Mel Kiper Jr. currently projects Hageman as a second-round NFL pick

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe's blog:

Here's what Kiper said today:

"He flashes [his potential] is what he does. Of course, you see glimpses of the big-time ability he has. He’s got incredible talent from a physical standpoint, and he can run. I’ve seen him pursue the sidelines and run like a linebacker, and he’s a big kid. I mean, this is a kid who’s got enormous potential. You coach him up in the NFL, improve his technique, and certainly in a rotation situation, he can be a very good player.

"I think he’s probably a second-round type of player now. He was on the Big Board; I took him off because obviously you don’t see that type of consistency from the first to the fourth quarters and the dominant performances like some of the other guys like say an Aaron Donald at Pittsburgh, who has 19 tackles for a loss and nine sacks.

"You’ve got guys out there that are just really taking over games, and [Hageman] hasn’t been able to do that on a consistent basis. But the flashes are enough, the physical ability. I think with the combine, when you stack him up against the other defensive tackles, I think it could put him in the second-round mix."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/231923001.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

I think that is fair. He does sit out a good amount of plays, but does show flashes of dominance.

I can agree with that, he isn't consistent enough probably to justify a high 1st pick, but I'm kinda hoping a team late in the 1st will decide to take the chance on him, cause then he'd be going to a winning environment, with hopefully great coaching and a great locker room around him to help him thrive and learn to become a pro.

Watching it live, I think there were at least 3 series in a row where he didn't see a snap last week. I'm on the visiting side, so I might've missed him getting taped or something. However, I have heard nothing about any dings etc. I think that speaks to effort and maybe some other intangibles. Batted passes aren't necessarily a sign of dominance!

Wait until the combine, his draft stock is going to soar (right or wrong) after teams see his measurables. Like a WR with a crazy 40 time and no hands (troy williamson). I'm not calling Shede a bust or anything, just some team will fall in love with him

once the combine comes around his stock is going to sky rocket....

. Batted passes aren't necessarily a sign of dominance!

no but they waste a down... can get the defense off the field, result in a turnover... why do you think watt gets praised for this part of his game

I think that is a fair assessment. 2nd round. I love him, but since Nebraska he seems to be sitting a lot. I think he'd have to be a one man wrecking crew AND blow people away in the combine to reach the first round. So far, there hasn't been an every down every game type wrecking crew result. Not to say he won't get to that level when he hits the NFL...

no but they waste a down... can get the defense off the field, result in a turnover... why do you think watt gets praised for this part of his game

I agree, it's a great result; however, batted passes alone doesn't mean a thing. You can be on a spy technique and get no rush while batting passes. That's why I said "necessarily a sign of dominance." Watt is so heralded because he gets sacks and bats passes with more frequency and consistency than others.

Watching it live, I think there were at least 3 series in a row where he didn't see a snap last week. I'm on the visiting side, so I might've missed him getting taped or something. However, I have heard nothing about any dings etc. I think that speaks to effort and maybe some other intangibles. Batted passes aren't necessarily a sign of dominance!

Hasn't he been dealing with an injury for awhile now? Coach(es) this season have talked about how he was hurt and they worried about having him for the next game but he's played in all of them.

Can't afford to sit him and let him get better so they limit him during the game itself?

Maybe they bye-week will answer the question.

Let's hope somebody shows him this thread and he proves his dominance in the Wisconsin game. I agree with most everything said above.
Let's go 'Shede! Hoist that axe!

Top Bottom