Mbakwe, Minnesota poised to reach potential - Nice article!

Blizzard

Reaction score
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...nesota_mbakwe_poised_to_reach_potential110311

ROSEMONT, Ill. – Trevor Mbakwe gazed across the crowded hotel ballroom, jam-packed with players and coaches conducting interviews on Big Ten basketball media day.

Trevor Mbakwe is finally beginning to realize his potential, and Minnesota is reaping the benefits.

He couldn’t help but reflect upon where he’s been.

Amid the masses, the Minnesota senior forward focused on a familiar face from his past.

“It’s weird to see Coach Crean over there,” said Mbakwe, who began his college career in 2007 for current Indiana coach Tom Crean, then the boss at Marquette.

“It’s been a long road.”

And a twisted one.

Touted as one of the top players in the nation coming out of St. Bernard’s High School in St. Paul, Minn., Mbakwe matriculated to Marquette with huge expectations.

A knee injury that required surgery put the brakes on much of his freshman season, limiting him to just 11 games. After the season, Crean left the program for the job at Indiana and Mbakwe decided to transfer, heading to Miami Dade Community College.

There things really unraveled. Mbakwe was charged with felony assault in April 2009. A woman claimed she was attacked outside a team party and identified Mbakwe through a photo. Mbakwe maintained it was mistaken identity. The case has yet to reach a resolution, in part because Mbakwe has been dealing with another legal issue, a claim by a former girlfriend he violated a restraining order by contacting her on Facebook.

Mbakwe’s attempts at a fresh start back in Minnesota have been hamstrung by his off-court concerns. He wasn’t cleared to play for the Gophers until August of 2010 when he enrolled in a pre-trial intervention program regarding the assault case. Neither the assault case nor the restraining order claim will come to their completion until after this season.

Entering his final college year, the once-ballyhooed recruit said he is focusing solely on basketball. Back in the headlines because of his game, he seems at ease despite the constant chaos.

“He’s matured because of everything he’s had to go through,” Minnesota coach Tubby Smith said.

Mbakwe has certainly grown as a player, earning first-team All-Big Ten preseason recognition. He averaged 14 points and a conference-leading 10.5 rebounds as a junior. Hopes are again high that he can reach the potential so many saw for him as a prep phenom.

“I kind of flew under the radar for a little bit,” he said. “Not playing in so long definitely played a part. I’m expecting a big season for myself and my teammates.”

Mbakwe’s stock began to rise this summer when he played for the United States in the World University Games in China. The burly, 6-foot-8 post player led his countrymen, averaging 11.4 points and 9.4 rebounds. U.S. coach Matt Painter came away impressed with Mbakwe, not just for his ferocity on the boards, but for the way he conducted himself.

“I had a very positive experience with him,” said Painter, the Purdue coach. “I thought he was a great player and a great person. He’s a very engaging good guy who wants to win.

“He’s not just one of the best players in the Big Ten, he’s one of the best players in the country. He can dominate the game on the glass. He can dominate with his shot-blocking ability. He’s big, he’s physical, he’s fast and he’s a good teammate.

“With those qualities, it obviously makes Minnesota a big-time threat in our league.”

Trevor Mbakwe played only 11 games at Marquette before transferring to a junior college.

Mbakwe said he gained quite a bit from his excursion overseas. The interaction with Painter as well as his teammates and adversaries proved beneficial.

“Any time you are able to go out of the country and play against some of the top guys around the world and get that experience … it was great for me,” he said.

“I saw what it takes to compete at that level on a daily basis. Playing with guys like [Alabama’s] JaMychal Green and [Michigan State’s] Draymond Green, you never can take a day off. That’s kind of what you need to go that next level. You are going to play against guys who are better than you on a daily basis.”

Painter also learned something while going to school on Mbakwe.

“They have a stat in international basketball, ‘FD,‘“Painter said. “I wanted to know: what the heck does FD mean on a boxscore? It’s fouls drawn. Trevor had games with eight, nine, 11, 12, where they simply couldn’t guard him because of his brute strength.”

Smith and the Gophers are counting on a Herculean effort from Mbakwe, named a captain along with fellow senior Ralph Sampson III . Last year, Minnesota dropped 10 of its final 11 games to finish 17-13 and miss the NCAA tournament. Injuries, departures and a leadership void left a talented team in tatters.

Mbakwe welcomes the challenge and the chance at redemption.

“I think last year I didn’t do as good of a job of being a leader as I could have,” Mbakwe said. “If I had been more aggressive down the stretch, we probably could have won some more games. That’s something I worked on and coach Smith expects from me, especially with the added pressure of being first-team All-Big Ten. I’m up for the role, I’m excited to lead this team and I think we can make a run.

“Our goal is to win the Big Ten. We definitely have the chance to. We have the talent. As a personal goal I definitely want to lead the league in rebounding and blocked shots. I’d like to be mentioned as one of the top players in the country.”

Minnesota’s formidable frontcourt with Mbakwe, the 6-11 Sampson and 6-7 Rodney Williams will give Big Ten coaches fits. Whether it’s at Williams Arena or on the road in Columbus, East Lansing or Madison, Sampson sees the potential to knock the opposition out of their comfort zone.

“I feel that we can be very intimidating,” Sampson said. “I’m a potent shot blocker and Trevor is a good defender. If you look down the court we have Rodney Williams who can jump out of the gym, block shots and get rebounds. We have a very athletic frontcourt. Teams will have to make adjustments going up against us.”

Smith sees an increased desire in Mbakwe. The senior has helped tutor young Gophers, such as freshman Andre Hollins and Williams, on the finer points. The question is can he maintain that mojo for an entire season.

“He certainly has shown it in practice so far,” Smith said. “He’s trying to be more consistent in his effort, playing both ends of the court.

“He’s given that effort. Now that he has everything behind him, I think he’s very focused on having a good year.”

On the court and away from court.

Top Bottom