Max Brosmer vowing to be more efficient after disappointing debut

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Harrington:

Once the smoke cleared, North Carolina finished with more yards, plays and first downs than Minnesota. Brosmer understands that’s not a recipe for success, and wants to execute more efficiently.

“From both sides I think I have to do a way better job putting of the ball where it needs to be for the guys, because they did a really good job of getting open,” he said. “I think as any new player in any new conference, but especially the Big Ten, there’s an adjustment period that gets created.”

Everything starts up front with the big boys though, and they need to protect Brosmer better. The Tar Heels had a disruptive defensive line, and there were also times that Brosmer held onto the ball for too long. The offensive line needs to provide the signal-caller with enough time to locate his receivers downfield. Setting up more screen passes to the running backs will help too.

The six-foot-two, 225-pounder never expected it to be an easy transition to Power Four football. Brosmer embraces the learning curve, and challenges that the Golden Gophers are going to encounter this season.

“There are moments of gradual ups and downs of any line that you continue to take, and I think it’s just a matter of pushing forward,” the Georgia native said. “Continue to battle through times of extreme adversity, but also keeping a level head through times of great success and joy, which is what this team represents.”

Go Gophers!!

He threw for 430 yards against Rhode Island last season with New Hampshire's talent around him, so I figure our offensive game plan should get a buck fifty from him if he gets in a groove
If the Gophers get a lead, PJ will lock down the offense and they’ll end up with 12 pass attempts and Major with 43 carries. So you might be a bit optimistic with 150 passing yards.

He threw for 430 yards against Rhode Island last season with New Hampshire's talent around him, so I figure our offensive game plan should get a buck fifty from him if he gets in a groove
That's the problem though. Last week was a test, the next 2 aren't. Won't know anything more until game 4

That's the problem though. Last week was a test, the next 2 aren't. Won't know anything more until game 4
If they try to throw and still cant against URI or Nevada, I think we will know/confirm that the passing offense truly is doomed when they face better defenses. Won’t prove anything for future games if they do well, but doing poorly is definitely a bad sign.

Honestly, I really hope we call plays to his strengths instead of trying to force him to fit the program. Full disclosure, I have no idea what those strengths are, having barely seen the guy, but I trust the coaching staff does.

I know what you mean by “test,” but PJ is usually good for one “how did we lose that” game per year.

I think Nevada could be that game. They’re supposed to be awful, but they played SMU tight (don’t laugh, they’re a P4 team now!) and beat Troy on the road. Could be a Bowling Green situation.

When Max got caught by that big dude I then realized the emperor might not have any clothes on.

True but it will hopefully at least give them a chance for Max to get in a rhythm with his WRs. That's why most teams schedule cupcakes for their first game.

If the Gophers get a lead, PJ will lock down the offense and they’ll end up with 12 pass attempts and Major with 43 carries. So you might be a bit optimistic with 150 passing yards.
PJ has to start opening it up or he'll have losing seasons this year and next. With the West Coast teams in now, Tressel ball won't work.

PJ has to start opening it up or he'll have losing seasons this year and next. With the West Coast teams in now, Tressel ball won't work.
Not only that, but he'll continue to struggle recruiting QB's and WR's that don't want to play in his system.

It has been one game.....give the kid a chance to make adjustments. I get that some of you expect perfection in all things all the time but Max is 100% correct about the adjustment period while being accountable for the fact that he has to play better and continue to develop.

Who cares. He should be better against bad competition. It only matters if he’s good against good teams.

Umm, you're not concerned about Nevada? Think Bowling Green...

Anyone else surprised to see he’s listed at 6’2” and 225 pounds? He seems much smaller on the field to me.
Not a chance is he this tall or weigh that much!

EDIT: I just read (I should read these threads before commenting) that someone saw him at the SF and he is that tall... that is hard to believe, but ok. Looked like a High Schooler on the field with College guys to me.

Last edited:

Not a chance is he this tall or weigh that much!

EDIT: I just read (I should read these threads before commenting) that someone saw him at the SF and is he that tall... that is hard to believe, but ok. Looked like a High Schooler on the field with College guys to me.
Saw him at a Twins game and would agree on height. 225 seems high for weight.

Top Bottom