the rule though (two feet)? Or is it a "football move"? Because you could easily say Tow-Arnett never made a football move there, but he did get two feet down before that ball came out.

She might ask how a player can "taunt" another and incur a 15 yard penalty while never even looking at the supposed tauntee.

He posed with the ball and was called for drawing attention to himself. Taunting was not called.

The University of Miami President should meet with officials over the bogus pass interference flag that got thrown 5 minutes after the game was over in the 2002 National Championship game.

The game is over, MSU should get over it and move on to next week, The Gophers have gotten screwed a lot worse a lot more often than that. And that Miami Hurricane penalty was the worst call I have ever witnessed. Teams get screwed all the time

So true, the officials gift wrapped that one and handed it to the Buckeyes. 'Canes were robbed.

I wouldn't have overturned that call, the official was probably going by the fact that he barely even got two feet down before getting it popped out. Is that even the rule though (two feet)? Or is it a "football move"? Because you could easily say Tow-Arnett never made a football move there, but he did get two feet down before that ball came out.

I don't think the ball was completely tucked away by Tow-Arnett, but I believe it was a catch. He caught the ball with one foot down and made a move. The official probably figured the ball was never pulled into his chest so it was moving throughout. I haven't seen the play since the replay at the stadium, however.

With putdowns by the SEC, B12 etc, BT hq is hungry...maybe desperate...for a shot at the NC.

So if the Hawks are 11-0 before gametime on Nov 21, look for the Gs to get an Indiana bagging. Highly doubtful that Minny will get any close calls that would jeopardize a 12-0 Hawk season. A G victory at K would have to be decisive imho.

He was called for taunting, that's what the ref said when he announced the penalty. I suppose he could have been called for excessive celebration, but that's still a weak call.

In the Indiana-Michigan game, when Indiana was on offense, the refs ruled an interception when it was clearly simultaneous posession.

Top Bottom