McDonald redshirt - not sure where to put this

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether on not to piggyback on another thread, but here's a thought:

Would McDonald be eligible for a medical redshirt after playing one game in which he incurred an infection in his knee (according to reports) and not burn his redshirt for this year?

Wasn't sure whether on not to piggyback on another thread, but here's a thought:

Would McDonald be eligible for a medical redshirt after playing one game in which he incurred an infection in his knee (according to reports) and not burn his redshirt for this year?

I'm pretty sure he would have to be injured/sick for the majority of the season for this to occur. Something like that.

Kill said he is fine, just didn't play because he's struggling to learn the offense and things were going well with the receivers so they wanted to go with the hot hands.

In other words, it's a nice way of saying that he isn't performing well in practice.

No. He'd have to be incapable of playing the remainder of the season, which the team has indicated is not the case.

Sorry if I'm off-topic, I think Andre is probably the biggest concern I have right now when looking at the long-term future of the program.

This is a highly-touted local prospect who isn't seeing the field. His commitment was high profile and I know we're going to have other 4 and 5-star kids who look at him as a case study for the future.

While it's possible he's simply not performing in practice, I think it's a playbook, discipline, or attitude issue and while I respect Kill for cracking the whip and not playing him; I worry what it means if he becomes Walker Ashley.

He's a true freshman. It doesn't say anything about the long-term future of the program, recruits aren't going to be looking at him as a case study. Kill thinks he's not ready to play, that he's not the best option that the Gophers have at WR right now. On what do you base your claims that he's the next Walker Ashley?

He's a true freshman. It doesn't say anything about the long-term future of the program, recruits aren't going to be looking at him as a case study. Kill thinks he's not ready to play, that he's not the best option that the Gophers have at WR right now. On what do you base your claims that he's the next Walker Ashley?

Rodent, I hope you realize that some people just like to babble something to start a rumor or controversy.

Sorry if I'm off-topic, I think Andre is probably the biggest concern I have right now when looking at the long-term future of the program.

This is a highly-touted local prospect who isn't seeing the field. His commitment was high profile and I know we're going to have other 4 and 5-star kids who look at him as a case study for the future.

While it's possible he's simply not performing in practice, I think it's a playbook, discipline, or attitude issue and while I respect Kill for cracking the whip and not playing him; I worry what it means if he becomes Walker Ashley.

Wow.

Are you serious? The kid played in the first game and then had an infection that kept him out of practice and game #2. Game #3 he didn't play because the WR'S were playing well and you are ready to jump to this conclusion?

In other words, it's a nice way of saying that he isn't performing well in practice.

Kill answered this in his weekly show last Thursday before the WMU game. He basically said that if McDonald were an upperclassmen and had a better idea of what goes into game preparation, he wouldn't have much trouble prepping for the game, but because he missed a couple of days of practice with the injury, it was unlikely he'd be in a position to contribute.

In general, you can get a medical hardship waiver if you're not cleared for more than 30% of the games. The only game McDonald wasn't cleared for was the UNH game.

In general, you can get a medical hardship waiver if you're not cleared for more than 30% of the games. The only game McDonald wasn't cleared for was the UNH game.

No - must be 30% (as defined - not a 'true' 30%) or less, all in the first half of the year. In addition, you must be incapable of playing from the time you're injured or have an illness through the end of the season.

If there is a heart issue and doctors say 'uhh... let's keep him out' and they continue to say 'keep him out' through the end of the season, then a medical hardship waiver should be straightforward and easy to obtain.

Hope everything with the ticker is mostly precautionary at this point and he turns out being fine.

You do realize he was a Max Shortell sub in away from having a pretty big opener at UNLV, right?

You do realize he was a Max Shortell sub in away from having a pretty big opener at UNLV, right?

You realize you are making conjecture on what ifs? Tell us about the dream you had last night while you're at it.

Feel pretty bad I roasted the guy now that he's having health problems.

Hope he's well and since it sounds like a legit medical problem--- I take back my concern about his off the field work ethic. As I did before, wish him the best.

You realize you are making conjecture on what ifs? Tell us about the dream you had last night while you're at it.

In a way, but the fact that he could have had a big game tells me a lot. He was getting open which is the first step of what a receiver needs to do. The quarterback has to deliver that ball to him in order for the receiver to make a play. Thus, he played quite well.

Either they are confident McDonald can get a RS or something weird is going on. Per a tweet from Marcus:

"#Gophers WR Andre McDonald didn't make the trip to Iowa. Coach Jerry Kill said McDonald was cleared to Wed. He was not on the injury report"

Go Gophers!!

Either they are confident McDonald can get a RS or something weird is going on. Per a tweet from Marcus:

"#Gophers WR Andre McDonald didn't make the trip to Iowa. Coach Jerry Kill said McDonald was cleared to Wed. He was not on the injury report"

Go Gophers!!

If he's been cleared then he cannot receive a medical hardship waiver. My guess is they're holding him out because he has missed so much practice.

Top Bottom