McKnight to play in NFLPA Collegiate Bowl

Die Hard GGF

Reaction score
Per ESPN he'll be playing in the Collegiate Bowl on 1-21 in Carson California. Only Gopher I saw playing in post season. Anyone know of any others?

Hope he does well. I thought McKnight was a good player who made some plays for the Gophs. Hope he does well and impresses.

Hope his knee? is healed for this game. Would like to see him impress. I have no idea what was wrong but he seemed off during the season (thinking of Michigan State 'breakaway TD').

He already catches a lot of bad throws. Just needs to catch all of the easy ones as well. Could be a decent/good receiver in the NFL.

gopherbadgerman said:
Hope he does well. I thought McKnight was a good player who made some plays for the Gophs. Hope he does well and impresses.
He was a good WR - with Gray running so much the kid just didn't see the ball come his way too often. Or as often as it should have at times.

He was a good WR - with Gray running so much the kid just didn't see the ball come his way too often. Or as often as it should have at times.

He had an off year by just about every standard. He is a talented kid, but he had the "drops" all season and didn't make a lot of plays. I understand your point about Gray running a lot, but McKnight did not play up to his ability this season. That said, I wish him well and I think he is talented enough to play at the next level.

His difficulty is that he doesn't play special teams and I can't really envision a solid role for him on special teams in the NFL (doesn't seem like a KR, PR, or a coverage guy) and for those #4, #5, #6 WRs, you need to play special teams to earn a spot.

A lot will depend on his workouts, but I think McKnight has a good chance to play on Sundays. He's at least a solid developmental prospect in the increasingly pass-happy NFL. Nice size and can catch the ball in traffic. There's no question that he was frustrated by the inconsistency in the passing game this past season and it showed in his behavior at times. That has to improve. One thing we all need to remember is that McKnight didn't play a lot of high school football and he's still learning the game.

Count me as one who thinks McKnight will play on sundays, and play well.
He's just got the skill set I see in alot of good NFL receivers, in that he has a knack for using his body to shield defenders from the ball and can out jump/out adjust defenders.
As with all NFL prospects he'll need to get into the right system, but I think he's a good fit for most NFl offenses as a red zone target/possession guy. He would have played for the Vikes this year that's for sure.

Bob_Loblaw said:
He had an off year by just about every standard. He is a talented kid, but he had the "drops" all season and didn't make a lot of plays. I understand your point about Gray running a lot, but McKnight did not play up to his ability this season. That said, I wish him well and I think he is talented enough to play at the next level.

His difficulty is that he doesn't play special teams and I can't really envision a solid role for him on special teams in the NFL (doesn't seem like a KR, PR, or a coverage guy) and for those #4, #5, #6 WRs, you need to play special teams to earn a spot.

I believe you are mistaking him for Moulton. I watched all the games and he just did not see many balls come his way until the end of the year. More so the St. game 9-137 3TD.

I believe you are mistaking him for Moulton. I watched all the games and he just did not see many balls come his way until the end of the year. More so the St. game 9-137 3TD.
When it was going his way at the beginning of the year it seemed he didn't catch it with much frequency and when he didn't catch it would always look for PI.

As far as receptions go, he averaged 4.2 receptions in the first six games, and 4.3 receptions per game in the last six. And he did have a 9-reception game against New Mexico St as well.

Moulton dropped some passes too, but McKnight was having issues catching the ball last season at times too.

It would be easier to make a guess if I knew the kid personally, but I also think he makes an impact on Sundays. He was here for a very strange 4 years and it would have been very easy to have done nothing this past year. If he's up to the task of NFL competition, I'd take him on my team.

Top Bottom