Meyer Seeing Red about 15 Yard Penalty

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eyes-coach-unhappy-15-yard-penalty-called-him

"I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, and if not, I don't care -- it should not have been a penalty, per [Big Ten coordinator of officials] Bill Carollo," Meyer said during his Monday news conference. "He barely grazed my headset. Even [wife] Shelley said, 'Did you get hit in the face?' I said, 'What are you talking about?' Oh, that.

"It was my fault, but it should not have been a penalty. We just have to do a better job. That broke my heart. To put your players 15 yards back? 15-yard penalty for that, in a big game."

"I'm not being critical, but 15 yards for that?"

I'm not being critical... but I am!

It shouldn't have been a penalty. The ref was a good 3 yards into the out of bounds area. I can see if your in bounds, no problem. But deep into their bench?

It shouldn't have been a penalty. The ref was a good 3 yards into the out of bounds area. I can see if your in bounds, no problem. But deep into their bench?

I agree it should not have been a penalty. The play was over, so the coach can be on the white and he didn't interfere with the ability to officiate the play. The ref had both feet on the white which is only 2 yards wide, so you're exaggerating a bit.

Something tells me the ref was dying to give Urban a penalty for something, anything he could. Maybe Urban got in his ear a few too many times in the past.

Still a dumb penalty/rule if that's the case.

Something tells me the ref was dying to give Urban a penalty for something, anything he could. Maybe Urban got in his ear a few too many times in the past.

Still a dumb penalty/rule if that's the case.

The refs did stop the game and gave him a warning earlier, so I am guessing he was getting under their skin

The refs did stop the game and gave him a warning earlier, so I am guessing he was getting under their skin

The rule is intended to keep officials and coaches safe. It hasn't anything to do with arguing calls. No players or coaches are suppose to be in the white area during a play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rule is intended to keep officials and coaches safe. It hasn't anything to do with arguing calls. No players or coaches are suppose to be in the white area during a play.

I think what we are trying to say is refs can let something like that go or choose to enforce the rule. He chose to enforce the rule. Many would have let it go.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Why would Carollo say it wasn't a penalty when it is clear cut per the rule book? I'm actually astonished someone in that position would say something like that. Then again, this is the same Carollo that first said the Leidner targeting reversal was legit, then wasn't a year later. He's incompetent.

This statement by Carollo (per Urban) is a clear example that rules are made to be bent and broken in football. Officials will call it tight or call it loose based on factors that may not even be apparent to them. Maybe a certain player or coach lips off more than others. Maybe there is something personal going on. Maybe the official has latent bias towards certain teams or alma maters. Maybe their wife cheated on them last night. Maybe someone cut him off on the way to the stadium. Maybe the official has a bet riding on the outcome. Maybe the Big Ten office told them to go easy on a certain team.

Why would Carollo say it wasn't a penalty when it is clear cut per the rule book? I'm actually astonished someone in that position would say something like that. Then again, this is the same Carollo that first said the Leidner targeting reversal was legit, then wasn't a year later. He's incompetent.

This statement by Carollo (per Urban) is a clear example that rules are made to be bent and broken in football. Officials will call it tight or call it loose based on factors that may not even be apparent to them. Maybe a certain player or coach lips off more than others. Maybe there is something personal going on. Maybe the official has latent bias towards certain teams or alma maters. Maybe their wife cheated on them last night. Maybe someone cut him off on the way to the stadium. Maybe the official has a bet riding on the outcome. Maybe the Big Ten office told them to go easy on a certain team.

Yeah I found that statement a bit funky too. I doubt it becomes a thing, but a little worrisome.

Meyer is legally allowed into the white after the play. The play ended and a ref winding the clock hits him inadvertently. No foul should have been called.

Bumping into the coach while trying to watch a play or running down the sideline is different.

If all rules were called by the book, no one would watch football anymore.

Meyer is legally allowed into the white after the play. The play ended and a ref winding the clock hits him inadvertently. No foul should have been called.

Bumping into the coach while trying to watch a play or running down the sideline is different.

Or hockey, or basketball...

What? He was clearly on the white during the play and the ref clocked him a fraction of a second after the whistle blew. Urban would have had to literally teleport instantaneously into that position to claim he wasn't in violation.

Or hockey, or basketball...

I disagree with that. Every week we see absurdly ticky-tack penalties while egregious penalties go uncalled. There is something amiss. Some of the penalties are tough to see but if in doubt let it go. Others are obvious. if Still is tackled before the ball arrives, thats PI. If Coughlin is dragged down by his houlder pads and tackled to seal the edge for the opposing running back thats holding. Call the obvious/egregious. That isn't happening consistently and everyone can see it. It hurts the game.

What? He was clearly on the white during the play and the ref clocked him a fraction of a second after the whistle blew. Urban would have had to literally teleport instantaneously into that position to claim he wasn't in violation.

He said he was behind the play and told that's a good spot to be. Ref has to balance inadvertent with 15 yard penalty.

He said he was behind the play and told that's a good spot to be. Ref has to balance inadvertent with 15 yard penalty.

