May 1947 Aircheck ... Spring Game

Goldmember

Reaction score
This is an Mp3 (Warning: 18 MB -- huge!) of a few broadcasts from 1947:

May 1947 Aircheck/ Spring Game/ Bernie Bierman

It includes an interview with Bernie Bierman and broadcast from the 1947 Spring Game.

Bierman was cetainly an austere fellow when it came to expectations. I think may of you who haven't ever heard it will enjoy.

It is important to note that at the time of the bombing of Pearl Harbor the Golden Gophers dominated the game as much (or more) than the Florida Gators do right now. World War II changed everything. BB went into the military and when he returned, despite having mostly good years, was never able to return the program to nearly the same level of success and national prominence. 1947 would have been his 3rd season back.

Very cool! Thank U!

loving seeing and hearing the old Gopher football highlights/news clips. never heard bernie bierman's voice before this mp3.

This is an Mp3 (Warning: 18 MB -- huge!) of a few broadcasts from 1947:

May 1947 Aircheck/ Spring Game/ Bernie Bierman

It includes an interview with Bernie Bierman and broadcast from the 1947 Spring Game.

Bierman was cetainly an austere fellow when it came to expectations. I think may of you who haven't ever heard it will enjoy.

It is important to note that at the time of the bombing of Pearl Harbor the Golden Gophers dominated the game as much (or more) than the Florida Gators do right now. World War II changed everything. BB went into the military and when he returned, despite having mostly good years, was never able to return the program to nearly the same level of success and national prominence. 1947 would have been his 3rd season back.

assume this is from WCCO radio back in the day??

Speaking of Gopher FB History....In the fall of '59 or '60, Murray Warmath was hung in effigy on the U of M campus. What happened the following season?

It was interesting to hear them talk about the "new defensive formations with 5 lineman, or even 3 with the rest scattered about in various patterns."

Great stuff!

Bierman sounds like Edward G. Robinson and the announcer sounds like he's out of the 1920s. Wish we could have a Spring Game that is "a regulation game in all respects," instead of this four 12-minute "running quarters" thing. Nebraska played a regular game last Saturday (though protecting the QBs) and drew 77,000 paying $10 each.

this is great!

It sounds a lot like a Bob and Ray routine.

Call me crazy, but I thought I caught them mention Play4Bier.com somewhere in there...

Its hard to realize

WCCO was not the only station who broadcast Gopher Games on Radio. If you go back to the sixties you had Ray on WCCO and Rod Trongard on either WLOL or WDGY. Both were on the AM band. And to think we now have, yes Dave Lee as the Voice of the Gophers.

Top Bottom