Max Christie to MSU.

You look at East Lansing, Michigan, hell even Lansing itself: nothing special.

School is historically an ag college, very much academically in the shadow of the elite U of MI. Again, nothing special.

But, wins breeds fan support which breeds dollars which breeds facilities and big dollar coaches which breeds recruiting wins which breeds wins.

Rinse. Repeat.

Self-reinforcing cycle, when you’re big enough to get on the radar of elite recruits.

Seems like impossible barriers to entry, for those not already in the club. Much to the approval to those that are in the club.

Rich get richer. And no new rich to dilute the riches, shall be allowed.

You look at East Lansing, Michigan, hell even Lansing itself: nothing special.

School is historically an ag college, very much academically in the shadow of the elite U of MI. Again, nothing special.

But, wins breeds fan support which breeds dollars which breeds facilities and big dollar coaches which breeds recruiting wins which breeds wins.

Rinse. Repeat.

Self-reinforcing cycle, when you’re big enough to get on the radar of elite recruits.

Seems like impossible barriers to entry, for those not already in the club. Much to the approval to those that are in the club.

Rich get richer. And no new rich to dilute the riches, shall be allowed.

First step for Izzo was keeping Michigan natives home. That was huge. Detroit, Flint, Lansing, others are full of top players.

Often overlooked in the early rise of MSU was the exact juxtaposition of Michigan's downfall (Ed Martin sanctions, lack of commitment from administration for some years). Izzo timed it right, got the Flintstones (who were probably Michigan leans when things went down with Ed Martin stuff), won a title, built a brand, and now continually keeps kids home. And, he is a helluva coach and a helluva motivator. His teams play hard, disciplined, tough, and skilled.

Ah, yes, let's celebrate Michigan St. getting another 5 star recruit because they're in the Big 10. Are you joking? You know we have to play them right?
Love playing against great teams, great players. Always been that way for me. As a competitor always wanted to play against the best around. Max will now be on the Big 10 network. Plus the domino's fall as he picks MSU , Duke will grab their next guy, Baldwin and Keels will speed up. I love college hoops.

Ah, yes, let's celebrate Michigan St. getting another 5 star recruit because they're in the Big 10. Are you joking? You know we have to play them right?
I like rooting for the Big Ten when they play other conferences. Except Wisc and Iowa.

Would rather the Big Ten be the best P6 league in college b-ball and have the Gophers win it, than winning the worst P6 league.

I like rooting for the Big Ten when they play other conferences. Except Wisc and Iowa.

Would rather the Big Ten be the best P6 league in college b-ball and have the Gophers win it, than winning the worst P6 league.
Agree. Love going against the best to become the best ! That is how you become nationally relevant.

I've been under the impression from many here that "stars" dont matter.

I've been under the impression from many here that "stars" dont matter.
Of course they matter but the real trick is who is giving the stars. I know coaches who knew their 4 star recruits were better than many that were getting 5 stars from internet sites. Being a really good player is more important if your coach can evaluate fit for his team. Max Christie is evaluated by every coach as a 5 star. He is already game level ready. Huge get.

Wonder if Michigan St fans give kudos on their boards when the gophs sign a player...
I have friends that are MSU fans and they always call when we get a player we are after. They come in town for the MSU - Gophs game when we play. In fact, i take them to the game. I will ask them if they post, pretty sure they are on the board.

If we signed a 5* recruit, they probably would mention it on their board.

If we signed a 5* recruit, they probably would mention it on their board.
Because it would be shocking lol, not necessarily a surprise when it comes from MSU though. I mean they just got a commitment from arguably the best player in all of high school basketball in Bates, that is worth mentioning (not just because i started that thread lol).

I am in the minority but i care about who coaches the other teams and who plays for them. It has a great deal to do with how well we might fare. Plus the added benefit of getting to see them play more often.

Wonder if Michigan St fans give kudos on their boards when the gophs sign a player...
It’s been over 20 years since a Big 10 team has won the national championship. For nearly as long the truly elite basketball players have went to programs outside of the Big 10 (perhaps Greg Oden was the last marquee player repping the B10?) So when this type of talent commits to a rival Big 10 team, yeah, it’s worth it’s own thread.

On it's own, I don't mind it being posted here. Another team in the Gophers' conference got a big time recruit, I'm okay with that being posted here. If I had been following recruiting as close as I sometimes do, I might have posted in the 2021 recruiting thread to mention that another Big Ten team got a 5 star player. Likewise with Makur Maker, a five star recruit committing to the type of program that usually just collects a check for a few hundred thousand dollars to get clobbered by a power conference team. That doesn't happen very often, it's an anomaly in college basketball on a national level.

Most of the people who saw this thread probably didn't know who this player was, since he's not being recruited by the Gophers, and isn't from Minnesota, and the OP doesn't tell you anything about him. As recently as the 2018 class, Romeo Langford (a top 10 recruit) and Jalen Smith entered the Big Ten, not to mention Daniel Oturu, so it's not like a player of this caliber hasn't committed to a Big Ten program in a decade or something. It seems like Indiana gets a player like this every other year. Although I was surprised to see that the Big Ten only got one 5 star player total in the 2019 and 2020 classes, that being Khristian Lander, a 2020 recruit committed to Indiana.

Plus, this post coming from someone who is very critical of our coach, and frequently reminds us that no other power conference program would want him, and that other teams' fans would be outraged if they hired him, starting a new thread to tell us about the exemplary accomplishments of some other coach, could feel a bit like a passive-aggressive shot at our own team/coach, even if it isn't meant that way.

Top Bottom