Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota at Illinois

CFN chimes in:

What’s Going To Happen
Illinois doesn’t have the skill parts in the backfield to do to the Gophers what Maryland did, but it’ll make this a nasty battle on the lines.

Minnesota won’t mess around too much. It’ll have a more balanced attack, the running game will go for a full four quarters, and the passing game will be more explosive with Rashod Bateman and the offense overcoming another rough day from the defensive side.

Minnesota vs Illinois Prediction
Minnesota 38, Illinois 30

Go Gophers!!

Megan Ryan chimes in:

Who is going to win?
I preface every prediction I do with that face that I think all of them are meaningless shouts into the void, a fruitless attempt to navigate a random and unknowable future. But anyway, I’m going Illinois 30, Gophers 24. It’s truly hard to foresee what shenanigans will ensue when the conference’s worst defense meets the conference’s worst offense. But I hazard it won’t be pretty. The Maryland game was really telling for me. The fact that the Gophers went from favored by 20 points to losing by one in overtime said an infinite amount. So my confidence in this team has swung fairly drastically. I bet you I’m wrong, though, and they actually win, just to spite me.

Go Gophers!!

Unless the Gophers can regroup on defense and stop giving up a first down on every play, and until they let loose their passing game again, it's hard to see them winning a single game this year.

GOPHERS WIN!

Score Gophers 35 - Illinois 24

TALON fan of the Gophers

Megan Ryan chimes in:

Who is going to win?
I preface every prediction I do with that face that I think all of them are meaningless shouts into the void, a fruitless attempt to navigate a random and unknowable future. But anyway, I’m going Illinois 30, Gophers 24. It’s truly hard to foresee what shenanigans will ensue when the conference’s worst defense meets the conference’s worst offense. But I hazard it won’t be pretty. The Maryland game was really telling for me. The fact that the Gophers went from favored by 20 points to losing by one in overtime said an infinite amount. So my confidence in this team has swung fairly drastically. I bet you I’m wrong, though, and they actually win, just to spite me.

Last edited:

Saturday Tradition chimes in:

Minnesota (-7) at Illinois
If there was ever a chance for Minnesota’s defense to get right, you’d have to think it would be against an offense that doesn’t know who will be its starting QB. The Illini (0-2) played fourth-string QB Coran Taylor for the majority of last week’s loss to Purdue, but third-stringer Matt Robinson may be back from injury. Starter Brandon Peters is still out with COVID-19, and backup Isaiah Williams could be out for contact-tracing purposes, as well.

The Golden Gophers (0-2) allowed only 306 yards per game in their breakthrough 2019 season; in 2020, they are allowing 578 per game — which is 102nd nationally out of the 103 teams currently playing.

Minnesota 34, Illinois 24

Go Gophers!!

Saturday Tradition chimes in:

Minnesota (-7) at Illinois
If there was ever a chance for Minnesota’s defense to get right, you’d have to think it would be against an offense that doesn’t know who will be its starting QB. The Illini (0-2) played fourth-string QB Coran Taylor for the majority of last week’s loss to Purdue, but third-stringer Matt Robinson may be back from injury. Starter Brandon Peters is still out with COVID-19, and backup Isaiah Williams could be out for contact-tracing purposes, as well.

The Golden Gophers (0-2) allowed only 306 yards per game in their breakthrough 2019 season; in 2020, they are allowing 578 per game — which is 102nd nationally out of the 103 teams currently playing.

Minnesota 34, Illinois 24

Go Gophers!!

Uff da!

I thought we would play Michigan tough, and destroy Maryland; so....I have no clue about this one.

Last season earned Fleck a lot of equity in my book. Am anticipating a win tomorrow but even if the season goes south in a big way I feel good about the gophers going forward into the future.

I can't see this defense stopping any team from scoring at will. Hope I'm wrong.

I like us to lose so we stay “perfect” for the season 🤷🏻‍♂️

Greder chimes in with a Gopher loss prediction:

GOPHERS AT ILLINOIS, 2:30 P.M., BTN
You don’t have to go back far at all to find Minnesota’s last 0-3 start in Big Ten play; it was Fleck’s second year in 2018. It has also happened under Jerry Kill, Tim Brewster and Glen Mason in the past 15 years. Illinois, 35-31

Go Gophers!!

Megan chimes in with a Gopher loss prediction:

Two 0-2 teams in the Big Ten West seek their first win. The Gophers’ conference-worst defense meets Illinois, the conference’s lowest-scoring offense. Meanwhile, COVID-19 has dramatically impacted both, making this outcome a real tossup. Prediction: Illinois 30, Gophers 24

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom