Mic'd Up: Femi Odukale (video)

He’s traveling.
That is a skill requirement for the NBA and College Basketball...
If you can't travel, you can't play.
First you must learn the Euro-step.
Then you must learn the Arctic-step.

Last edited:

Odukale & Asuma my odds on favorites to be Gophers’ most impactful newcomers by season’s end.
Okay, I'll throw Caleb Williams and Tyler Cochran into the mixing pot....oh geez..probably not a good word to use...how about the bowl...eh not so good either for college kids with money. Okay, I'll enter Tyler and Caleb into the impactful newcomers competition. :)

Okay, I'll throw Caleb Williams and Tyler Cochran into the mixing pot....oh geez..probably not a good word to use...how about the bowl...eh not so good either for college kids with money. Okay, I'll enter Tyler and Caleb into the impactful newcomers competition. :)
Nice ! Your living up to your moniker.

different discussion - but most impactful newcomer - had better be Frank Mitchell. Gophers need a PF to fill in for Payne with scoring, rebounding and interior defense. If F. Mitchell is not filling that hole, the Gophers are in trouble.

Gophers have more options at guard and wing. but down low, it's Frank Mitchell and Edmonds. Fox and Garcia are not bangers - they play a different style. Frank Mitchell and Edmonds have to replace what the Gophers lost in Payne, and it certainly appears that Frank Mitchell is the #1 candidate.

Odukale & Asuma my odds on favorites to be Gophers’ most impactful newcomers by season’s end.
I don't disagree, but man, it is going to be challenging to work with playing time. There are definitely 11-12 guys that are going to believe they are ready to see the court for 20+ minutes.
The best of that is competition in practice will make them all better. The tough part is managing team unity and keeping guys engaged when they aren't getting theirs. I think that the old saying- "you are who you can defend"- will play a big part in spreading playing time game to game as coach deals with matchups. Facing a 7' tall center- see a little more of Edmunds. Playing a team with a 6-6 to 6-8 scoring wing- Odukale or Betts. Need to defend a quicker PG- Asuma. Get physical with an opposing guard- Cochran.

different discussion - but most impactful newcomer - had better be Frank Mitchell. Gophers need a PF to fill in for Payne with scoring, rebounding and interior defense. If F. Mitchell is not filling that hole, the Gophers are in trouble.

Gophers have more options at guard and wing. but down low, it's Frank Mitchell and Edmonds. Fox and Garcia are not bangers - they play a different style. Frank Mitchell and Edmonds have to replace what the Gophers lost in Payne, and it certainly appears that Frank Mitchell is the #1 candidate.
Surprisngly, Payne, for one reason or another, only averaged a couple more minutes per game than Carrington. Mitchell appears to be a little better shooter away from the basket. At the rim, they are close to even. Fouls about as much as Pharrel. Seen almost a total of 4 games of minutes more than Payne. Not going to have the blocks Payne had. Even worse free throw shooter than Payne. Appears that he will rebound better than Payne. Just a touch shorter and lighter. Looking forward to seeing Mitchell, Cochran, Patterson and Odukale. Think these 4 probably have the best chance to see the most floor time of the transfers if they stay healthy. Throw Garcia, the other Mitchell, Fox (hopefully even more recovered), Rigsby, Asuma, Edmonds, Betts and Williams in there and we will see if they get Ben another year.

Last edited:

I don't disagree, but man, it is going to be challenging to work with playing time. There are definitely 11-12 guys that are going to believe they are ready to see the court for 20+ minutes.
The best of that is competition in practice will make them all better. The tough part is managing team unity and keeping guys engaged when they aren't getting theirs. I think that the old saying- "you are who you can defend"- will play a big part in spreading playing time game to game as coach deals with matchups. Facing a 7' tall center- see a little more of Edmunds. Playing a team with a 6-6 to 6-8 scoring wing- Odukale or Betts. Need to defend a quicker PG- Asuma. Get physical with an opposing guard- Cochran.
Nice thing for Ben is that he has nothing to lose so he can just play the guys that deserve it and if some egos get bruised along the way so be it. Most of the roster is done after this season anyway and if the team doesn't win, Ben is likely done as well.

Nice thing for Ben is that he has nothing to lose so he can just play the guys that deserve it and if some egos get bruised along the way so be it. Most of the roster is done after this season anyway and if the team doesn't win, Ben is likely done as well.
So Ben has nothing to lose except his job.
What?

Rigsby - added Apr. 24 (6'3")
Williams - added May 1 (6'2")
Patterson - added May 10 (6'2")
Cochran - added Jul. 1 (6'2")

(I'm not including Odukale, Mitchell, and Edmonds in this because I don't think their PT will be dependent on the guys above)

I feel like Rigsby is most likely to have his ego bruised. When he committed, he had an open path to the court. Then Patterson comes in, and all of the sudden his backcourt minutes take a significant hit. Then Cochran is added more than 2 months later, and oh man, the minutes have become much harder to come by.

This, of course, is assuming those guys are the main backcourt options, along with Asuma. I'm expecting Betts to be a serviceable backup to Odukale at the 3. If not, Cochran probably eats some minutes there, which gets Rigsby on the court a little more.

Top Bottom