Meanwhile in Chapel Hill.......

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Roy is still a great guy. Heels ranked in the top 5. Preparing for the ACC and NCAA tournies. Sports media lauds another great season.

No hint of the NCAA around. Walls constructed to prevent the NCAA from learning too much. Administrators understand the importance of the BB program and protect it like their lives depend on it. Life is good. Academic improprieties? Surely you jest!

North and West a few hundred miles.....

In Dinkytown..... yet another issue with the Mens BB program. Moral superiority reigns. U administrators need new Fruit of the Looms a couple times daily, as their decision making is getting the best of them. Sports media in full assault mode, per standard.

Recovery from the late 90's academic scandal remains elusive. Recruit less risky kids, they say. Like Will Avery and Suiliman. Yes, K knows how to recruit only the finest athletes, both on and off the court.

Decades of nearly universal irrelevance in Mens BB and FB should send a message to the U Administration = perhaps we are doing things the wrong way? Nah, we do things the right way here at the University of Minnesota!

Stark, stark contrast between how successful teams on the field and court are managed and how the University of Minnesota teams are managed.

So the U should cheat "better"? Really F*ing dumb.

So the U should cheat "better"? Really F*ing dumb.

What's really dumb is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. I'm sure Les doesn't have winning as an expectation.

Really fing dumb.

Walls constructed to prevent the NCAA from learning too much. Administrators understand the importance of the BB program and protect it like their lives depend on it. Life is good.
Stark, stark contrast between how successful teams on the field and court are managed and how the University of Minnesota teams are managed.

I believe the quality of athletes who end up at a school is less about adminsitrative malfeasance than other factors such as tradition, coach, location, strength of team. Even if cheating was legal we would be at a disadvantage. That being said, I want to win (someday) doing it the right way.

I believe the quality of athletes who end up at a school is less about adminsitrative malfeasance than other factors such as tradition, coach, location, strength of team. Even if cheating was legal we would be at a disadvantage. That being said, I want to win (someday) doing it the right way.

One point is that MN is not near a level playing field.

What's really dumb is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. I'm sure Les doesn't have winning as an expectation.

Really fing dumb.
I think Les has winning as an expectation. I bet that he believes that it still is cheating even if you don't get caught.

The administration & the athletic department hobbled all sports at the U by publicly admitting that our facilities needed upgrading, compounded the problem by promising Tubby it would be fixed and then ass dragging for five years before forming the "donation brigade" to get it done.

The ineptitude at the administration level is mind boggling, especially considering the academic bungling that has gone one in the psych research department. It makes me wonder how many more problems are waiting to be uncovered.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It's mind boggling that it is taking so long. They better get the hammer dropped on them. I would love to see Ol' Roy's whiny reaction at the press conference announcing the penalties.

Go Gophers!!

The failure of the NCAA to address academic fraud at North Carolina is absolutely egregious.

It's not that they're not addressing it, it's that the investigation is in progress. In order to be complete, these things typically take a couple of years. The NCAA charged them with severe violations. Punishment will come:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...th-carolina-tar-heels-five-serious-violations

And that is the problem. Why does it take that long? A good way to make sure you never punish any of the guilty parties is to issue the punishment years later.

And that is the problem. Why does it take that long? A good way to make sure you never punish any of the guilty parties is to issue the punishment years later.

In Minnesota's case, there was a period of more than 19 months (March 1999 - October 2000) between the publishing of the Dohrmann article and the NCAA sanctions. The UNC violations were announced in October 2014. A period of 19 months out from that would be April 2016. This is notwithstanding the fact that UNC self-reported additional violations in August 2015. I know that these facts are inconvenient to the narrative of Gopher fans with a persecution complex (not you, GII), but those are indeed the realities of the situation.

The quote that never grows old:
“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it’s going to give Cleveland State two more years of probation,” Tarkanian said. It’s a great line, a funny line, but it underscored how the NCAA bullied smaller schools with sanctions while it let marquee (read: money-making) programs slide for the same transgressions. (Washington Post)

In Minnesota's case, there was a period of more than 19 months (March 1999 - October 2000) between the publishing of the Dohrmann article and the NCAA sanctions. The UNC violations were announced in October 2014. A period of 19 months out from that would be April 2016. This is notwithstanding the fact that UNC self-reported additional violations in August 2015. I know that these facts are inconvenient to the narrative of Gopher fans with a persecution complex (not you, GII), but those are indeed the realities of the situation.

