Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota at Michigan (September 28, 2024)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Chris is first out of the gate:

Game 5: vs Minnesota (Sept. 28)​

The schedule is challenging, but it's game five and Michigan football still won't have play a game outside of the Big House.

Minnesota is a respectable program under P.J. Fleck. Darius Taylor is one of the best running backs in the Big Ten and the defense is always good at taking the ball away.

That worries me with a young quarterback like Alex Orji, but the Gophers can't match up with Michigan football talent-wise. This will be a physical affair but the Wolverines win by three scores.

Prediction: Michigan 34, Minnesota 17

Go Gophers!!

Bumping thread for new predictions. Not a lot of positives for the Gophers here.

GBM Wolverine (FanSided) has Michigan winning 23-10
This matchup worries me a little bit, except Iowa just torched the Minnesota run defense. The Gophers gave up 272 yards on the ground and four touchdowns. Iowa does have Cade McNamara at quarterback, which is an upgrade over Alex Orj but it's still Iowa.

Michigan football's offensive line has improved and the USC game was their best. If those guys can put together another solid performance, Michigan should win the game. Minnesota has only scored a combined 31 points in two power-4 games this season, so the defense should dominate.

Maybe it will even score against the Gophers as it did last year. The best offense is a good defense after all. U-M will win but we might be glad they don't count pretty on the scoreboard.

Fox Sports is picking Michigan to win, 26-14
The No. 12 Michigan Wolverines (3-1) and the Minnesota Golden Gophers (2-2) square off to try to take home the Little Brown Jug on Saturday, September 28, 2024 at Michigan Stadium. The Wolverines are 9.5-point favorites. The contest has an over/under of 35.5 points.

Last time around, the Wolverines defeated the USC Trojans, with 27-24 being the final score. The Golden Gophers lost against the Iowa Hawkeyes in their most recent game.

College Football News is predicting a 30-16 Michigan victory
Minnesota is overdue for one of those games under PJ Fleck when the team plays two steps above its pay grade.

No, the Michigan defense isn’t what it was last year, but it’ll hold down the Gopher O, the ground game will rumble, and the Little Brown Jug will stay in Ann Arbor.

Tony’s Picks is going with Michigan, 26-13
Based on our analysis and the frequent betting patterns, the state of Michigan is the stronger bet. Judging from their impressive home record and positive ATS, they are very likely to cover the spread. Minnesota is sometimes brilliant but as a rule, they have not fared well on the road or against Big Ten teams, and this adds to the positives for Michigan.

The Daily Gopher (SB Nation) is predicting a 35-13 Michigan win
The real problem for the Gophers is up front. Minnesota ranks 108th nationally in rushing offense (and 17th in the Big Ten), in large part because of an offensive line that can’t consistently get push up front to open up running lanes for running back Darius Taylor.

They’ve got an uphill battle against a Michigan defensive front that has been stout against the run… This will not go well.

Picks and Parlays is predicting a 27-10 Michigan win
Michigan is holding opponents to an average of 20.8 points and 323 yards per game. Michigan’s offense will be too much for the Golden Gophers' defense to contain.

I hate not looking forward to watching Gopher football. But here I am. I'm not looking forward to this.

Top Bottom