Media Prediction Thread: Illinois at Minnesota (November 4, 2023)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Yard Barker out of the gate first with a late spring prediction of an Illini win:

Nov 4 (Sat) TBD Away Minnesota Minneapolis, Minn: The Golden Gophers are a bit of an enigma coming into the season. We’ll see how well head coach PJ Fleck has recruited. Former quarterback Tanner Morgan seemed to be at Minnesota long enough to get a Ph.D. The Gophers can run the football no matter who is in the backfield. That said, Illinois should be able to go on the road and get the win in this game. The Gophers are tough defensively, but the Illini have too much firepower. W

Go Gophers!!

Simon chimes in:

Week 10 vs. Illinois (11/4)​

Minnesota should be 6-2 heading into this game and likely will be favored to win, but this has the making of a trap game. Bret Bielema’s Illini are coming off a bye week and have beaten the Gophers the past two years. Bielema knows how to beat this team, and Minnesota fans might be in for a surprise when Illinois comes to Huntington Bank Stadium.

Projection: Gophers lose 21-24

Go Gophers!!

I doubt the Gophers will be in for a surprise if Illinois wins. The Gophers have never beaten a Bielema team ever. Not once. Bielema game plans well for the Gophers. Score early (no feeling out the other team for the first couple of series), and then rely on a stout defense and PJ’s well known inability to come back for a win from a ten point deficit. To beat Bielema and Illinois, the Gophers need to play great defense from the get go (no ceding the lead early) and need to score early and, ideally, often. I think PJ gives Bielema his first loss versus Minnesota this year—unless we play into Bert’s hands with a lame-o 1st Q from which we can never fully recover.

Last edited:

I doubt the Gophers will be in for a surprise if Illinois wins. The Gophers have never beaten a Bielema team ever. Not once. Bielema game plans well for the Gophers. Score earlier (no feeling out the other team for the first couple of series), and then rely on a stout defense and PJ’s well known inability to come back for a win from a ten point deficit. To beat Bielema and Illinois, the Gophers need to play great defense from the get go (no ceding the lead early) and need to score early and, ideally, often. I think PJ gives Bielema his first loss versus Minnesota this year—unless we play into Bert’s hands with a lame-o 1st Q from which we can never fully recover.
This is the year that all changes...

I doubt the Gophers will be in for a surprise if Illinois wins. The Gophers have never beaten a Bielema team ever. Not once. Bielema game plans well for the Gophers. Score earlier (no feeling out the other team for the first couple of series), and then rely on a stout defense and PJ’s well known inability to come back for a win from a ten point deficit. To beat Bielema and Illinois, the Gophers need to play great defense from the get go (no ceding the lead early) and need to score early and, ideally, often. I think PJ gives Bielema his first loss versus Minnesota this year—unless we play into Bert’s hands with a lame-o 1st Q from which we can never fully recover.
Came back from a ten point first quarter deficit at Nebraska last year. Minnesota will be ready for Illinois.

Came back from a ten point first quarter deficit at Nebraska last year. Minnesota will be ready for Illinois.
That was the only regular season comeback from a ten point deficit for PJ in six seasons at Minnesota. And if I recall, it was because AK entered the game at QB. Might be a good sign for 2023.

We also started the 2022 Illinois game down 10-0. We caught Illinois at 10, actually going ahead before the doors fell off. Tanner threw for 21 yards in that game; DeVito threw for 252 for Illinois.

Last edited:

I remember all hell broke loose after we lost to ILL both years.

We if don’t beat them this year, I’m sure we have another board melt down just like the two years prior.

I remember all hell broke loose after we lost to ILL both years.

We if don’t beat them this year, I’m sure we have another board melt down just like the two years prior.
I’m confident this year!

Not sure about Illinois having too much firepower. Losing Chase Brown is a major blow and comparable to losing Mo. They replace an experienced QB with an unknown. And they have a new OC.

Top Bottom