Meyer hires Doyle as Strength Coach

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Will be interesting as to how this plays out.

This the guy who seemed to push guys so hard they got hurt / was accused of racist-ish behavior?

IIRC Urban made some recommendations to schools to hire some ... less than great guys too.

shouldn't they list the 13 players he put in the hospital back in 2011 on his list of accomplishments? Or the reasons for his recent dismissal?

This looks bad on Urban....

It will be interesting because the power dynamic is flipped. At the pro level, it's hard to fire the players and easy to fire the coach. It's one thing bossing around 18-21-year-old kids. It's something else entirely to boss around guys who are making a boatload more money than you are.

It will be interesting because the power dynamic is flipped. At the pro level, it's hard to fire the players and easy to fire the coach. It's one thing bossing around 18-21-year-old kids. It's something else entirely to boss around guys who are making a boatload more money than you are.
Huge difference here. I agree. This guy needs to earn the player's trust. Wonder if he'll get it.

Hard to believe there were not other qualified candidates but don't mistake Urban as a coach who cares much about perception.

He'll get their trust. They obviously didn't find much on the guy, Iowa paid a strength coach a million dollars to leave to pacify the purple-haired screaming crazies.

Doyle is one of the best in the business. He helped get a lot of players to the NFL and he'll help make a lot of players better.

Regardless if you love or hate him... Doyle was good at his job. The whole thing at Iowa came across as sour grapes from former players, imo.

Regardless if you love or hate him... Doyle was good at his job. The whole thing at Iowa came across as sour grapes from former players, imo.

-dude acts like a jerk-

-later-

Dude: Hey that's sour grapes!

Yeah ... that's how it works when you're a jerk....

He'll get their trust. They obviously didn't find much on the guy, Iowa paid a strength coach a million dollars to leave to pacify the purple-haired screaming crazies.

Doyle is one of the best in the business. He helped get a lot of players to the NFL and he'll help make a lot of players better.
Are you out of your mind? He put 13 players in the hospital by not know proper training techniques back in 2011.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6061650

And now you have resorted to calling former black players at Iowa "purple-haired screaming crazies"?

Go back and reread the stories of what he said/did to many players at Iowa. Just the content shows you that it is from deep rooted beliefs, it shows his true character.

Guarantee that Doyle is out as a coach before the players start spring practice.

Knowing the habits and opinions of some of the posters in this thread on the OTB or any of the COVID threads, it was quite amusing to see who chimed in saying this was a good move by Meyer.

This guy lasted about as long as one of Donald Trump's staffing choices. (Rimshot!)

"Nothing but the best people, the very best."

Could Urban have possibly been that tone deaf, that there wouldn't still be an outrage to this, both from fans and probably internally as well with his players?

That does not bode well for him.

This isn't college Urban, where you can essentially just have more talented players than every team you play against.

Unfortunately the cancel culture is alive and well in the NFL. Everyone seems to forget that Doyle and Urban Meyer we’re together in Utah.

Unfortunately the cancel culture is alive and well in the NFL. Everyone seems to forget that Doyle and Urban Meyer we’re together in Utah.
Got any other ideas and phrases from your favorite talk radio ghouls you can throw out there to show the depth of your intelligence?

I don’t believe Urban is a racist/bigot for the hire. I’m sure he believes in second chances and that Doyle has reformed and will try harder, etc., in addition to of course being a great strength coach.

I just think he vastly underestimated how much folks would still care. They clearly do.

So, what is the way back for convicted racists (and alleged racists - from a certain POV). Are they allowed to rejoin society at some point, post mea culpa?

Is there a mechanism for forgiveness? Serious question. Does it depend on the degree of infraction? Doyle acted stupidly but does that garner him a lifetime employment ban? What if he apologizes and cleans up his act?

I wonder if that is how this played out...

Doyle spent one year at Utah, in 1998. Meyer didn’t arrive at Utah until 2003, five years later. The duo never otherwise worked together.

So, what is the way back for convicted racists (and alleged racists - from a certain POV). Are they allowed to rejoin society at some point, post mea culpa?

Is there a mechanism for forgiveness? Serious question. Does it depend on the degree of infraction? Doyle acted stupidly but does that garner him a lifetime employment ban? What if he apologizes and cleans up his act?

Time is the biggest key in all this. I agree that guys deserve second chances but often it takes time for people to really move on and look past previous mistakes and transgressions. In the case of Doyle, very little time has passed since all the Iowa stuff came out. So I can understand why him getting hired this soon by an NFL franchise would have rubbed some people the wrong way.

A lot of times after a scandal and what not you will see a coach resurface at a smaller school somewhere in order to rehab their image and work their way back up.

Well that was an interesting turn of events. I guess second chances only apply to some people and not others in this world. Zero chance this happened as a mere reconsideration of things; the woke and PC mob clearly leaped into action with a social media barrage and attack to prevent this guy from gainful employment.

Doyle's probably a colossal tool, but if we're going to start saying zero 2nd chances for anyone, I kinda see a double standard/hypocrisy issue forming very, very fast.. Only a certain group gets to determine who gets second chances perhaps

Top Bottom