Meanwhile, recruiting elsewhere is heating up. Purdue scores with Caleb Furst.

Not your best effort Built. A little detail for those of us who have no idea who Caleb Furst is please.

Not your best effort Built. A little detail for those of us who have no idea who Caleb Furst is please.

Michigan State wanted Furst really bad and was generally considered the favorite to land him, so this is a really good pick-up for Matt Painter.

What? Purdue kept a top 30ish guy home? I thought i was told that doesnt happen easily
About 1 in 4 top 100 players stay home based on 247 sports recruiting. Pitino is right at that level.

My concern is recruiting

While I put very little stock in what Doogie says, he said he heard (very reliable info) that Garcia felt underrecruited by Marquette and had Pitino been a bit more aggressive, we would've been strongly in the mix.

Davison publicly said similar-although while he's an ok player, I'm happy to not have punk here

It does make me question Pitino's recruiting strategy

My concern is recruiting

While I put very little stock in what Doogie says, he said he heard (very reliable info) that Garcia felt underrecruited by Marquette and had Pitino been a bit more aggressive, we would've been strongly in the mix.

Davison publicly said similar-although while he's an ok player, I'm happy to not have punk here

Im not sure Pitino could have put any more effort than what he was already doing. If he felt underrecruited by marquette and still went there that's all on garcia! Cant force him to come here. Sounds to me like he really wanted to go there then.

My concern is recruiting

Through various outlets, this has been a bit of a common theme with Pitino in regards to the local guys. Whether it's true or not, or these highly rated kids think they deserve endless amounts of attention, I don't know. Whatever the reality is, I would generally subscribe to the "where there's smoke, there's fire" theory. It was highly publicized in the Washington/Wright debate and how much attention he was giving them and effectively slow-playing Wright. Garcia would have been a big "get", so there is no reason for underrecruiting him. It's quite possible Doogie is doing his normal hack-job reporting. It's also possible Garcia is saying that to save face with the locals as to why he didn't stay home. Regardless, the Gophers are without his services, as well as a lot of other talent that has left.

Through various outlets, this has been a bit of a common theme with Pitino in regards to the local guys. Whether it's true or not, or these highly rated kids think they deserve endless amounts of attention, I don't know. Whatever the reality is, I would generally subscribe to the "where there's smoke, there's fire" theory. It was highly publicized in the Washington/Wright debate and how much attention he was giving them and effectively slow-playing Wright. Garcia would have been a big "get", so there is no reason for underrecruiting him. It's quite possible Doogie is doing his normal hack-job reporting. It's also possible Garcia is saying that to save face with the locals as to why he didn't stay home. Regardless, the Gophers are without his services, as well as a lot of other talent that has left.
If garcia was saying we needed to be more aggressive then garcia obviously needs the attention. I don't believe that pitino wasn't aggressive in his recruiting with Garcia. If he was aggressive we wouldve been strongly in the mix? I thought we were. lol Regardless have fun in milwaukee by the team you felt underrecruited you!

My concern is recruiting

I believe that we offered Davison a week before he committed. Would you take Davison over Gabe at this point?

I believe that we offered Davison a week before he committed. Would you take Davison over Gabe at this point?
You are correct

No, I don't consider Davison a miss. He's a player that would help MN, but I'm glad I don't have to put with him punching players in nuts

I prefaced it with it is doogie....I'm not taking it as the gospel

My concern is recruiting

I really believe Pitino is into recruiting better "athletes."
He wants guys that go out there and makes plays on there own (Washington a big example over Wright). That's my opinion. We haven't had too many guys that are just fundamental, solid basketball players. Not saying the guys we've had aren't smart, there are just certain guys out there that really understand the game. Davison is a good example of that, though I agree I'm ok with him not being here. Maybe that's a mistake though.

You could also say that coaches are meant to develop players into smarter, more perceptive players. I would say that hasn't really been developed under Pitino.

I really believe Pitino is into recruiting better "athletes."
He wants guys that go out there and makes plays on there own (Washington a big example over Wright). That's my opinion. We haven't had too many guys that are just fundamental, solid basketball players. Not saying the guys we've had aren't smart, there are just certain guys out there that really understand the game. Davison is a good example of that, though I agree I'm ok with him not being here. Maybe that's a mistake though.

You could also say that coaches are meant to develop players into smarter, more perceptive players. I would say that hasn't really been developed under Pitino.
Hard to say if Davison was miss or not, but he also was one heck of an athlete - Wasn't he also an All State QB? I'm not a fan of his past antics but the kid has grit and sure seems tough.

Hard to say if Davison was miss or not, but he also was one heck of an athlete - Wasn't he also an All State QB? I'm not a fan of his past antics but the kid has grit and sure seems tough.
Yeah I should clarify I mean more quickness, speed, and just natural ability when it comes to Pitino recruits. I believe Davison is a tough kid. I think it's great to have kids that have success in multiple sports as well. I think a big piece of Davison's success is mental.

He gave tons of attention to Garcia and all the others. Often kids pick coaches who are not bugging them. It happens pretty early if your going to get them.

He gave tons of attention to Garcia and all the others. Often kids pick coaches who are not bugging them. It happens pretty early if your going to get them.

I believe you liked our chances with Garcia , correct?

I believe you liked our chances with Garcia , correct?
Yes, he did not have a clear favorite and schools that never even offered him were saying he was not leaving the midwest.

Top Bottom