Meltdown..............TD is only a 2 star recruit?????????????

balds

Reaction score
We should have passed........................

Go-home-youre-drunk.jpg

It's one game. Oregon State had no idea who he is. He is fast, no doubt, but really light. Teams will start running at him, even on long yardage. Plus, that guy from OSU on the edge is not very good. Give the young freshman credit. He played well. Now he will have people's attention and then let's see how it goes. He has a chance to be good when he grows into his body.

Can't wait until he fills out in a year or two to see what he could turn into. Good edge rusher right now, but hope he grows into the complete DE like I think he will.

Can't wait until he fills out in a year or two to see what he could turn into. Good edge rusher right now, but hope he grows into the complete DE like I think he will.

Of course, then we'll whine that he played as a true freshman and we didn't redshirt him...

I looked back at his commitment thread. Some were disappointed in the commit, and most thought he was a big project that would for sure need a RS year.

I would have bet someone $50 that a true freshman 215 lb DE would not see the field for us, much less be the 2 sack difference maker for us in the opener. I think it speaks to a combination of Dever's speed and talent, OSU's unawareness of him and #74, our lack of depth and recruiting at DE, and Claeys' willingness to play the best guys no matter what.

This makes me wonder...would he have seen the field if Kill was still coaching?

Kill played plenty of true freshmen when he was coaching. His philosophy was the same - the best players play.

Kill didn't have a 2 year contract, or his first as a head football coach.

I looked back at his commitment thread. Some were disappointed in the commit, and most thought he was a big project that would for sure need a RS year.

I would have bet someone $50 that a true freshman 215 lb DE would not see the field for us, much less be the 2 sack difference maker for us in the opener. I think it speaks to a combination of Dever's speed and talent, OSU's unawareness of him and #74, our lack of depth and recruiting at DE, and Claeys' willingness to play the best guys no matter what.
I spoke with his parents at the spring game very nice folks. I joked with them about how skinny their kid was. They too figured he would get a year to eat and grow. Hope he can continue to play well.

Well if anything Deuvers surprise development really helps solidfy the two deeps at DE

This makes me wonder...would he have seen the field if Kill was still coaching?
Claeys was probably more conservative about playing freshmen than Kill was. JK was the guy who fell in love with Richardson after the CSU game, while Claeys said show me four or five weeks and I'll believe.

I like what Devers did, but the fact that we had a couple of true freshman playing so much on defense in game 1 (Devers and Martin) doesn't bode well for our chances of winning the B1G west this year.

I like what Devers did, but the fact that we had a couple of true freshman playing so much on defense in game 1 (Devers and Martin) doesn't bode well for our chances of winning the B1G west this year.
Devers had a limited role much like Julian Huff last year, as for the amount of time Martin played you must not have been paying attention, but we lost three linebackers. I'm sure the game plan was for Martin to have a limited role but circumstances changed that.

I think plans may have changed last night with regards to Martin's role. He's fantastic, and physically ready.

Top Bottom