Mbakwe, Minnesota poised to reach potential - YAHOO SPORTS

“He’s matured because of everything he’s had to go through,” Minnesota coach Tubby Smith said.

Mbakwe has certainly grown as a player, earning first-team All-Big Ten preseason recognition. He averaged 14 points and a conference-leading 10.5 rebounds as a junior. Hopes are again high that he can reach the potential so many saw for him as a prep phenom.

“I kind of flew under the radar for a little bit,” he said. “Not playing in so long definitely played a part. I’m expecting a big season for myself and my teammates.”

Mbakwe’s stock began to rise this summer when he played for the United States in the World University Games in China. The burly, 6-foot-8 post player led his countrymen, averaging 11.4 points and 9.4 rebounds. U.S. coach Matt Painter came away impressed with Mbakwe, not just for his ferocity on the boards, but for the way he conducted himself.

“I had a very positive experience with him,” said Painter, the Purdue coach. “I thought he was a great player and a great person. He’s a very engaging good guy who wants to win.

“He’s not just one of the best players in the Big Ten, he’s one of the best players in the country. He can dominate the game on the glass. He can dominate with his shot-blocking ability. He’s big, he’s physical, he’s fast and he’s a good teammate.

“With those qualities, it obviously makes Minnesota a big-time threat in our league.”

-So happy for Trev & his bright future.

Top Bottom