Miami game wasn't that bad

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
I went and watched the Gophers game last night on the DVR. Knowing they had lost, I viewed things a little differently. I was expecting a lot worse. Yes, the rebounding was about as bad as I have ever seen. That was embarrassing. However, Blake got hot and the whole team played great defense for most of the game. The offense looked scattered, but not the whole time like I expected. They simply need to get out and run as much as possible.
Oh by the way, ESPNU should be ashamed it allowed one of its employees say that Miami was a "great" university with excellent academic standards. Two words: Devin Hester.

the sunny side of the street

The good news is the defense has held folks down. Only Butler has surpassed 70 points (71).

We lost giving up 61 to Portland, 66 to TAM and 63 to Miami. Admittedly they scored a bunch in the last 2 minutes.

Anyway, just searching for a silver lining... we didnt get blown out.

The good news is the defense has held folks down. Only Butler has surpassed 70 points (71).

We lost giving up 61 to Portland, 66 to TAM and 63 to Miami. Admittedly they scored a bunch in the last 2 minutes.

Anyway, just searching for a silver lining... we didnt get blown out.

Exactly.

Oh by the way, ESPNU should be ashamed it allowed one of its employees say that Miami was a "great" university with excellent academic standards. Two words: Devin Hester.

That's good to hear that it didn't look as bad the second time around but I hope you are not serious questioning Miami's academic standards by bringing up one former athlete. ESPN U should be ashamed? Miami is a very good academic institution ranking 50th in U.S. News national rankings ahead of schools such as George Washington, Maryland, oh and Minnesota (rank 62nd) and also has a very low acceptance rate. Sorry for the small rant but come on biggopherfan don't say they should be ashamed, they are a very quality university and we did have shane schilling...

That's good to hear that it didn't look as bad the second time around but I hope you are not serious questioning Miami's academic standards by bringing up one former athlete. ESPN U should be ashamed? Miami is a very good academic institution ranking 50th in U.S. News national rankings ahead of schools such as George Washington, Maryland, oh and Minnesota (rank 62nd) and also has a very low acceptance rate. Sorry for the small rant but come on biggopherfan don't say they should be ashamed, they are a very quality university and we did have shane schilling...

Miami is notorious for being a very easy school to get into with lax academic standards. I don't care what any study says. But that's not the point of this thread. Moving on...

I don't think the Miami game was as bad as people make it. First, we were on the road. And, we controlled the game from the 12-minute mark of the first half to well into the second half. But, they had a couple of guards get hot and drill some 3-pointers and all of the sudden they're leading. It was back-and-forth for the final ten minutes with the scored tied at the 2:30 mark and we had the ball. It got away from us at the end, but we were not dominated. Nolen played well, our defense did well, and our rebounding got much better in the 2nd half. In fact, after getting mauled on the boards in the first half, we out-rebounded them in the 2nd half 25-15. We just folded late for whatever reason. Miami is a good team (not great). They will likely get a win or two at home against a really good ACC team, too.

Miami is notorious for being a very easy school to get into with lax academic standards. I don't care what any study says. But that's not the point of this thread. Moving on...

Depends on what you're talking about. For the general student population, Miami is fairly selective. Almost half of their students graduated in the top 5% of their high school class. Almost all incoming freshmen have had to take honors programs or advanced placement classes in high school. The school accepts just under 4 out of every 10 kids who apply. Basically, if you hold a degree from Miami U., you are doing pretty good for yourself. It is a well regarded institution to the real world. Maybe not as much in the athletic world, which is probably where you're coming from. But, the ESPN guy was right on in talking about the school being well respected academically.

I went and watched the Gophers game last night on the DVR. Knowing they had lost, I viewed things a little differently. I was expecting a lot worse. Yes, the rebounding was about as bad as I have ever seen. That was embarrassing. However, Blake got hot and the whole team played great defense for most of the game. The offense looked scattered, but not the whole time like I expected. They simply need to get out and run as much as possible.
By itself, the Miami game wasn't that bad, but following two previous loses that weren't that bad, it's pretty bad.

Three games in four days in California, fly home (I assume) for one night ( I assume) and fly to Miami all while the U guys slept in their own beds with home court advantage. I thought our rebounding ills and free throw shooting misses were a sign of tired legs. They should have racked-up some serious frequent-flyer miles.

Mikie S, I totally agree.

also, it would have been nice to contribute to the B10 taking the Challenge. instead of us winning a winnable road game to give the B10 the edge, we now have to tolerate Badgers spewing about how they beat Duke at home (deservedly). impressive, but GROSS.

Miami is a BAD team. No way we should have lost to them.

We were outrebounded 10 - 1 offensively in the first half. With the number of times we turned Miami over, and if we could have balanced out or outrebounded them in the first half, we should have been up by twenty or at least have had a commanding lead, rather than just up by five. For whatever reason this is one that got away from us. Hopefully, one of the benefits of playing a tougher schedule is that the guys will know what needs to be done once we get in conference play. If we don't destroy our next few opponents I'll be concerned for the rest of the year.

Miami is a BAD team. No way we should have lost to them.

Miami hasn't lost a game yet so they can't be that BAD. And they have some decent players. Durand Scott is one of the most exciting freshmen in the ACC and Dwayne Collins tested the NBA waters last year. We don't have anybody that could match his bulk and it showed with Collins grabbing 11 boards, five offensive.

Spencer Tollackson and Dan Coleman also tested NBA waters as juniors. I maybe shouldn't say they are a bad team but going into the season I thought we had the talent to crush teams like that.

Top Bottom