+1 it's good to know the facts as with time some things can blend together

I've never seen coaches do less with more talent than Dean Smith at UNC! Only two titles with all those McDonald's all-americans, pathetic!

Why we gotta bring up UNC with all this hate? That's a fun team to watch, who cares if their kids can't spell, they are fun to watch play basketball.

I wish the Gophers could be half as good...all this off the court crap would be a lot more bearable.

I've never seen coaches do less with more talent than Dean Smith at UNC! Only two titles with all those McDonald's all-americans, pathetic!

And only 13 consecutive Sweet 16s!

This is selective in facts and reality, that much is obvious.

The fact of the matter is UNC has THE worst academic scandal on its hands - ever. The. Worst. Ever.

Self reported violations???? :clap: Back to earth.

At the U of MN, the doors are opened and we ask for additional penalties. At other, more athletically successful schools, walls are built and laryngitis happens to many, many in the know. Saying nothing of the NCAA and their selective approach.

Level playing field? Not in the least.

A not so smart guy like you may not understand those facts.

The fact of the matter is UNC has THE worst academic scandal on its hands - ever. The. Worst. Ever.

At the U of MN, the doors are opened and we ask for additional penalties. At other, more athletically successful schools, walls are built and laryngitis happens to many, many in the know. Saying nothing of the NCAA and their selective approach.

+1

MN and Unc situations are totally different. Clem was caught and the U took action right away. The mess at Unc has been going on for years and nothing has happened. The folks at Carolina are still in denial that they did anything wrong and the NCAA does not want to do anything to them. In fact they had cleared them twice already until Rashad Mccants came forward, then they reopened the investigation. No excuse for the Gophers, it just sucks that it is not an even playing field.

Completely ignore the timeline and whine some more. Par for the course.

You understand that UNC is about to get crushed with sanctions right?

I hope you are correct, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Please read Gary Parrish on the subject. They're not just dicking around, there were new additional violations discovered this past summer that was the reason for the delay. Killing the NCAA for not punishing UNC is bizarre, and shows a complete lack of understanding of the timeline of the situation.

Please read Gary Parrish on the subject. They're not just dicking around, there were new additional violations discovered this past summer that was the reason for the delay. Killing the NCAA for not punishing UNC is bizarre, and shows a complete lack of understanding of the timeline of the situation.

"Crushed with sanctions".

Why dont you outline what that means to you.

btw - it is priceless the way to protect the ncaa.

You're probably right but I still think simple investigations take way too long. Rick Pitino recently said that he hadn't even been contacted by anyone from the NCAA about their situation. You'd think talking to him would have been one of the first things they'd do.

It took the NCAA a good half dozen years to finally say there would be no punishment for the Corey Maggette/Myron Piggie situation. That decision should have been made within months as there really wasn't a whole lot to investigate.

"Crushed with sanctions".

Why dont you outline what that means to you.

btw - it is priceless the way to protect the ncaa.

They'll lose scholarships and be banned from post season play anywhere from 2-5 years. There's a chance they'll forfeit the 09 title, maybe even the 05 title.

It's weird that you're complaining they haven't been punished, when the reason for the delay is they found additional rules violations that will make the punishment worse. If the NCAA completes their investigation and doesn't punish UNC, they'll deserve all the ridicule and scorn that you're giving them (and I'll be right there with you). It's just odd to complain about a sentence before the trial is even finished.

They'll lose scholarships and be banned from post season play anywhere from 2-5 years. There's a chance they'll forfeit the 09 title, maybe even the 05 title.

It's weird that you're complaining they haven't been punished, when the reason for the delay is they found additional rules violations that will make the punishment worse. If the NCAA completes their investigation and doesn't punish UNC, they'll deserve all the ridicule and scorn that you're giving them (and I'll be right there with you). It's just odd to complain about a sentence before the trial is even finished.

We will see what come of the worst academic scandal of all time. Care to comment on all the penalties K and the Dukies have received for their transgressions? That's right, they are clean as a whistle and dont have any penalties. See Maggette, corey.

It would be nice if the NCAA would toss out a few press releases reminding the world that they are going to prosecute this matter against UNC. All I hear is crickets in the media.

I would appreciate the NCAA tossing us a nugget of hope that Minnesota isn't the only school to have records expunged and scholarships revoked. I am impatient regarding the lack of updates on the UNC scandal.

Top Bottom