Media Predictions Thread: Iowa @ Minnesota

MGGopher

Reaction score
CFN: 7 writers (plus Clucko) for Iowa, 6 for Minnesota

Bleacher Report: Minnesota 31, Iowa 27

Odds Shark: Computer picks Iowa: 30.4 to 29.2. Public is betting Iowa to cover -3.5 at a 55% clip.

We need the 250 people allowed to attend to stand the entire game and be very loud...

I'm a little suprised folks are calling this close.
I assume you mean the perception would be that Iowa will roll because of MN struggles on D and what Iowa did to MSU last week. That said, the Vegas line is fairly close, Maryland whipped up on PSU last week making MN's loss look "better", and the MN offense continues to roll. I'm personally very worried about the chances of holding Iowa under 30 points, but in either case, I think it's a close game. What's your prediction?

I think that the writers that are choosing the Gophers recognize that what gives the Gopher defense the most problems are mobile QBs. Petras is not a mobile QB, which will make it easier on our defense, still it will be a close game

I think that the writers that are choosing the Gophers recognize that what gives the Gopher defense the most problems are mobile QBs. Petras is not a mobile QB, which will make it easier on our defense, still it will be a close game
Definitely. During the Maryland game we had a lot of good pressure on their QB that forced him to leave the pocket, he just was able to actually run and avoid the sack/make a downfield throw under pressure.

If Iowa's QB can't do that, and we show the same amount of pressure, there will be sacks plain and simple.

I agree that helps, but what gives MN the most trouble is RBs going for 10+ yards per carry. I'm hopeful they do a better job this week. Iowa got back to their running game last week after airing it out a bit the first two games.

I agree that helps, but what gives MN the most trouble is RBs going for 10+ yards per carry. I'm hopeful they do a better job this week. Iowa got back to their running game last week after airing it out a bit the first two games.
Especially a guy like Goodson. He's shifty and good in space. Unless our open field tackling and pursuit angles change, I can see giving up several long runs to him.

Gut impression is that DL play improved against Illinois (even though Schad was out). We have some decent young players at interior positions. Not sure about LB play. But Goodson is dangerous; I think LB play is the key to keeping Iowa's offense from breaking off several chunk runs. Let's hope that, as experience is gained in game conditions, our fairly new starters keep maturing.

Iowa should be a 2 TD favorite, but given it's time we won one and it's at home (even if only 250 fans are there) and we can both run and pass, we should be competitive. Weather may be a factor. On a normal autumn day, I'd see a high-scoring close game, but cold may force fumbles, skids, maybe injuries, so I'd say Iowa by a field goal or two. In my dreams, Gophers play their game of the year and win by 10, but that's in my dreams.

Iowa will have trouble containing Mo. With that said, no confidence in Gopher defense. Iowa wins 42-31.

Top Bottom