So is it consistent with the rule, or not? Can an official (presumedly not the one that threw the flag) tell Urban it's ok to break a rule? What if he tells him it's ok to tackle the defensive ends on pass plays? Cool with that?

PENALTY—Administer as a dead-ball foul. First infraction: Warning for sideline interference. No yardage penalty. [S15]
Second and third infractions: Delay of game for sideline interference, five yards from the succeeding spot. [S21 and S29]
Fourth and subsequent infractions: Team unsportsmanlike conduct for sideline interference, 15 yards from the succeeding spot. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules. [S27 and S29]

So unless it was the fourth time it happened, it should not have been 15 yards.

Here is the rule. Physical interaction with the official, not just being on the white. Both occurred. Did the official know it was incidental? We can argue about it all night (well, not literally) but by the letter of the law it's a penalty. In contrast, the flagrant foul call with ejection on Jaylen Waters was 100% made up and I'm pretty sure you were all for that. Right?

Contacting an Official
ARTICLE 4. Persons subject to the rules (Rule 1-1-6) shall not intentionally
contact a game official forcibly during the game.
PENALTY—Administer as a dead-ball foul. 15 yards from the succeeding
spot. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict
with other rules. Automatic disqualification [S7, S27 and S47].
Game Administration and Sideline Interference

ARTICLE 5. While the ball is alive and during the continuing action after the
ball has been declared dead:
(a) coaches, substitutes and authorized attendants in the team area may
not be between the sideline and coaching line or on the field of play.
PENALTY—Administer as a dead-ball foul. First infraction: Warning for
sideline interference. No yardage penalty. [S15]
Second and third infractions: Delay of game for sideline
interference, five yards from the succeeding spot. [S21 and S29]
Fourth and subsequent infractions: Team unsportsmanlike
conduct for sideline interference, 15 yards from the succeeding
spot. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict
with other rules. [S27 and S29]

(b) physical interference with an official is a foul charged to the team for
unsportsmanlike conduct. (A.R. 9-2-5-I)
PENALTY—Administer as a dead-ball foul. Team unsportsmanlike conduct.
15 yards from the succeeding spot. Automatic first down for
fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules.

NCAA rulebook
http://www.americanfootball.ru/Sport/Rule/2015_football_rules.pdf

Waters ejection was made up? Rules support ejection. Waters put himself in that spot. Maryland player got same call the next week.

It will be interesting to see if anyone follows up with Big Ten on Meyer's comments. Technically the right call, but I've seen worse go uncalled. The beauty of judgement calls.

Yes, made up. Look at the rule. Flagrant means malicious with intent to injure. Not just a late hit. Judgement call I guess.

I think we can agree Carollo has Ohio State's jock for some reason. Supporting the Leidner targeting reversal, another clear cut penalty, and now this. He needs to step down. The officiating crews are an unaccountable mess. I want some butts.

What Urban wants, Urban gets.
He is setting the scene for the next time he is in violation to inhibit the official from making the call.
It was a very stressful first half for him worrying that his dreams of another national championship were fading.
Losing makes him physically ill. The stress caused him to have "The broken Heart Syndrome".
That is why he quit coaching.

He is setting the scene for the next time he is in violation to inhibit the official from making the call.
It was a very stressful first half for him worrying that his dreams of another national championship were fading.
Losing makes him physically ill. The stress caused him to have "The broken Heart Syndrome".

Thank-you Doctor Phil....

I'll bet you're really pissed that your squad let a winnable home game run down their leg.

I suspect that if MN had lost by a TD in an away game to this years MI team and took the #2 team in the country to overtime that there would be dancing in the streets.
OSU had more good players and an excellent coach that made appropriate adjustments at half time and that is how they won.
It may be the next ice age before the Gophers have 80,000+ very loud and enthusiastic fans, cheering for their team against #2 in a night game on ABC.
Badgers fans were proud of their team and there is very little remorse.

I suspect that if MN had lost by a TD in an away game to this years MI team and took the #2 team in the country to overtime that there would be dancing in the streets.

Minnesota lost by 6 to the #2 team in the country, lost by 3 to the #15 team in the country, and lost on the road by 5 to the #8 team in the country. No one was "dancing in the streets." They were all losses, just like both of those games for your beloved Badgers.

It may be the next ice age before the Gophers have 80,000+ very loud and enthusiastic fans, cheering for their team against #2 in a night game on ABC.

So you're here to taunt and offer nothing else? I'm shocked!!! Mods, remind me again why this ****ing asshole is allowed to post here?

Badgers fans were proud of their team and there is very little remorse.

Yeah, I'll bet you were. I bet all of you Becky lovers were just titillated to come away with two losses.

Minnesota lost by 6 to the #2 team in the country, lost by 3 to the #15 team in the country, and lost on the road by 5 to the #8 team in the country. No one was "dancing in the streets." They were all losses, just like both of those games for your beloved Badgers.

So you're here to taunt and offer nothing else? I'm shocked!!! Mods, remind me again why this ****ing asshole is allowed to post here?

Yeah, I'll bet you were. I bet all of you Becky lovers were just titillated to come away with two losses.

Why do you have so much hate in you?

Top Bottom