Media Predictions: Minnesota vs Maryland 2020

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
College Football News has picked Minnesota to win, 40-12.
Minnesota is far better than it looked against a strong Michigan team that owned the lines. This week, this will be the Gopher team many thought would show up last Saturday night. The running game and the offense will control the clock for close to 40 minutes.

Covers is picking the Gophers to win.
The Gophers also have one of the best wide receivers in the conference in junior Rashod Bateman and a dangerous running back in Mohamed Ibrahim, who rumbled for 140 yards against the Wolverines last week and rushed for 1160 yards as a freshman in 2018. Back Minnesota to win and cover. PREDICTION: Minnesota -20.5

ATS selected the Gophers to win.
Both teams looked as bad as you could in week one, but I am going to back Minnesota -20.5 on the road in this one.

Sports Chat Place predicts a Minnesota win.
Minnesota is a much better team than what they showed in their opener when they got humiliated by Michigan at home. I think the Gophers wake up and put the boots to Maryland in this one so I’ll lay the points with Minnesota in this one.

Not surprised to see this first wave of predictions looking like this. Don't think there is much doubt that the offense should be able to hang quite a few points on Maryland, just have to hope the defense can get some things sorted out to keep it from turning into a big time shootout.

Thank God the conference keeps putting Maryland on our schedule.
Nothings for certain. Maryland is up 3-2 in games played. Yes, and one of those was in 1977.

Today over/under is at 60, Vegas predicting Gophs win, covering spread, and it going under...with the Gophs scoring 40+.

We learn if we are bad or better than bad against Maryland. They’re my pick for 14th in the big 10 and were even before Rutgers beat MSU

This week will be fun. Things need to be simplified for the young players and have them keep things in front of them.

Hopefully we get up early and get to see what some of the young guys can do.

Athlon Sports takes Minnesota to win 34-14.
Maryland displayed nothing this past week to warrant any consideration of pulling an upset against a motivated Minnesota team that still has aspirations of a Big Ten West title. With cooler temperatures and possible precipitation in the forecast, expect the Golden Gophers to grind out a win with Mohamed Ibrahim doing a lot of the damage against a susceptible Maryland defense.

Sports Betting Dime goes with the Gophers.
It’s tough to bet on most Big Ten teams covering a 20-plus point spread on the road in a conference rivalry game, but keep in mind Minnesota was 4-1-0 away from TCF Bank Stadium last season and covered in three of those contests. The Golden Gophers are loaded on offense and dominated when these two teams met last year. A rebuilding Maryland program simply doesn’t have the weapons or experience to keep pace in this one. Pick: Minnesota Golden Gophers -20.5 (-106)

Sports Book Wire|USA Today picks Minnesota, 48-23
The Gophers just ran into a good Michigan team last week. They have the talent and they’ll bounce back... The Terrapins won’t be able to stop the Gophers, but they might score some junk points when the game gets of hand.

Winners and Whiners takes the Gophers
Minnesota is a better team than Northwestern and they could easily put up 50 or 60 on this young Terps team, while allowing just a few points. This is what happens when you rebuild and you don't have a normal practice routine due to a pandemic. It will be ugly.

Tonys Picks predicts a Minnesota win.
The Gophers will get back hard and will be powered by a very dangerous duo in QB Tanner Morgan and WR Rashod Bateman who collaborated with 9 receptions for 101 yards, and slashing into the Terrapins’ secondary is an easy task for this duo. The Predicted Score, the Minnesota Golden Gophers will win at 42-21.

Odds Shark sides with the Gophers.
Minnesota will win, cover the spread and the total will go under.

Man, I think every prediction has Minnesota covering 20.5 on the road after losing by 25 at home a few days ago.

a) Maryland is horrible.
b) Could you have imagined predictions like that just a few years ago?
c) I really hope that happens. Saturday was not cool.

EDIT: I just went back and watched some highlights of the Maryland - NW game since I didn't watch any of it. Holy cow. They're bad. Like 2019 Rutgers bad.

Last edited:

I don't take any win as a given with Gopher football. But I did think the same thing last year and the Gophers won 52-10.

I will go against all the experts on here. The Gophers need to show that they belong this year and I have serious questions about their defense and special teams. I don't think they are as bad as they looked vs. Michigan and will benefit greatly off their first game and play a lot better. Still - Maryland was a -4 in the turnover department and allowed a punt return for a TD. They should improve greatly here too and have a hunch Tagovailoa plays a lot better in his second game. The Gophers should score some points but Maryland will score some too. This will be a lot closer than the experts think.

Gophers: 34 Maryland: 27

Maryland scores way too many points

Gophers 42
Maryland 38

My prediction is the same for the Michigan game:

I expect it is just as likley that we kick their ass as it is that we get our ass kicked.

At The Daily Gopher (SB Nation) two contributors picked Maryland, seven picked Minnesota.

Predict Em picks the Gophers to win.
Minnesota looks like a good, not great team that had the misfortune of running into a really strong opponent in Week 1. I think the Gophers bounce back well here and feast on a weak Maryland team. Give me Minnesota to cover the number.

MLive predicts a Golden Gophers win.
Mohammed Ibrahim ran for 140 yards and two TDs against Michigan, and Maryland will provide even less resistance. Minnesota’s defense and QB Tanner Morgan should be able to get back on track. Minnesota 41, Maryland 17

At the Asbury Park Press of New Jersey, 10 writers picked Minnesota and one went with Maryland.

Bleacher Report picked the Gophers to win 27-10.

I feel just sick - I was going to go drive down to Iowa and put 5,000.00 on Maryland plus 19.5 I was so confident on it but was too tired after work to go make the long drive. The Gophers will be very fortunate just to win this one at all.

Top Bottom