Max Boot: The GOP is now the party of neo-Confederates

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who has done more to divide the country in the last several years than the mighty Washington Post? Outstanding!!

In all reality, they've probably been doing this for a few decades, it's just been so much more transparent in the last several years.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Who has done more to divide the country in the last several years than the mighty Washington Post? Outstanding!!

In all reality, they've probably been doing this for a few decades, it's just been so much more transparent in the last several years.

Darn you Washington Post for reporting on polls that others have conducted! Why must you continue to report the news?!?!?!?

KGF

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
It looks to me like the polarization started about the time ‘identity politics’ was popularized by the Dems and got worse as Obama was President.

justthefacts

Reaction score
It looks to me like the polarization started about the time ‘identity politics’ was popularized by the Dems and got worse as Obama was President.

So in this theory there's something that Democrats could do that makes it acceptable for white people to use the n-word? You think talking about reparations makes it acceptable for white people to use the n-word? Or is it discussion of gay marriage that makes it acceptable for white people to use the n-word? Or perhaps you're saying that the Me Too movement has made it acceptable for white people to use the n-word?

KGF

Reaction score
So in this theory there's something that Democrats could do that makes it acceptable for white people to use the n-word? You think talking about reparations makes it acceptable for white people to use the n-word? Or is it discussion of gay marriage that makes it acceptable for white people to use the n-word? Or perhaps you're saying that the Me Too movement has made it acceptable for white people to use the n-word?
I don’t think it’s acceptable for anyone to use the n-word, black people included. If someone doesn’t want other people to use it, why would they use it?

Regarding your first point, if there is a point, race has been one of THE most significant categories of identity politics used by the left. It has to do with the use of the N-word. The others, not so much.

You really place a lot of importance and faith in polls, don’t you?

howeda7

Reaction score

They're prepping us for when Trump uses it or the tape of him using it comes out. The Fellas will defend him viscerally.

howeda7

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s acceptable for anyone to use the n-word, black people included. If someone doesn’t want other people to use it, why would they use it?

Regarding your first point, if there is a point, race has been one of THE most significant categories of identity politics used by the left. It has to do with the use of the N-word. The others, not so much.

Because one way to take the power out of a slur is to take ownership of it. Doesn't change the fact that's ridiculous that this is now a discussion in 2019 thanks to Trump.

justthefacts

Reaction score

So of it's not acceptable, why even bring up the point about Democrats and identity politics? How is what Democrats have done at all relevant to whether Republicans think it's acceptable to use the n-word?

Section2

Reaction score

Hold on a sec and hop off your high horse. According to that article, in 2005 only 50% of Democrats though the N word is offensive. Now it’s up 10 percent, and you’re shouting about this made up polarization?
Dems so badly wish it was the 1960s. It’s just not. The battles have been won already. It’s not good for the country to try to push us back there so you can be the hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Section2

Reaction score
So of it's not acceptable, why even bring up the point about Democrats and identity politics? How is what Democrats have done at all relevant to whether Republicans think it's acceptable to use the n-word?

Why did only half of Democrats think it’s acceptable and not offensive in 2005? Why do so many Democrats still think it’s acceptable?

justthefacts

Reaction score
Why did only half of Democrats think it’s acceptable and not offensive in 2005? Why do so many Democrats still think it’s acceptable?

I'm not sure, and it's awful. Many of the replies to the tweets are from Democrats worried about that. But I'm not going to blame Republicans for Democrats being racist. And I'm happy the number is trending downward.

KGF

Reaction score
I’m using it to explain why the Democrats line has changed, not the Republicans. I don’t know that the Republicans line is statistically significant since it has changed only slightly.

I don’t have access to the WaPo article, but it looks like you have two data points, 2006 and 2018. That’s not a lot of evidence to make conclusions about those trends, but you are implying that we can conclude something from it.

Section2

Reaction score
I'm not sure, and it's awful. Many of the replies to the tweets are from Democrats worried about that. But I'm not going to blame Republicans for Democrats being racist. And I'm happy the number is trending downward.

