Mbakwe expected to play HP Summer League, White uncertain

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from Marcus:

Mbakwe expected to play, White uncertain for Pulley league
By Marcus Fuller on June 15, 2010

Gophers junior forward Trevor Mbakwe is waiting for his assault case to go to trial next month. He's also waiting to hear back from the NCAA on a waiver request to possibly play right away if he were to decide to transfer to another school.

In the meantime, Mbakwe will join most of his University of Minnesota teammates this summer in the Howard Pulley Pro-Am league that starts Monday night at the Salvation Army in St. Paul.

League organizer Rene Pulley said Mbakwe would likely play with Gophers senior guard Blake Hoffarber on the Errol Carlstrom Playaz team.

The 6-foot-8, 240-pound Mbakwe and forward Royce White were Minnesota's top two recruits last year, and both wowed fans at the summer league. Pulley said he hadn't heard from White about playing this year.

Former Timberwolves player Troy Hudson, who had White on his team last summer, doesn't have a team this year.

"Right now Royce is unaffiliated, so naturally I won't get his name from the Gophers," Pulley said. "I have to actually hear from Royce personally."

It's uncertain whether Mbakwe and White will play for the Gophers next season. So the only chance local fans might get to watch them would be at the Pulley Pro-Am.

Other returning Gophers expected to play in the league are Al Nolen, Rodney Williams, Colton Iverson and Devoe Joseph (when he's not competing with the Canadian national team). Ralph Sampson III won't be in the league, Pulley said. Apparently he has other plans for the summer.

Incoming Gophers players expected to play are Austin Hollins, Elliott Eliason, Maverick Ahanmisi, Mo Walker and Eric Stark (walk-on). But Walker is back home in Canada. He is not registered for summer school because of a student visa issue. Oto Osenieks will attend summer school for a couple weeks, then will join the Latvian Under-20 national team to prepare for the European championships in July.

Pulley said he wanted to put 7-footers Eliason and Iverson on the same team. He will also try to put Hollins and Ahanmisi together with them. More than two incoming players are allowed to be on the same summer league team, according to NCAA rules.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/06/mbakwe-expected-to-play-white.html

Go Gophers!!

He is not registered for summer school because of a student visa issue. Anyone know if this is much of a problem? I'm thinking it wouldn't be since he attended school in the States recently. Probably just my paranoia kicking in.

He is not registered for summer school because of a student visa issue. Anyone know if this is much of a problem? I'm thinking it wouldn't be since he attended school in the States recently. Probably just my paranoia kicking in.

No, I'm pretty sure this happened to Devoe last year. I don't see it as much of a problem. It will get cleared up in the next few weeks i'm guessing.

Not related to Ray's post, It is really encouraging to hear Trevor is playing with, for, and around his gopher teammates. Hopefully he is found innocent, and He plays because we really could use a PF

There could be different issues, including getting through the NCAA Clearinghouse, and could present problems, depending on your definition of problems. He went to school in Canada for most of his life... With his size and weight history, it would be nice to have him enrolled right now, taking classes, getting acclimated, hanging with his teammates... and having our strength and conditioning guys on him.

On his side and the U's side, both may have done everything in their power to get the process rolling ... it can become an upsetting waiting game. Last year the wheels moved very slowly -- in the case of Marquette, there were a couple of guys who were not able to get to campus until August because of holdups with the NCAA Clearinghouse... one of those gentlemen, Junior Cadougan, was a Canadian who had played the previous year at a high school in Texas.. but, he was a Canadian and much of his education had been in Canada.

We may just have to wait and hope for things to move quickly

There could be different issues, including getting through the NCAA Clearinghouse, and could present problems, depending on your definition of problems. He went to school in Canada for most of his life... With his size and weight history, it would be nice to have him enrolled right now, taking classes, getting acclimated, hanging with his teammates... and having our strength and conditioning guys on him.

On his side and the U's side, both may have done everything in their power to get the process rolling ... it can become an upsetting waiting game. Last year the wheels moved very slowly -- in the case of Marquette, there were a couple of guys who were not able to get to campus until August because of holdups with the NCAA Clearinghouse... one of those gentlemen, Junior Cadougan, was a Canadian who had played the previous year at a high school in Texas.. but, he was a Canadian and much of his education had been in Canada.

We may just have to wait and hope for things to move quickly

Yeah, you're 100% right on that. Thanks for the info.

I'm disappointed we won't get to see Oto, and it's not looking good for Royce...

Nice.. sounds like Mo is here in the Twin Cities and all is good.

And he got to play in the All Canada Classic the other day and bang down low with one of the Bhullar boys (Sim.. 7'4" Indian)

per this update from Marcus:

Oto Osenieks will attend summer school for a couple weeks, then will join the Latvian Under-20 national team to prepare for the European championships in July.

underground629 said:
I'm disappointed we won't get to see Oto, and it's not looking good for Royce...

I think this may be outdated information from Marcus. My understanding is that he's not here yet, and won't be playing in the European championships.

If he's not playing in the European championships is he coming here late or not at all? Thanks in advance.

I think this may be outdated information from Marcus. My understanding is that he's not here yet, and won't be playing in the European championships.

If he's not playing in the European championships is he coming here late or not at all? Thanks in advance.

You can have all your ducks in a row, but still wait.. for a long time. Hopefully things get cleared up quickly and there are no significant issues. May not know how this will wind up for awhile.

Top Bottom