McFeely: Fleck, not Klieman or Bohl, the Next Big Thing

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per McFeely:

That the University of Minnesota wants to hire P.J. Fleck from Western Michigan to be its next football coach seems logical. He is the Next Big Thing in the college game, the fast-talking salesman who led a small-conference school to national notoriety and a big-time bowl game.

You would like to think that if the brains running the Gophers athletic department want Fleck to be the guy, they would already have some assurance that he wants the job before they fired Tweeting Tracy Claeys. You'd like to think.

This being the University of Minnesota, you never know. But a strong hint might be that Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle didn't dismiss Claeys until one day after Fleck's Western Michigan squad lost to Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl. The timing seems to point to Fleck being the next coach to try and resurrect the long-dormant Gophers program.

That would be the No. 1 reason why an ESPN report naming North Dakota State coach Chris Klieman as one of several possible candidates to replace Claeys was flattering to the Bison coach, but probably nothing more than water-cooler material. If the Gophers already had Fleck in their sights and were confident (or assured) they could get him, there really were no other candidates.

Even if Fleck gets away from Coyle and Minnesota president Eric Kaler, the idea of Klieman going to the Gophers is a long shot. Perhaps the longest of shots among all the names tossed around—Les Miles, Bryan Harsin, Greg Schiano, Craig Bohl (remember him?).

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4192564-mcfeely-fleck-not-klieman-or-bohl-next-big-thing

Go Gophers!!

Long dormat? The Gophers have won two bowl games in a row and have finished 3rd twice in two years.

$6.5 million buy-out would be the big reason. Also no guarantee Bohl would leave Wyoming.

Long dormat? The Gophers have won two bowl games in a row and have finished 3rd twice in two years.

We talking 'bout Conference Championships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea where "inforum" is located, but that has to be the single most passive aggressive article I've ever seen written.

I have no idea where "inforum" is located, but that has to be the single most passive aggressive article I've ever seen written.

I just read the whole thing. Wow. Shots fired. Sorry that we don't want your coach, Mike.

Why do not professional writers understand what the definition of notorious is?

Secondly, why do professional broadcasters keep commenting on how "ofTen" something happens? The T if often is silent and should never be heard. Even broadcasters like John Saunders keep feeling the need to add a hard "T" to "often. How do they say "Crist mas? Merry Christttttt mas

famous or well known, typically for some bad quality or deed.
"Los Angeles is notorious for its smog"

synonyms: infamous, scandalous; More

I'll take Bohl

No Chance. Wyoming just signed him to an extension with a 6 million dollar buy out. That's more than our admin likes to spend on coaches in 3 years.

Why do not professional writers understand what the definition of notorious is?

Secondly, why do professional broadcasters keep commenting on how "ofTen" something happens? The T if often is silent and should never be heard. Even broadcasters like John Saunders keep feeling the need to add a hard "T" to "often. How do they say "Crist mas? Merry Christttttt mas

famous or well known, typically for some bad quality or deed.
"Los Angeles is notorious for its smog"

synonyms: infamous, scandalous; More

The inappropriate "hard T," along with the inappropriate use of adjectives in place of adverbs, is one of my pet peeves.

Top Bottom