Do you believe that's true? I don't. It makes me question the entire thing.

Section2

Reaction score
I’m using it to explain why the Democrats line has changed, not the Republicans. I don’t know that the Republicans line is statistically significant since it has changed only slightly.

I don’t have access to the WaPo article, but it looks like you have two data points, 2006 and 2018. That’s not a lot of evidence to make conclusions about those trends, but you are implying that we can conclude something from it.

This thing reeks of "hey here's a study that makes Trump and Republicans look racist and bad?"

"Put it on page 1! Democracy Dies in Darkness!"

justthefacts

Reaction score
This thing reeks of "hey here's a study that makes Trump and Republicans look racist and bad?"

"Put it on page 1! Democracy Dies in Darkness!"

It's a poll. Do you have an issue with the methodology? Or do you not trust any polls?

https://today.yougov.com/topics/pol...it-comes-n-word-most-see-it-offensive-whoever
https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/iqa9xbuq8j/econTabReport.pdf

Honestly the strongest argument would be that the two different polls that are being used to show a trend aren't related and thus can't be treated as a comparison. That's probably true given that the 2018 poll actually doesn't use "Republican/Democrat" but instead uses "Conservative/Liberal" unless I'm looking at things wrong. But the fact remains that considerably fewer Conservatives find the n-word offensive than Liberals.

#neverTrumpers catch a lot of grief, but this is the type of argument where I think those individuals tend to really shine. Instead of saying, "I refuse to believe these numbers," they instead say, "we have to be serious about changing this if we want to save the soul of the party."

13Ux7qy.png

Section2

Reaction score
Honestly the strongest argument would be that the two different polls that are being used to show a trend aren't related and thus can't be treated as a comparison. That's probably true given that the 2018 poll actually doesn't use "Republican/Democrat" but instead uses "Conservative/Liberal" unless I'm looking at things wrong. But the fact remains that considerably fewer Conservatives find the n-word offensive than Liberals.

#neverTrumpers catch a lot of grief, but this is the type of argument where I think those individuals tend to really shine. Instead of saying, "I refuse to believe these numbers," they instead say, "we have to be serious about changing this if we want to save the soul of the party."

so you basically agree with me.

I bet the universe of words liberals are offended by is orders of magnitude larger than words that offend conservatives. Honestly, if you add in "inappropriate but not offensive" there's really not much difference between R and D. What's the substantive difference? I'm not personally offended by racial slurs.

Calling everything racist is tiresome. I've said many times I wish Trump would change his behavior, but I'm glad he's not cowering in fear to identity politics. I mean, Mario Lopez is trending for daring to suggest that 3 year olds aren't capable of determining that they aren't really a boy, they decided they are a girl. The world has gone mad. Trump is a reaction to that.

KGF

Reaction score

I bet the universe of words liberals are offended by is orders of magnitude larger than words that offend conservatives. Honestly, if you add in "inappropriate but not offensive" there's really not much difference between R and D. What's the substantive difference? I'm not personally offended by racial slurs.

Calling everything racist is tiresome. I've said many times I wish Trump would change his behavior, but I'm glad he's not cowering in fear to identity politics. I mean, Mario Lopez is trending for daring to suggest that 3 year olds aren't capable of determining that they aren't really a boy, they decided they are a girl. The world has gone mad. Trump is a reaction to that.
I’m not going to spend a bunch of time analyzing this poll, but it looks like justthenarrative was, as you said before, just trying to make Republicans look bad.

Independents were basically the same. And when you add “Offensive” and “Inappropriate” the difference between Republicans/Independents and Democrats was negligible, with Dems being a little more sensitive. The same is true for Whites and Blacks categories. Negligible differences.

Much ado about nothing. But howie gets to blame Trump. I guess he heard him say the n-word?

Last edited:

justthefacts

Reaction score
I’m not going to spend a bunch of time analyzing this poll, but it looks like justthenarrative was, as you said before, just trying to make Republicans look bad.

Independents were basically the same. And when you add “Offensive” and “Inappropriate” the difference between Republicans/Independents and Democrats was negligible, with Dems being a little more sensitive. The same is true for Whites and Blacks categories. Negligible differences.

Much ado about nothing. But howie gets to blame Trump. I guess he heard him say the n-word?

87 - 66 = 21 is not "negligible"

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Offensive is such a widely interpreted term. To some people, a massive amount of what they see and hear on a daily basis is considered offensive; to others, there is very, very little that they would actually consider offensive.

Even for something like the n-word, I would imagine that people's opinion of how offensive it is varies widely based on just who is using the word; apparently for many, it's not offensive to hear blacks using the word, but to hear anyone else use it, MASSIVELY offensive. If I heard my Mom using that word, it would be pretty offensive probably; a long-time friend or co-worker, probably less; a black person saying it on tv, probably not at all? Hearing an uneducated neanderthal using it, maybe not that offensive, but a white-collar suit-and-tie guy, maybe more so? Or less? Who the hell knows?

The poll seems pretty ridiculous, I don't know that you can glean any meaningful information from it whatsoever, and 1500 isn't exactly a massive sample size, particularly if they drew most of it from a relatively small geographic region. Language varies all over the country, north, south, east, west, urban, rural, blue-collar environment, white-collar environment, et al.

The overriding point though, is that you can expect to see a sh*tload of polls in the next 12-15 months that will be geared towards painting certain demographics as more racist, bigoted, sexist than another. I wonder why that is...

KGF

Reaction score
The overriding point though, is that you can expect to see a sh*tload of polls in the next 12-15 months that will be geared towards painting certain demographics as more racist, bigoted, sexist than another. I wonder why that is...
And justthenarrative will be here to post them.

cncmin

Reaction score

Yes, there is a large portion of truth in what you have posted here. People get tired of excessive political correctness. The Dems pushing constant calls of racism! racism! isn't going to win them a Presidential election in 2020. For instance, Corey Booker is talented, very nice, and is a legitimate candidate for POTUS. But nobody really knows what Corey Booker cares about anymore, other than his fight against racial profiling in our justice system. That's very good to fight for, but cannot be the only thing if you want to attract voters. Enough. It needs to be a subject, but we have a lot more problems in this country than just that alone.

WoodburyTim

Reaction score
Today's Republican party is essentially the same platform of the 1996 Democratic platform. Today's Democratic platform is nothing that we have ever seen in our political system. It is a radical platform. Sorry fellas but that is simply the truth. A radical party that wants to tear down our economic and social system with no discernible plan to replace it. The only comparable in modern politics are the Nazis and the revolutionists of of early 1900's Russia. Sorry kids but that is truth.

stocker08

Reaction score
Today's Republican party is essentially the same platform of the 1996 Democratic platform. Today's Democratic platform is nothing that we have ever seen in our political system. It is a radical platform. Sorry fellas but that is simply the truth. A radical party that wants to tear down our economic and social system with no discernible plan to replace it. The only comparable in modern politics are the Nazis and the revolutionists of of early 1900's Russia. Sorry kids but that is truth.

Looks like we've got another infowars follower.

Section2

Reaction score
Naturally, anyone who disagrees with lefties is a fill in the blank.

a) don't feed stocker
b) Democrats have moved so far left in such a short time that the policies of Obama are now completely unacceptable. His major climate achievement is "kindergarten stuff". His signature health care program is a disaster, leaving millions uninsured, and costs have risen unabated. His deportation policy is racist, and his child separation policy heartless.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
a) don't feed stocker
b) Democrats have moved so far left in such a short time that the policies of Obama are now completely unacceptable. His major climate achievement is "kindergarten stuff". His signature health care program is a disaster, leaving millions uninsured, and costs have risen unabated. His deportation policy is racist, and his child separation policy heartless.

I warned you to be scared of the pendulum swing from electing Trumpster.

Top Bottom